Nurses told to stop using 'dearie' and 'love'

Nurses are being told not to call older patients "dearie" or "love" as they are deemed as offensive under new guidelines from the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).

Nurses have been told to use patients' preferred names and should speak "courteously and respectfully" to ensure dignity in care according to the NMC recommendations.

The guidelines, which are constructed around the views of older people, say poor communication can have serious consequences and can damage the relationship between a nurse and an older person.  But terms of endearment can be used in some areas if they are part of everyday speech-it may appear unusual if they are omitted, the draft guidance says.

The above was taken from Public Sector Magazine, I believe the story was also given the Wail treatment, But what do you think, Is all this guidance necessary, do we need to be coached on so many aspects of life and who gets paid to make up these initiatives?

Message 1 of 19
See Most Recent
18 REPLIES 18

They have little else to do it seems than nit pick ...I would think an elderly person is able to request not being called either,and that should be respected...if they are too ill to request that then I assume they are too ill to give a monkies what they are called and just want nursing.

Of course I may be wrong and this new hardline stance on patient treatment may well solve all the NHS trusts problems.

Message 2 of 19
See Most Recent

ps ..what are midwifes doing treating the elderly ?

Message 3 of 19
See Most Recent

''come on dearie breath ...now one more push ...well done lovey''

On another note I was speaking to a dutch girl who said saying ''you ok love'' for instance was very rude and disrespectful as its only used in holland if you actually love her....so it maybe purely a universal multicultural language thing.

Message 4 of 19
See Most Recent

I think for a man to address a woman of any age as 'love' is at best over familiar, at worst it could be construed as offensive. I don't really know if the same would apply if said by another woman. As for 'dearie' I didn't think anyone still used the term. I think the last time I heard it was from the lips of a Whitechapel strumpet looking for action in a Jack the Ripper movie.

Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 19
See Most Recent

Its quite a common saying round here love...thanks love is used a lot by lads to girls and girls to girls...men to men appears to be cheers mate....(which could be taken offensive to I suppose)  ... dearie Im with you ,the only people who I thought said that were old dearies lol

Still A bit of common sense on any level of staff and no need for a building full of people deciding what everyone should do to make themselves important or at best pretend to justify their own jobs. imo

Message 6 of 19
See Most Recent

When you get older, it bristles a bit to be called Dear, or my love. Especially if you still have all your marbles and don't feel old or unwell. I wouldn't mind being addressed by my Christian name, but Dear or Lovely is extremely patronising. If anyone calls me Dear or Lovely, they get the black glare...the one that shrivels them up and makes them think.😀

Message 7 of 19
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

When literally translated it is not offensive nor rude in Dutch.

The word "Lief" (my love) is indeed used between partners or lovers. No one in Holland would use it with a stranger. Not because it's rude or disrespectful, but it is just not done. My partner and I call each other Lief, but would never say it to anyone else. No one in Holland would use it in the way that it's used in English.

We might use the word "schat" (treasure) if you want a similar meaning. So, "Ben je ok schat?"  No one in Holland would take offense at that. It is used for any age group.

Message 8 of 19
See Most Recent

thanks harry for clearing it up what she meant...she had broken english (not bad mind..better than my dutch) and thats how she told me it felt being over here.'' you have a disrespectful language''  I dont think she meant we were diliberate just how it came across..

I was going to add Harry will know at end of post lol ..should have now 🙂

I like the way daughters speak louder at there mums when they get older..and the mums say why you shouting I am not deaf 

Message 9 of 19
See Most Recent

lambsy_uk
Conversationalist

@fallen-archie wrote:

Nurses are being told not to call older patients "dearie" or "love" as they are deemed as offensive under new guidelines from the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).

Nurses have been told to use patients' preferred names and should speak "courteously and respectfully" to ensure dignity in care according to the NMC recommendations.

The guidelines, which are constructed around the views of older people, say poor communication can have serious consequences and can damage the relationship between a nurse and an older person.  But terms of endearment can be used in some areas if they are part of everyday speech-it may appear unusual if they are omitted, the draft guidance says.

The above was taken from Public Sector Magazine, I believe the story was also given the Wail treatment, But what do you think, Is all this guidance necessary, do we need to be coached on so many aspects of life and who gets paid to make up these initiatives?

I've not read previous replies yet so apologies if I repeat anything.

I guess that with problems of poor care in homes and hospitals coming to light over the years then efforts have been made to address issues and make improvements. Your post suggests that some studies and assessments have been made, conclusions offered and actions presented. Perhaps it has been determined that the elderly feel respected and yet endeared if people use their given names, and that relationships can be built and maintained if staff get to know those in their care a bit better.

Poor communication can indeed have serious consequences and anything that assists good communication should be welcomed.

It does say that tems of endearment can be used; it seems respect and relationships are being promoted rather than endearment being disallowed!

Message 10 of 19
See Most Recent

@joamur_gosof wrote:

Its quite a common saying round here love...thanks love is used a lot by lads to girls and girls to girls...men to men appears to be cheers mate....(which could be taken offensive to I suppose)  ... dearie Im with you ,the only people who I thought said that were old dearies lol

Still A bit of common sense on any level of staff and no need for a building full of people deciding what everyone should do to make themselves important or at best pretend to justify their own jobs. imo

Yeh, and when asked "so what have you done to improve the care of the elderly?" you would be quite happy for them to shrug their shoulders and say "nowt to do really, just a bit of common sense from the carers will sort it out".

How about returning to the old improvement method of Throwing Money At It?!

"So Minister, what constructive measures have you taken to improve care for the elderly?"

"Well rather than engage with the elderly, ask them their thoughts and implement policies based on our findings; we thought if we just show we've spent more than the previous government on their welfare then that would sort the problems out".

Sound good?

Message 11 of 19
See Most Recent

Ask any Elderly person how they are treated in Hospital or in their own Homes by care staff

One of their major bugbares is being treated like a drooling senile old idiot by many many of the staff in Hospitals and working as carers for the Council

Of course they will also tell you about all the brilliant people who take care of them, but the number who Do treat them as senile is staggering.

Message 12 of 19
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Joamur, I thought she might not have had a very good command of English.

It takes time to get really fluent in any language and not everyone has a feel for languages. It's not just about learning words. Sayings, slang and humour are often the most difficult to translate. It does make for funny conversations though.

I always giggle when I hear Van Gaal speak to the reporters. He translates Dutch literally into English, which sounds hilarious to me.

Message 13 of 19
See Most Recent

I've spent some time recently in hospital over the last couple of weeks - came home today, (back in again next week!). I only have praise for the way I was treated both medically and personally. All the nurses asked how I wanted to be addressed with the occasional 'love' and 'sweetheart' thrown in. The senior staff, doctors and consultants, always used the prefix Mr. until requested by me to use my first name. Even if I hadn't been treated 'respectfully' then it wouldn't have bothered me so long as I had confidence in the way I was being treated medically.
Message 14 of 19
See Most Recent

That would be my priority too creeky,how I was treated medically...but others seem to feel the weight and importance of being addressed respectfully first....dont disagree with that as in part of the overall care but common sense and staff should already be there ..if not and they are disrespecting then I assume sack should be pending...on this as an announcement to improve elderly care by an ''Organization'' ...well who needs to justify doing something  springs to mind.

Message 15 of 19
See Most Recent

Years ago when neighbours spoke to each other and people were less selfish it was the norm to hear people refer to each other as Love, Darling, beautiful, and many many more harmless names said with affection not malice, friendliness not ignorance and above all without hint of disrespect. But things change. Now even the most tame remark can land you in deep dodoo with the PC brigade. Of course it's not nice to be ridiculed if that's how you take it but most would concur with creeky and be more thankful for getting good care.

Good to learn that you were well treated and looked after.

Message 16 of 19
See Most Recent

Lying in a hospital bed over the last few days I wasn't pondering over the way in which staff addressed me but rather over the far more interesting topic of the design of the hospital gown.

Who on Earth was it who came up with the idea of a garment that uses ties in the rear making it almost impossible for the wearer to either put on or take off?

Why have it opening at the rear rather than the front?  Far more procedures require quick and easy access to the front of the body, (injections, catheters, blood samples, heart monitoring etc.), than to the rear.

Patients hate them, leastways I've not come across one that didn't and when it comes to a matter of respect there is nothing less dignified than wearing a gown in public!!!!

Message 17 of 19
See Most Recent

@upthecreekyetagain wrote:

Lying in a hospital bed over the last few days I wasn't pondering over the way in which staff addressed me but rather over the far more interesting topic of the design of the hospital gown.

Who on Earth was it who came up with the idea of a garment that uses ties in the rear making it almost impossible for the wearer to either put on or take off?

Why have it opening at the rear rather than the front?  Far more procedures require quick and easy access to the front of the body, (injections, catheters, blood samples, heart monitoring etc.), than to the rear.

Patients hate them, leastways I've not come across one that didn't and when it comes to a matter of respect there is nothing less dignified than wearing a gown in public!!!!

That's something I've wondered about too. I assumed it was because fellow patients would be more offended by an accidental glimpse of your front tackle than your rear end. Maybe you should have asked someone.

I think the difficulty in taking them on and off could be improved by having much longer ties that you could wrap around and fasten at the front like kitchen aprons

Message 18 of 19
See Most Recent

It looks like there are alternatives available, these have been around since 2013. Probably too expensive for the NHS to adopt them.

http://www.today.com/health/hospital-introduces-new-gown-design-it-has-back-1B9519234

Message 19 of 19
See Most Recent