The ousting of Luther Rahman, the disgraced former mayor of Tower Hamlets.

Was an inspiring example of people power in action. The Metropolitan Police Service had declined to bring a prosecution against Rahman and his supporters for their behaviour in the 2014 election -  so four private citizens decided to do it instead.They took on a powerful political machine and risked £1 million in cost, bankruptcy, and homelessness if they lost.

Well done.

This matter strikes at the very heart of democracy. There is whiff - an election imminent - of the Establishment wanting to bury this. Is the vote aligned to someone of the likes of Rahman now so significant politicians are scared of alienating it even in the face of clear wrong doing?

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Lutfur Rahman.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/26/guardian-view-lutfur-rahman-ethics-trump-ethnic...

The police need to be thoroughly investigated, and not by themselves, to establish why they are turning a blind eye to serious crime committed by minorities, not just in this case. 

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Why do the police turn a blind-eye to crimes committed by ethnic minorities?

The answer is obvious.  It's because the police are scared of being called "racist".  I think that sums it up.

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

@marg*e wrote:

Lutfur Rahman.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/26/guardian-view-lutfur-rahman-ethics-trump-ethnic...

The police need to be thoroughly investigated, and not by themselves, to establish why they are turning a blind eye to serious crime committed by minorities, not just in this case. 

Yes, absolutely.  

And a free press is essential for the freedom of all of us. An excellent result, brought on by a group of very brave citizen's. Kudos also to Andrew Gilligan, who refused to allow this attack on our democratic system to fade away.

Worthy of an honour IMO.   Well just think of the consequences had they not been caught. 

Now perhaps our police force will emboldened by these brave citizens and will ensure that discrepancies in postal voting for the upcoming GE will be investigated.

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

@merehazle wrote:

@marg*e wrote:

Lutfur Rahman.

Yes, absolutely.  

And a free press is essential for the freedom of all of us. An excellent result, brought on by a group of very brave citizen's. Kudos also to Andrew Gilligan, who refused to allow this attack on our democratic system to fade away.

Worthy of an honour IMO.   Well just think of the consequences had they not been caught. 

Now perhaps our police force will emboldened by these brave citizens and will ensure that discrepancies in postal voting for the upcoming GE will be investigated.

I agree that these issues ought to be investigated.  At least, by traditional British standards.

However, our Police Service is becoming increasingly diverse and multi-cultural.

This is bound to cause resistance to starting investigations which might have "unacceptable" results.

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Lutfur Rahman and his co-conspirators are right: the affair has badly damaged community relations.

Whereas before we harboured strong suspicions of what was going on in Raham's sector of the community both in London and other cities , we now know those suspicions to be proven fact.

They were not thinking just how much damage they might have done. It will be very interesting to see how Rotherham votes in the election. And the effects else where.  

I rather suspect that had us lesser mortals committed this crime we might have got an early morning call from the police. 

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

@malacandran wrote:

Why do the police turn a blind-eye to crimes committed by ethnic minorities?

The answer is obvious.  It's because the police are scared of being called "racist".  I think that sums it up.

Government statistics simply do not support that claim - quite the opposite.

If you are a member of one of the ethnic minorities you are far more likely to be charged following arrest - you are more likely to be convicted following a court case - you will likely receive a longer sentence on conviction.

For drug offences you are far more likely to be stopped and searched - if drugs are found you are more likely to receive a caution or charged with an offence.

Argue as much as you like about the above but claiming that police in general turn a blind eye to crimes committed by ethnic minorities simply has no basis in fact.  Of course individual cases can be highlighted to support such a proposition but for every one cited ten times as many cases where members of the ethnic minorities have been treated more harshly or members of the white majority are treated more leniently can be quoted.

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

I can't argue with any of that, we all know it goes on.

less or more nowadays I don't know, there isn't a large ethnic population where I live, not like the larger towns I'm in between.

However none of that explains to me why police, and not just police, social workers and others would allow the abuse of children to go on under their noses in case it offends minorities.

Sorry Mere for going off your subject.

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

@marg*e wrote:

I can't argue with any of that, we all know it goes on.

less or more nowadays I don't know, there isn't a large ethnic population where I live, not like the larger towns I'm in between.

However none of that explains to me why police, and not just police, social workers and others would allow the abuse of children to go on under their noses in case it offends minorities.

Sorry Mere for going off your subject.

Totally agree - It also doesn't explain why police, social workers and others allowed the likes of Saville or various politicians to carry out the abuse of children under their noses either.

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

It's because powerful people can do what they want, and enforce their will.

That's why they have gained power - because they are stronger than ordinary people.

People are divided into two classes - the strong, and the weak.

The strong get to be politicians.  The weak go to the polling stations, and vote for the politicians.

Isn't that so?

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

Those cases too are beyond comprehension to me, but we all know their being rich influential people had a lot to do with it.

The op, though was loosely about corruption/crime being ignored for fear of being labelled racist. 

IMO ignoring crime because of race is just as racist as blaming anyone for something because of their colour.

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

@marg*e wrote:

Those cases too are beyond comprehension to me, but we all know their being rich influential people had a lot to do with it.

The op, though was loosely about corruption/crime being ignored for fear of being labelled racist. 

IMO ignoring crime because of race is just as racist as blaming anyone for something because of their colour.

Yes. marg*e.   And even about so many other crimes.

Some do realise that that Islam is unable to compromise. For it to do so would be to admit that it is not completely in the right and what passes for its collective sanity depends totally on being seen to be completely right.

Add to that its perception of weakness inherent  in compromise and that is viewed by it to be a licence to take more and more liberties and you have the situation we are now in.  It is an alien attitude.

We now have failed councils soon to be followed by a failed state as we allow foreign criminals to walk our streets and not only that we are housing and feeding them. 

We hear that Kazi Islam, 18, has been found guilty of a bungled terror plot to groom a young man with learning difficulties to carry out a Lee Rigby copycat killing.  Would he be plotting that had he known for sure he was to be hung for it?  Hard labour for life would be better IMO. Then they cant really grasp the hope of their Martyrdom.  

So many daft sentences are offered.  And out they come for a chance to try exactly the same. The world has changed. And WE must change NOW!  

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent