Too late for a Darwin Award...

... he already has a four year old son:

http://www.fgtnews.com/random/skydiving-stunt-to-attempt-jump-without-a-parachute-or-wingsuit-on-hea...

Brief extracts for those who hate links:

Luke Aikans, a professional skydiver who performed stunts for films such as “Iron Man 3,” will jump out of a plane from 25,000 feet Saturday. He is the first person to attempt to land safely on a net.

At least it's all been carefully calculated and researched, to the extent of testing the landing device:

One of those 200-pound (91-kilogram) dummies didn’t bounce out. It crashed right through.

I'll bet he doesn't  sleep too soundly tonight.

Let's pray that it works out OK.

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

In the quest for fame, are there no limits? 

Seems strange that this type of stunt can take place while the rest of us cannot undertake the most menial of tasks without first having been subjected to a training course of one description or another. Will he also be wearing hi vis clothing?

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

I like this bit -

Fox has had little to say about the stunt other than it will be broadcast on a tape delay . . . . It contains a warning not to try this at home.

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

OOOPs

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Ah, yes.

If at first you don't succeed...

... skydiving's not for you.

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

It's just dawned on me.

He'll be aiming for a target about a third of the size of a football field.

How the heck does he maintain sight of that from 25 000 feet? He'd only have to lose it for a few seconds and drift a couple of hundred metres off his intended track - game over.

It'll be very interesting to see how this goes. I certainly wouldn't blame him if he changes his mind.

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

If you think that target looks small and the whole thing is somewhat scary, get a load of this.............MAD or WHAT !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L8UCfxmtSw

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Good for him.

I think.

It was obviously meticulously planned, but phrases like "rocks for brains" keep coming, unbidden, to mind. I suppose I'm just envious 'cos I'm such a wimp - never even tried it with a parachute.

Nice link from evo. While I can sort-of see the appeal, it just ain't for me.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent