How many of you would take in a Refugee family

How many people on Ebay would take a refugee family into there own home? I wouldent..
......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 1 of 31
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey, just a quick reminder to stay on topic Smiley Happy 

Please remember that on these boards, courteous and respectful postings are expected from all participants.

Thanks!

Message 29 of 31
See Most Recent
30 REPLIES 30

I physically couldn't Tommy because I live in a very tiny house but if I had the space and the resources, I think I probably would.

Message 2 of 31
See Most Recent

I definitely wouldn't, any more than I would take any strange family into my house.

Message 3 of 31
See Most Recent

To be fair, I don't think many people would, Marge not in a normal-sized family home anyway.

If I had a massive house with a lot of empty rooms and my kids were all grown up and left home I would probably consider it on a very short term basis or if I had a holiday home somewhere standing empty, then I definitely would.

Message 4 of 31
See Most Recent

I don't even encourage my own family to stay, however there is a self contained annexe through from our main lounge and I would let a family with children stay there short term, possibly followed by another when they go, if the first lot were ok. And so on. Someone would have to cover the bills, though. I can't afford to pay winter fuel costs, food etc. for a family.
we used to rent that part of the house out as it has its own front door.
Message 5 of 31
See Most Recent

I just know someone will shoot me down for saying this but..........

Whilst I have nothing against any race, creed, colour or religion ( I have good friends who fall into all of these catagories) I do think the refugees and most other foreigners who have come here lately are ungrateful and rude, and sometimes criminal.

You see them on telly all the time in the camps at calais etc, making demands, waving their fists, and shouting about their rights. They don't ask - they demand. And when they get what they want, they complain it's not enough.

This happened yesterday............... My son is a carpenter and his firm sent him to a school refurbishment job. He was up a step ladder doing his job when a group of foreign plumbers walked past. One of them kicked the ladder out from under him and he fell off. It was just good luck that he didn't fall on his own screwdriver. As they started to walk away laughing my son chased after him. He turned and brandished a screwdriver of his own in my sons face. He then walked away again shouting to my son  "F*****g jobs are for Polish. You leave". My son reported the incident to the site manager and they all denied it saying he had made racist comments.. My son is not a racist, and even if he were it's unlikely that he would have started something with a group of 5 when he was on his own and in a precarious position up a ladder. I've been worried sick all day today untill he came home safely.

What on earth makes them think they can come here and have more right to a job than my son. They were no more than dangerous thugs. Thank goodness the children were not back in school yet. We all feel quite shaken by this.

A year ago I may have answered yes to your question. Now, I would take in a child but otherwise, no.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 6 of 31
See Most Recent

No-one should shoot you down , or your son, for telling the truth. This is the face of the real world, not the beautiful, fairyland Utopia that  multiculturalism is supposed to be, where everyone loves each other like a brother, or sister. That Utopian view is wonderful, and is something we would all dream about, but it is never going to happen. 

In answer to the OP, no...I would not take in refugees. The majority are of the Islamic Faith, and as I have a family member who happens to be gay, their views on that subject are abhorrent to me.

Message 7 of 31
See Most Recent

@023mjc wrote:

I just know someone will shoot me down for saying this but..........

Whilst I have nothing against any race, creed, colour or religion ( I have good friends who fall into all of these catagories) I do think the refugees and most other foreigners who have come here lately are ungrateful and rude, and sometimes criminal.

You see them on telly all the time in the camps at calais etc, making demands, waving their fists, and shouting about their rights. They don't ask - they demand. And when they get what they want, they complain it's not enough.

This happened yesterday............... My son is a carpenter and his firm sent him to a school refurbishment job. He was up a step ladder doing his job when a group of foreign plumbers walked past. One of them kicked the ladder out from under him and he fell off. It was just good luck that he didn't fall on his own screwdriver. As they started to walk away laughing my son chased after him. He turned and brandished a screwdriver of his own in my sons face. He then walked away again shouting to my son  "F*****g jobs are for Polish. You leave". My son reported the incident to the site manager and they all denied it saying he had made racist comments.. My son is not a racist, and even if he were it's unlikely that he would have started something with a group of 5 when he was on his own and in a precarious position up a ladder. I've been worried sick all day today untill he came home safely.

What on earth makes them think they can come here and have more right to a job than my son. They were no more than dangerous thugs. Thank goodness the children were not back in school yet. We all feel quite shaken by this.

A year ago I may have answered yes to your question. Now, I would take in a child but otherwise, no.

Pleased to hear that your son wasn't seriously injured and that you have friends in all those categories.

I would, however,  like to point out that Polish construction workers are NOT refugees.

In answer to tommy, with certain provisos, yes I would.

Message 8 of 31
See Most Recent

@023mjc wrote:

Whilst I have nothing against any race, creed, colour or religion ( I have good friends who fall into all of these catagories)....

Wow. Two cliches for the price of one - You could've saved a few words with "I'm not racist but..."

@023mjc wrote:

I do think the refugees and most other foreigners who have come here lately are ungrateful and rude, and sometimes criminal.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm, just hmm. I hope you'll forgive my skepism, but I smell BS.  Next up, meet the UKIP-supporting LGBT rights activist...

And in answer to the OP, if I had the room, yes.

Message 9 of 31
See Most Recent

As a Brit.expat. permanently residing in a country which, apart from its numerous well publicised problems, is also used on a 'hop-on/hop-off' basis by thousands of illegal immigrants flowing from the war-torn Middle East !

I am horrified to see, in the last few years, the dramatic rise of 'Golden Dawn', one of the most virulent racist parties in Western Europe, exploiting to the full the classic recipe...e.g. "They'll take away our jobs"..."They'll never adapt to our customs"..."They all carry contagious diseases"...etc etc etc !

Would I give shelter ? I have a large house, so probably yes, but with emphasis on the word 'probably'. That would mean constantly looking over my shoulder to see how my neighbours would react who, as things stand at the moment, would not be at all happy !

"Non Recuso Laborem"

Message 10 of 31
See Most Recent

@astrologica wrote:

No-one should shoot you down , or your son, for telling the truth. This is the face of the real world, not the beautiful, fairyland Utopia that  multiculturalism is supposed to be, where everyone loves each other like a brother, or sister. That Utopian view is wonderful, and is something we would all dream about, but it is never going to happen. 

In answer to the OP, no...I would not take in refugees. The majority are of the Islamic Faith, and as I have a family member who happens to be gay, their views on that subject are abhorrent to me.

I can't speak for anyone else, Astro but I certainly don't believe in a Utopian world where we all love each other etc ....quite the opposite sadly!

But as a human being, it breaks my heart to see this kind of suffering and degradation happening to other human beings...innocent children and babies? How can anyone NOT be upset by it?

Are we so complacent that we think something like this could never happen to us in this country?

Who could have imagined in their darkest nightmares that the horrors of the holocaust could have happened in modern day Germany but they did?

None of us know what life has in store for our future generations but I would like to hope that if we ever did have to flee our homes and leave everything behind that there would be people out there somewhere who cared enough to help regardless of our religion, culture or the colour of our skin.

Message 11 of 31
See Most Recent

Mum and Dad took in a family of Hungarian refugees in the mid fifties for 18 months who became friends for life.  If the opportunity arose I would certainly consider taking in a family.

Message 12 of 31
See Most Recent

When all our own homeless have a roof over thier head,

All our children are fed and have shoes to wear to school, our NHS works properley.

I can get my children into the school of my choice,

English is the only language spoken in England and we stand up and fight for OUR beliefs (we are a Christian country after all)

Once we have put our own house in order - then I will think about it.

Am I racist - NO, just a white, english, christian male trying to bring up a family in the country my forefathers died for.

Message 13 of 31
See Most Recent

And the world will never be a better place when getting your child into a school of your choice is more important than the life of a stranger in real hardship.

Message 14 of 31
See Most Recent

Refugees ??

Europe is being extorted by emotional blackmail from within & without

Yes, some on the road are real Refugees

BUT

The latest family interviewed on Sky news, have lived in the Lebanon for FIVE years, the little Tot whose body was in the surf, his family have lived in Turkey for over 3 years. Many 100s of the people crossing into Hungary come from Pakistan, there are Afghans, some of them are Palestinians. They never  talk to or appear on the media

Most of the 'Refugees' at Calais are single young men, statistically impossible if they were real refugees

Loads crossing the Med from North Africa are also 'economic migrants' not Refugees

People on here know my politics, so may be surprised by this

But David Cameron is doing the right thing, help the people actually living in the Refugee camps surrounding the trouble spots

-------------------

Of course the Countries that exported the radical views which are causing most of the current Civil strife in the region, won't take any of the refugees, the extremely mega-rich Saudi Arabia and Gulf states are a NO GO AREA (I'm not forgetting the Wests involvement in numerous conflicts)

This says

“Why aren’t you letting them in, you have no decency!” 

(it is an Arab political cartoon questioning their own governments two-faced stance)

screen-shot-2015-09-03-at-4-14-55-pm.png

Message 15 of 31
See Most Recent

BH...what a sad creature you are. Resorting to personal abuse and insults again?  Predictable, to say the least. Over to you...cue...more bile.

Message 16 of 31
See Most Recent

Al I noticed that about the young men,if they're fleeing danger, where are their wives, mothers, daughters, sisters.

Have they been left to fend for themselves.

Why aren't these young healthy men fighting for their countries.

Message 17 of 31
See Most Recent

It's possible of course that these young men fear being inducted into one or another group and forced to participate in the atrocities. They are probably Facebook savvy and reject the kind of life offered in their own countries. If that is indeed the case who can blame them for seeking an alternative?

Message 18 of 31
See Most Recent

I think the question is not so much would any of us offer a roof to a refugee family, it is would we feed and cloth them, pay for their children's eduation and health care, provide them with pensions down the line, leave an inheritance to pay for their children's adult lives, etc, etc.

It is not a short term thing.   

A roof now is easy peasy ... but it is just the beginning. 

Message 19 of 31
See Most Recent

On a news item this morning, there was footage of the thousand or so people who had decided to walk to Austria. The reporter said that the pace of walking was being set by the young fit men at the front of the line. Bringing up at the rear were mothers pushing push chairs, with very young children trying to keep up. Some of those children collapsed, unable to go on. Now....why were those fit young men not helping their fellow refugees and carrying those children, or pushing the push chairs for those poor young mothers. We're they the same young men who were scrambling over their fellow refugees to get on trains at the station in Hungary? It doesn't show them in a very good light.

Message 20 of 31
See Most Recent