Is our heritage being chucked away?

The question was prompted by a couple of things. One was that I see really nice antique things being sold for little money or failing to sell at all.

Another thing was this:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-dorset-50370285/dorset-clearance-company-sees-rise-in-unwan...

A few examples? Some years back at the height of the desire for antiques a chap bought a superb dresser for £10,000. Value today? If he's lucky, it might make £800 - £1,000.

I remember an absolutely superb Victorian bedroom suite selling (yes, here on ebay) for over £6,000, what's it worth now? Will it sell at all?

A standby in all antique shops were Brass candlesticks, Copper kettles and Warming Pans. In good times past, a relatively ordinary pair of candlesticks were £60, today you could buy five pairs for £10 - £15.

The finest large Copper kettle was £120. Now, less than £20 and I've seen Warming Pans sell now for £5 - £10.

Silver? Lots of really good antique Silver is being sold at scrap price.

When antiques were at their height, we bemoaned times past when old things were chopped up or scrapped. It's happening again now!!

Even furniture that's "only" vintage is going to the skip because people would rather pay through the nose (on the drip?) to buy new stuff, a lot of which is little more than woodchips!!!

Is there anything anyone can say or do to reverse this trend for such a dreadful waste?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

It's all down to supply and demand, just like any other type of goods

I think with regards to 'vintage' furniture such as G-Plan and the like that prices are far more realistic now than they were a few years back when they were demanding ridiculously high prices.

Brass candlesticks were made in the hundreds of thousands, (if not millions), and have little use today other than time consuming decorations.  

Far too much "rubbish" is advertised as antique/vintage and realistically is only suitable for recycling.

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

Supply and demand eh?

Well years back the supply was the same so demand has dropped off?

Suitable for recycling? How do you recycle a (for instance) Georgian corner cupboard? Selling now for a minute fraction of wht they used to. One sold for £2 a few weeks back.

Ceramics now. Beswick used to be in high demand, now some things only go for a few pounds. How'd you recycle those?

Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Good 'brown' furniture is in demand now...it's being 'upcycled' and repainted.  I love painted furniture and have rescued a few pieces and painted them. They don't cost much, indeed, the paint costs more than the furniture, but they look nice when done up, and it gives them a new life. I would far rather have a nice rejuvenated unique old piece, than something from Ikea.

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

Yep, fashion changes inevitably, upcycled retro is popular these days. I have to say I like it when I wouldn't have given it a second look thirty years ago.

Enough time has passed for renewed interest, especially with a bit of contemporary tweaking. I love those upcycling programmes and wish I had a big shed / workshop!
All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

I'm glad the furniture is much cheaper, I love it.

Don't particularly like old china ornaments etc, they are just dust collectors to me but give me a well made solid piece of old oak furniture over Ikea any day.

Trouble is my little place is running out of space Woman Sad

Next mood swing in six minutes.
Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

Running out of space is often the reason for sales.  Fashions in furniture and ornaments change all the time and some people will throw out things which have become unfashionable, only to find them coming back "in" again after a number of years.  Because there are now fewer of these items, the prices rise!  Who knows, maybe an Ikea wardrobe will be rare one day!

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

Who'd have thought stuff like G-Plan would be "in"? There's loads of retro furniture by makers most have never heard of which is making (what seems like) big money?

At one time repro furniture was a good regular seller, for instance, a "Mahogany" bow front corner display cabinet was about £100. A couple of weeks ago one was sold for £8 and it had been painted grey! An untouched one made £5!

"Ornaments" were always good sellers but not so now. Candlesticks? Common pairs which were perfect, stood properly, had no "wobbles"  and had been polished were around £60. Five pairs were on offer a month ago and would have been sold for around £30 the lot but they couldn't get a bid at all.

Beswick? It was all the rage a few years back. Back then a rearing Beswick Hunstman made £480 on ebay. In a recent auction one made a bit over £100.

Copper kettles, warming pans, the mainstay of antique shops are going for very little money these days. Like you say, fashions change! Sad innit?

Live long and prosper.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent