HP printer.

Does anyone here use a HP printer? I have a HP Deskjet 3520 printer/scanner. Never really liked it, but I have stuck with it. Yesterday I went to Wilkinsons and bought a new set of four 364 ink cartridges, same as I always get. I put them in the printer today, and up pops a message telling me that I have installed 'previously used ' ink cartridges. Now..they looked ok when I bought them..same packaging. But when I opened them they were not individually plastic wrapped, as they usually are, and there was no peel off sticker and no snap off plastic thingy that they usually have, I have just tried to print with them and they are not working correctly. Wilkinsons say that if I return them I can have a refund. Has anyone else had the same problem? I am reluctant to buy more from Wilkinsons as they could be the same. Also...they cost £33....which is daylight robbery for four cartridges. Which brings me to my next question..can I use nonHP cartridges, which would be cheaper, or will my printer 'know' that they are not the real deal? 

Message 1 of 28
See Most Recent
27 REPLIES 27

HP printer.

I think the printer cartridge thing is all a good (for the manufacturer) con!

I've had similar "problems". One of my printers went bananas, I'd got two new colour cartridges in it (I use some colours more than others, Blue and Black). So I got a new printer (that used the same cartridges as my "old" printer) and tried those two new cartridges in it along with the other two (of four) that came with the printer. Printer said NO. It wouldn't have it. I had to use all the new cartridges that came with the new printer.

I think that the cartridges are a rip-off and the printer manufacturers are cheating the buyers so that they can't use either re-filled or bulk re-fillable cartridges and have to buy their expensive product. 

Instead of bothering with new cartridges you might as well just keep buying cheap new printers laughing

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 2 of 28
See Most Recent

HP printer.

HP ‘protect’ their cartridges by writing a code to the chip embedded in the cartridge - when you install a new cartridge in the printer it writes a code locking it to that printer - so if you put it in a different printer that uses the same cartridge type it won’t work.

Happily if the printer is a network printer you can go to its web page interface, select settings/cartridge protection/disable - you should then be able to use any compatible cartridge.

If you are using a USB connection you can still disable “cartridge protection” via the menu settings.

Message 3 of 28
See Most Recent

HP printer.

Creeky...what's a network printer? I have very limited IT knowledge..I'm a crumbly!

Message 4 of 28
See Most Recent

HP printer.

Astro - in simple terms if you are connected to your printer either via a wireless connection or an Ethernet cable then you are using it as a network printer and can see its settings via a web browser.  If you are connected via a USB cable then you are using it as a local printer.

Message 5 of 28
See Most Recent

HP printer.

I have the same make and model of printer. I have never had any problems with cartridges, but I always get mine from Tesco with my grocery delivery. £33 seems a bit steep for a supposedly cheap shop.  Try getting cartridges from a different shop, Maplins is good too.

Dont be tempted to buy cheap compatibles, it is false economy as the ink runs out a lot quicker It is different ink as well and can gum up the print heads, and yes, the printer will know they are not genuine HP cartridges, it will come up on the screen and ask if you wish to continue. 

Photobucket
Message 6 of 28
See Most Recent

HP printer.

Thank you Creeky...I get it! That means I am using mine as a local printer.

Message 7 of 28
See Most Recent

HP printer.

Thank you Mustard Tree.....I thought that would happen. That darned printer seems to have a mind of its own. When I first bought it the cartridges seemed fairly reasonably priced compared to others. But the prices have shot up lately. I am really concerned by the fact that I paid full price for 'previously used ' cartridges, when it didn't say that on the packaging. I am wondering..are they fakes, and in that case, how can they be sold by a large retail chain? Or is HP trying to hoodwink its customers? Another thing,,..I changed all four cartridges, but my computer came up with a message telling me it detected only three new cartridges. The bloody things don't work anyway...so it's back to Wilkinsons today.

Message 8 of 28
See Most Recent

HP printer.

Incidentally, a friend gave me an Epson photo printer a while back. It switched on, lit up, and the carriage moved, but the ink was out.

But the cartridges for this printer are £89 for a set of 4.  I could get a new printer for less than that.

No wonder my so called friend dumped it on me.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 28
See Most Recent

HP printer.

The price of ink cartridges is a scandal. I took the offending items back to Wilkinsons this morning. They weren't really interested in the problem, but gave me a refund without quibbling. I then bought a new set from Tesco's, at the same price. They work perfectly well, so I really can't explain the problems with the others. They were sealed, so must have been put into the package in the factory. My printer did recognise them as genuine HP cartridges, but as previously used. By whom, I wonder?

Message 10 of 28
See Most Recent

HP printer.

Get yourself an epson printer,full set for mine (3 colour and 1 black) £4.99,i have never bought an original ink yet,all the compatible ones have worked fine

We are many,They are few
Message 11 of 28
See Most Recent

HP printer.

I think mustard-tree is right and the cheap copies are false economy, it's true they don't seem to have a much ink in them.  Our hp printer was sometimes worried by the copies so we got hp ones, trying to buy them when they were on special offer.  It is a temperamental machine, often claiming there is no paper, or a paper jam, when it's not true.  It has now got a new problem, it only prints in black and white. In fairness to it, we have probably had it longer than any of our previous printers so are now considering a new one.

Message 13 of 28
See Most Recent

HP printer.

Remember what I said at #2? Compare the snippet below from that link (my bold):-

The saga of printer ink is nothing new. In terms of price per gram, it works out more than gold to use many official ink cartridges and often it's cheaper to replace a printer than replacing the ink. The same has been true since printing began.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 14 of 28
See Most Recent

HP printer.

@cee-dee wrote:

Remember what I said at #2? Compare the snippet below from that link (my bold):-

The saga of printer ink is nothing new. In terms of price per gram, it works out more than gold to use many official ink cartridges and often it's cheaper to replace a printer than replacing the ink. The same has been true since printing began.

Used to be the case - no longer economical as the cartridges supplied with new printers do not have the same quantity of ink in them as the standard ones you buy.

I used to sell HP printers, (grey imports), here on eBay albeit mostly laser printers - 15/20 years ago there certainly were times where the value of the cartridges included with the printers had a retail value greater than the cost of the printer - some buyers caught on to this but HP, Brother et al also recognised this and changed their ‘inclusive’ cartridges.

Most HP inkjet printers now come with what are called ‘Setup’ cartridges - these will work with a new, uninitialised printer but not with one that has been ‘setup’ already. 

Message 15 of 28
See Most Recent

HP printer.

I got so fed up with endless problems with ink jet printers, that I changed to a laser printer from Argos in May 2014. Had no trouble since, and it works a treat (Brother HL-1112). You don't have to worry about the ink drying out if you don't it use much. Only disadvantage is that it only prints in black and white, but I can't think of the last time I needed a colour print-out.

Message 16 of 28
See Most Recent

HP printer.

That's interesting Joe....I used to have an Epson printer and the inks were just as expensive as the ones I have to buy now. Can I ask which model you use?

Message 17 of 28
See Most Recent

HP printer.

Hi,yes it's an Epson stylus S22

We are many,They are few
Message 18 of 28
See Most Recent

HP printer.

Thanks Joe...I'm going to look into that.

Message 19 of 28
See Most Recent

HP printer.

I've always used the compatible cartridges on my Epsom printer.

Message 20 of 28
See Most Recent