Big softy or what?

A few years ago we rented a place down at Weymouth and watched the trawlers pull alongside with ther catches.  One thing that has always been close to my heart are crabs and lobsters.  The one thing I've always wanted to do is to buy a live, undamaged crab, take a few photographs of him and then that night slip him back into deep water well away from all the crab creels and lobster pots, there to live out his days in total FREEDOM.  Obviously he'd have to fight for his survival - crabs are very territorial and will viciously see off any other crab trying to get into the same creel, but at least he would be given a sporting chance to extend his life by another couple of years.  I was in the sout of France once where a seafood restaurant had these lobsters in an aquarium, and they were so beautiful, deep blue in colour,  they only turn red when you cook them, that I had to leave.  I was so upset, because I knew where they'd end up.  Big man as I was, as I looked into their eyes, mine clouded over.  Yes, I cried.  Go on, laugh at me - I don't care.

Message 1 of 38
See Most Recent
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Big softy or what?

i do! as i said  where do plants stand in the scheme of things, they are living breathing things or are we only not eating animals that are cute,or & i know i am going to regret asking. if we take it to mean everything that is living, we aint gonna last long are we, lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 21 of 38
See Most Recent

@saasher2012 wrote:

i do! as i said  where do plants stand in the scheme of things, they are living breathing things or are we only not eating animals that are cute,or & i know i am going to regret asking. if we take it to mean everything that is living, we aint gonna last long are we, lol.

I do see what you are saying saasher, but plantlife is a very simple creation compared to man and animal and (going on the creation view) they were created for sustaining life, mans and animals, whether it was for eating, pleasure or sustaining the eco system.

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye

Thank you for conceding that point, & I'm happy to discuss the meaning of life with you , but in fairness to the original poster this thread , is or was about being soft, perhaps you could start your own thread , I'm sure that would be interesting, & I'm sure would get many replies!.

**********Sam**********
Message 23 of 38
See Most Recent

Back to the topic. Smiley Happy

A guy goes into a seafood restaurant and asks to see the dishes of the day. The waiter wheels over a trolley and the man examines the dishes.

"I'll have the little green squid with the hairy lip, please" says the man.

"Okay." replies the waiter and calls out "Gervais!!"

A little French chef appears with a large knife, the waiter instructs the chef to kill the little green squid with the hairy lip.

Gervais is just about to slice at the poor squid when he notices a tear running down its face.

Gervais is touched, and admits that he hasn't the heart to kill the squid.

"Not to worry" says the waiter, and calls out "Hans!!" at which an enormous German bloke comes out of the kitchen.

"Sir", says the waiter, "this is Hans, the dishwasher. Hans, kill that squid!"

The dishwasher wields a huge rolling pin and is just about to bludgeon the little green squid with the hairy lip when it cringes back and gives a little cry.

"I am sorry sir, I just cannot kill the squid" Hans admits, his lower lip trembling.

"Well sir," says the waiter, "it just goes to show...

That Hans that do dishes, can be soft as Gervais. with mild green, hairy lip squid"

Lol. Lol. That had me in tears & to my shame it wasn't through sympathy! Lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 25 of 38
See Most Recent

saasher2012 wrote:
Thank you for conceding that point, & I'm happy to discuss the meaning of life with you , but in fairness to the original poster this thread , is or was about being soft, perhaps you could start your own thread , I'm sure that would be interesting, & I'm sure would get many replies!.

Point taken saasher, and thank you for putting it so politely., although I doubt a thread of mine about the meaning of life would get as many replies as a thread about a little green squid with a hairy lip, lol.... Do you Woman Wink

I must be getting too old and serious lol, as I just cringed reading it, don't mean to offend It just didn't make me laugh.Woman Sad

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye

Not at all offended! Everyone is entitled to laugh or not it's their choice.

**********Sam**********
Message 27 of 38
See Most Recent

@saasher2012 wrote:

What about organisms like the smallpox virus - then of course we have animals like tapeworm that need a host to survive.  Maybe they'll just spend all day laying in the sun getting a tan.

Message 28 of 38
See Most Recent

CD and SAASHER2012

NOT CONFUSED - WRONG NAME - apologies.

Go into#5 and press cracked.co/article....IGNORE "the six biggest a******s of the animal kingdom"  That's nothing!

Drop down to the bottom of the chimpanzee where it shows a chimp holding it's young  NOW PRESS WHERE IT SAYS: "THE 6 CUTEST ANIMALS THAT CAN STILL DESTROY YOU."

THAT IS WHERE THE UNNECESSARY LANGUAGE BEGINS

Good interesting articles RUINED by the continuous use of the F - word.

CHECK IT OUT IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME - IT'S ALL THERE.

Message 29 of 38
See Most Recent

Here's a video of a cute **bleep** cat.Smiley Happy

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=667165179990350

That looks a lot worse than the harmless word I used.

O MYG-D!!!  THAT IS ONE HECK OF A PUSSYCAT!  I didn't realise what I was watching, but to carry it off and drown it - wow, that takes some doing!

Message 32 of 38
See Most Recent

Nature in its rawest form, & believe me compared too that humans are puny!.

**********Sam**********
Message 33 of 38
See Most Recent

Yes, a linked, site.  Where the unnecessary language begins.   And the also where the cracked minds surface.

I wonder why some visit that vile stuff.  But they obviously do.  

Anyway, rather than start a new thread, this thread seems the appropriate place for it, so would you, or someone, please put up the link, to the Mail On Line story on Perfectly healthy:  Marius the baby Jiraffe, who was shot dead and autopsied in the presence of visitors to the gardens at Copenhagen Zoo.

Apart from rage! one of the my many thoughts are why they just could not neuter him? And I don't believe given a reasonable time that no one would have given him a home. What an absolute disgrace of a Zoo.  Shame on them.  Some should  be warned if you view that link, but that's the reality.

007.JPG

009.JPG

Message 34 of 38
See Most Recent

My reply, is mainly to your #29 frederick.

Message 35 of 38
See Most Recent

I just wonder why if this was a perfectly healthy animal it was PMd in the first place, bad enough that it was done in front of the public, but strikes me as gratuitous showmanship !
As to it being de sexed , a herd animal cannot resume it's natural way of life in a herd if it is of neither sex because of unnatural behaviour & would be bullied by both sexes often then itself becoming dangerous& in turn becoming a bully.
However it could have had a vasectomy !
I get the impression it was a case of we don't want it& so no one else is going to either! Very Tragic indeed!!

**********Sam**********
Message 36 of 38
See Most Recent

Sickening, isn't it.  There are pictures in today's Daily Mail.  Ironically, few of the kids look that distressed about it.  Most of them are standing there gawping as if it was the aftermath of a serious car smash, and some are taking pictures!  No worse than me when I was a kid, chasing fire engines and ambulances on my bike, hoping - sometimes successfully, to sell the pictures to the paper.  It's a phase we all go through.  A perfectly healthy animal put down - why the hell didn't it be given to Whipsname or Woburn, or why not have it "adopted" by people prepared to pay towards it's upkeep?  That's what they used to do at London Zoo.  I knew a kid whose Dad went through the process - for the princely sum of £5.00 - a lot of money in those days, somewhere amongst 300,000-odd  a drone bee took on the suitable haughty name of Copernicus!  Man Happy  

It's the smaller creatures that find a special place in my heart.  The caterpillar with it's voratious appitite eating endless mulberry leaves, turning itself into a chrysalist then finally, just at the right time emerging as a new born butterfly, drying it's wings in the sun as it's tiny veins fill with blood - it takes about half-an-hour, before it flies off to it's final destiny to find a mate lay eggs and begin the cycle of life all over again.  To me, anyway, it symbolises life after death.  To all intents and purposes the caterpiller was dead, and a chrysalist doesnt look like anything, and yet the gift - the Gift of Life continues zillions of times throughout every corner of the world.  How happy am I that there s so much I don't know.  

Message 37 of 38
See Most Recent

i HOPE UPON HOPE THAT SOMEONE GETS SEVERELY DONE FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO HAPPEN... DISPICABLE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Woman Sad

Message 38 of 38
See Most Recent