Horse Racing

Is there anyone else here who finds the 'sport' of horse racing as disgusting and abhorrent as I do? My OH loves horse racing, and this afternoon watched a race from Cheltenham. I did glance at the screen occasionally as there was a beautiful white horse running in the race. At the finish there were two horses neck and neck, one of whom was being whipped. I didn't watch at length because I can't stand seeing horses being whipped. After the race ended, there was an announcement that the winning horse, called 'Many Clouds' had collapsed and died. I don't know if it was the horse that was whipped. Then all the sickeningly hypocritical presenters, pundits et al were expressing their 'sorrow' and sending their condolences etc to the owners. The prize to the winner in that race was £56.000.So the owners have £56.000...and a dead horse. I cannot for the life of me understand why any jockey needs a whip....they should be banned outright. If the horse doesn't want to race...so be it. If he wins, then it's because he likes to race, not because he has been whipped to within an inch of his life. I would like to see 'The sport of Kings' banned....but that will never happen. But it would be more acceptable if the whip was banned. I feel really upset that that poor horse ran that race and then died. 

A bit of a rant I know....sorry about that, but I had to vent!

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Horse Racing

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and mentioning their abhorence at anything they don't like. Freedom of Speech!. 

I personally totally agree with you Astrologica as I too feel any animal beaten for a 'sport' is downright cruelty. 

If whipping was banned from any horse race then as far as I am concerned may the best horse win, on their own merits. 

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

Horse Racing

I think it would be a good idea to give those who support the use of the whip a 5 minute trial and see how they like it!

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Horse Racing

I can't remember if it was the GN or some other race last year, but the horse was bleeding.

The jockey was cheered and all celebrated the win, but there was no mention of the poor horse  receiving such ill treatment.

someone must have cleaned the blood away from its side, because shortly after it was gone and the cheering went on.

Good idea CD.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

Horse Racing

I don't agree with use of the whip but things are better than they used to be. There is now a limit on the number of times a horse can be whipped and jockeys can be penalised for overuse, that usually results in being banned for a few days. Strange thing is jockeys are never accused of cruelty to a horse, only over enthusiasm.

Man Frustrated

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Horse Racing

I've just watched the last few fences of this race on youtube. It was indeed Many Clouds that was being whipped and I have to agree that according to the rules the use was excessive. The whip was used 5 times in the right hand between the last two fences then the jockey switched hands after the last I guess to stop the horse careering to the left and barging into the runner up Thistlecrack. It was difficult to say exactly how many times the horse was struck after the last fence as it was on the far side away from the camera but I counted at least another 5.

Here is a link to the rules regarding use of the whip. As I see it the rules state no more than 8 times on the flat and no more than 9 on the jumps before the stewards become involved, so this would in all probability be classed as a borderline case. 

http://www.thepja.co.uk/members-info/regulatory/useofwhip/

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Horse Racing

Interesting to read on the link about the limitations of the Jockey using the whip. Shame though many adopt the use of it though,  as from what is written there the Jockey does not have to use it, as a hand can be used when needed. 

Although I still wish nothing was used that could hurt the horse. If it appeared to be veering off course, or possibly losing its impetus then possibly all that would be needed is a movement or shaking of the rein,  that could put the horse back on track. 

Such a terrible shame 'Many Clouds' has died. 

** Quote:

A full autopsy was conducted by Veterinary Investigation Services Ltd with a member of Three Counties Equine Hospital in attendance. It was carried out with permission by owner Trevor Hemmings and trainer Oliver Sherwood.

The autopsy confirmed that the ten-year-old died of an exercise induced severe pulmonary haemorrhage, which occurs when blood enters the air passages of a horse’s lung due, most likely, to fractured lung capillaries.

Tony Welsh, acting Chief Veterinary Officer for the BHA, said: “Episodes such as this are rare, and can occur in horses which have no underlying health issues, and amongst all disciplines of sport horses.

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Horse Racing

To my mind the use of the whip in horse racing is a minor problem in comparison to the far greater cruelty that takes place within the 'professional' horse competitions as well as greyhound racing.

Thousands of horses and dogs are bred which don't make the grade and have to be disposed of and when the 'successful' animals reach the end of their career very few enjoy a peaceful retirement.

If animals are bred to satisfy the demands of these businesses then their continued care should be a mandatory requirement on the breeders and owners.

The callousness with which these animals are treated never ceases to amaze - even amongst amateur owners.  Horses especially, are treated in many families in the same way that the family car is treated.  Much love and care is taken of them whilst they are of use but as soon as they are outgrown by the children or owners lose interest in riding or competing then they are often sold on or destroyed without a second thought or checks on the buyer being made.  The vast majority of pet owners would never dream of treating their animals in this way but for some reason when it comes to horses it is perfectly acceptable.

Yes, excessive use of the whip should be viewed as 'cruel' but this pales into insignificance in comparison to the far greater cruelty that is hidden from the view of the general public and is caused to far, far more animals.

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Horse Racing

Valid points and your mention of dogs brings up the issue of "show dogs".

The "top" show breeders have loads of dogs, often (particularly female dogs) they're farmed out to others to look after and they're expected to have regular litters so the breeder can take the litter for a low price per puppy and pick "the best" puppies to bring on and train for the show circuit. Those that don't make the grade are sold on as pets where they're difficult to get out of "the kennel way".

Go look at a "top breeders" kennels and see just how many dogs are there. Only a very few of them will ever make it to the show ring, the others, (the rejects) are the ones sold on as pets.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Horse Racing

If you have  time then take a look at this article about greyhounds 

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/the-shady-side-of-greyhound-racing.html

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Horse Racing

Another case of appalling cruelty to animals. This gang made over £300k and look at the pitiful sentences that were passed.

Smiley Mad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-38828061

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Horse Racing

I think they were 'travellers'.....that's another group who have no love for anaimals and just use them for work or monetary gain. The sentences were an insult...they should have been jailed.

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Horse Racing

The more I learn about the horse racing industry the less there is to like about it.  Have you ever noticed that when you see back along the course horses strung out and miles behind the winners.  They're what someone in my local calls "never wins", they're just there to make the numbers up.

Totally out-matched and without a hope of ever winning anything they are of little value so raced as frequently as is permitted, with the minimum time allowed for rest and recuperation between races.  Their health is destroyed by over-use of progressively more damaged muscles, joints and respiratory systems.  The horses that stagger in at the back, off camera,  will be destroyed when their performance becomes too much of an embarrassment and the next generation of no-hopers take their place.  They are basically worked to death over what must be short and painful lives.

Horses are "flight animals", if threatened it is their instinct to run.  Racing is a perversion of this instinct, a horse will always run if if the rest of the herd runs, even if it kills or injures itself trying to keep up.

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent