Dame Vera Lynn

~ Happy 100th Birthday Dame Vera Lynn ~

Vera Lynn, the British songbird whose voice lifted the spirits of thousands of Allied soldiers during the Second World War, has her  image projected on to the White Cliffs of Dover to mark her hundredth birthday today.

Dame Vera's wartime classic, The White Cliffs of Dover, gave hope to British troops in action.

Now she is honoured at the very location that formed the basis of her song.

Birthday message in honour of Dame Vera Lynn

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Dame Vera Lynn

Now there's a girl who's seen some life, good and bad, they say she doesn't venture out much any more, the way the World is today...........I don't blame her.......I'm glad she's reached the ripe old age of 100, it's nice to see worthy people getting a result for a change.

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Dame Vera Lynn

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice one! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Dame Vera Lynn

Well deserved tribute 🙂

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Dame Vera Lynn

I find it amazing that someone who was old enough to have a singing career during WW11 is still around today, clean living I guess.  A well deserved tribute to a lovely lady.

Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Dame Vera Lynn

My son has had the great privilege of singing We'll meet again, on stage at the London Palladium with this lovelly lady.  It was a forces concert, and they chose one sailor, one soldier, one marine and one airman to go on stage and sing with her.  My son was the sailor.

They gave him a video which he lost, and after searching for many years he's finally found another one, but no one has a video player any more so none of us have seen it, including him.  We'll have to find a player now.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Dame Vera Lynn

Such a special time for your Son to think back over, and for you as well. Hopefully you can get a video player very soon. 

I was wondering maybe could someone you know transfer the video your Son now has onto a CD/DVD?. 

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

Dame Vera Lynn

I'm a complete numptie when it comes to technology - wouldn't they need a video player to do that ?  I don't know anyone who still has one. 

There is a computer repair shop opening near me soon.  I know it's not the same thing, but they may be able to point me in the right direction to find someone.

I belong to a site called streetbank, where people give, lend, and share skills, so maybe I'll ask there if some clever person can do it.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Dame Vera Lynn

That is a good idea to ask at that site, maybe someone kind there could loan you a video player to watch the video. 

Then maybe assist in some way how to get the video onto a CD/DVD from there. 

There was a similar site I joined, Streetlife, that was ideal for help in many ways, and hearing of anything locally that had happened, or was due to be happening. It eventually closed down as they created a new site. 

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Dame Vera Lynn

There people who will convert video to dvd for you,it will cost about £15.

http://www.videodvdtransfer.co.uk/?gclid=CIyYqbup5dICFW4B0wodwjwJwQ

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

Dame Vera Lynn

------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW

My Dad always maintained Anne Sheldon was the real Forces sweetheart

He said Vera was loved by the War Office, the Government and the BBC

But the troops loved the cheerier & more up to date -  Sheldon

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Dame Vera Lynn

Thanks for that link Mike.  Just what I needed. 

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent