How many of you is going to take in Refugees

How many people on Ebay would take a refugee family into there own home?..... I wouldnt.....
......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 1 of 112
See Most Recent
111 REPLIES 111

Re: How many of you is going to take in Refugees

Anonymous
Not applicable

And you are?

Message 81 of 112
See Most Recent

Anyone who is normally resident in the UK is fully entitled to use the NHS etc. In that respect, Harry is no different to other posters here, except for those that live abroad.

Message 82 of 112
See Most Recent

@Anonymous wrote:

And you are?

New ID today, probably just to wind us up. Could be a newbie but more than likely an oldie in a new hat, nothing to be concerned about.

Smiley Happy

Message 83 of 112
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I know, one of the seven.....................

Message 84 of 112
See Most Recent

📚.....

Message 85 of 112
See Most Recent

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/over-8000-people-council-house-6470965 Over 8,000 people on council house waiting list for more than TEN years
......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 86 of 112
See Most Recent

Not sure of the significance of the number of people on the waiting list in Eire.

Message 87 of 112
See Most Recent

@upthecreekyetagain wrote:

Not sure of the significance of the number of people on the waiting list in Eire.

The refugees will get a house before those on the waiting list.. Wait and see..
Message 88 of 112
See Most Recent

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ulsters-vietnamese-build-a-future-against-the-odds-adam-alexand...
Message 89 of 112
See Most Recent

There are 7.7million familes in the UK and close to 1.9million of them are on council housing waiting lists. (2012 figures)

Message 90 of 112
See Most Recent

I think Tommy was trying to emphasise the housing crisis in general and that there is no housing stock to cater for the needs of incomers. Leaving Ireland out of the equation there are 7.7million familes in the UK and close to 1.9million of them are on council housing waiting lists. (2012 figures) That's over 24% of the population.

Message 91 of 112
See Most Recent

@jd.linklater wrote:

I think Tommy was trying to emphasise the housing crisis in general and that there is no housing stock to cater for the needs of incomers. Leaving Ireland out of the equation there are 7.7million familes in the UK and close to 1.9million of them are on council housing waiting lists. (2012 figures) That's over 24% of the population.

As i said lets wait and see who gets a house first..
Message 92 of 112
See Most Recent

http://newobserveronline.com/invaders-demand-houses-from-leftist-germans-in-wurzburg/
Message 93 of 112
See Most Recent

@jd.linklater wrote:

If those figures were correct and a quarter of the population were on council waiting lists and homeless then I would possibly agree with you - of course they aren't!

Message 94 of 112
See Most Recent

@jd.linklater wrote:

If those figures were correct and a quarter of the population were on council waiting lists and homeless then I would possibly agree with you - of course they aren't!

What do you think I just pluck these figures out of fresh air? I don't know why I need to post a link for everything I want to inform people about, can't you do your own searching?

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/family-demography/family-size/2012/family-size-rpt.html

http://www.gmb.org.uk/newsroom/housing-waiting-list

And incidentally I didn't say anything about them being homeless.

Message 95 of 112
See Most Recent

@jd.linklater wrote:

@jd.linklater wrote:

What do you think I just pluck these figures out of fresh air? I don't know why I need to post a link for everything I want to inform people about, can't you do your own searching?

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/family-demography/family-size/2012/family-size-rpt.html

http://www.gmb.org.uk/newsroom/housing-waiting-list

And incidentally I didn't say anything about them being homeless. If you think we have anywhere near enough housing units in this country to accommodate thousands of asylum seekers from the Middle East your head must be firmly embedded where the sun don't shine.

I think you need to read your own links Smiley Happy

There are 7.7 million families with dependent children - there are actually more than 26 million households in the UK

As regards the numbers on council waiting lists the link you quote is a summary of individual authority waiting lists and does not necessarily represent individual families, many of whom are on two or more lists.  Many families that are on the lists rent in the private sector paid for via housing benefit - many are not families at all but single individuals.

All of which makes a nonsense of any claim that 24% of the population are waiting for council houses.

No, I don't think you have pulled your figures out of fresh air but I do think you've totally misunderstood them and misused them. 

Message 96 of 112
See Most Recent

As regards the numbers on council waiting lists the link you quote is a summary of individual authority waiting lists and does not necessarily represent individual families, many of whom are on two or more lists. Many families that are on the lists rent in the private sector paid for via housing benefit - many are not families at all but single individuals.

That's three 'manys' in one post. Do you want to tell me how many or shall I look for myself? How many are on two or more lists? How many are renting in the private sector and how many are living with their own relatives/extended families? How many families registered on housing lists are not families at all but individuals? Where do you find this information or is it pure guesswork

Message 97 of 112
See Most Recent

You could look for yourself or download the Local authority housing statistics - year ending Dec 2014 - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/385091/Local_authority_hou... - or the CORE Statistical Release 2014 - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/387420/CORE_Statistical_Re...

An example quote - "The two most common types of household taking up a general needs social letting were single adults under 60 either with or without children (23% and 36% respectively)" - i.e. more than a third of new lettings were to individuals without children.

In any case the thread topic has nothing to do with the number of or shortage of available social housing but whether or not individuals would be willing to take refugees into their own homes.

Message 98 of 112
See Most Recent

The fact is that there is a severe shortage of housing in this country, whether it be for families or for single people. Every person who lives here needs a good home to live in. It is tragic when you see homeless people on the streets, often through no fault of their own. Successive governments have failed to address this problem. What is really needed in this country is a government with a long term view. Quick fixes and knee jerk policies are just storing up problems for the future. If we take in 20,000 refugees/migrants, would that be 20,000 people,or 20,000 families. If it isthe latter, then that is 20,000 homes that have to be found. Looking to the future, these people will produce families of their own, and those families will need housing. Traditionally, Muslim families tend to have more children that British families, and that trend may continue. Where are all these houses going to be built? Are we going to lose most of our precious green space?  Quality of life is important, and we need space. Education will suffer too. Where I live, already schools with decent size playing fields are being closed, to enable the land to be used for housing.  Children have to travel miles to go to already overcrowded schools. It might be a good idea if the government advised families to have just two children, to address the massive overcrowding that is going to affect this island of ours. Of course.....we could always bring in euthanasia and get rid of a few 'feral' pensioners.

Message 99 of 112
See Most Recent

It is difficult to oppose refugees coming here and frankly Astro I don't believe many people do. At the root of the problem lies the open borders policy of the EU which has allowed our population to increase at a rate that that we simply cannot cope with. Business encourage this while others claim that as the population ages there are fewer to pay for them in retirement. These are the same Businesses  who raided the pension pots of millions paid in to protect their retirement during their working lives. And as we grow older so the retirement age is increased forcing workers to continue working until they are no longer able to enjoy their final years of leisure.

Britain has played it's part rehousing millions over the years and we should be proud of that, we ought to be able to help again but we need a clear environmental plan which will enable this country to retain Urban green space, preserve other species and do more to integrate those who cling on to former ideals inconsistent with our way of life.

Message 100 of 112
See Most Recent