Be aware of unscrupulous shop sellers which use zero hours contracts

I presume this is fine to post now*, since I've removed the name of the 'shop' in question, although one could argue that if the 'shop' had done nothing wrong, they have nothing to feel ashamed about, do they? I also confirm I am not reporting any violation, listing policy issues, or feedback dissection.

This should also open the discussion re concerns of ebay aiding these businesses, by allowing high street chains which are guilty of using zero hours contracts to trade on ebay, as by doing so ebay becomes a part of the problem by indirectly supporting this.

*"Guidelines state: Naming and shaming of members not present in a discussion (listing policy issues, feedback dissection, reporting violations via the Boards etc) is not and never has been permitted on the eBay.co.uk boards."

Message 1 of 22
See Most Recent
21 REPLIES 21

This should also open the discussion re concerns of ebay aiding these businesses, by allowing high street chains which are guilty of using zero hours contracts to trade on ebay, as by doing so ebay becomes a part of the problem by indirectly supporting this.

The other side of the story is that some people may like working on zero hour contracts, and it is not up to others to say they should not even if it suits them to do so.

I am not an engager, I am a number.
Message 2 of 22
See Most Recent

This is a political topic and whether you are for or against zero hours contracts it is not a suitable subject for this particular board. I suggest you move it to the "cafe"

Message 3 of 22
See Most Recent

@pmc6544 wrote:

although one could argue that if the 'shop' had done nothing wrong, they have nothing to feel ashamed about, do they?

Did the shop in question email you & state they feel ashamed then?

I doubt  they feel ashamed at all & they also had nothing to do with the topic being removed, that was done by the board moderators.

They are doing nothing illegal & whether you, I, the Pope, or anyone else thinks it 'unethical' I cannot see why on earth ebay should not let them trade.

Message 4 of 22
See Most Recent

Hello

This topic is not for this forum as it is a political topic & nothing to do if you have a problem with buying or selling

As already says by Fascakes & rightly so why not post in the "cafe" section" as you will I am sure get some feedback !!

Hope this helps Woman Happy

Message 5 of 22
See Most Recent

I just wonder if there is a chance of ANYBODY ( including the government ) doing ANYTHING about zero hours contracts, when the Country's foremost Ferry Company ( that services the Country's Main Port ); registers itself "Off Shore" and doesn't pay most of its Staff Holiday Pay or Sick Pay. If THEY are allowed to do that, there's a fat chance of anything else being sorted.

Message 6 of 22
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

I always thought that anything was allowed to be discussed on the RT, so why is this any different?

Zero hours contracts are a nightmare in my opinion. You have to be available for 40 hours, while most of the time you should be lucky if you get 8 hours per week. Try to build a future on that..............

Message 7 of 22
See Most Recent

Yes I too was under the impression that most topics could be broached on here and providing they remained within community guidelines (at which point I pause to give 10 hail mary's and one our Father) you would be fine.

Zero hours contracts are the most unhelpful contract to have, they control disproportionately your life and guarantee you nothing, you cannot rent a property with one. you are unlikely to be able to live on one unsupported by others. Pub companies love them, but whats wrong with part time working? 

Message 8 of 22
See Most Recent

Looking at some of the other posts like this one:

"pmc6544

Hello

This topic is not for this forum as it is a political topic & nothing to do if you have a problem with buying or selling

As already says by Fascakes & rightly so why not post in the "cafe" section" as you will I am sure get some feedback !!

Hope this helps "

It looks as though its already been moved to the "cafe" section,RT in other words

We are many,They are few
Message 9 of 22
See Most Recent

@fastcakes wrote:

This is a political topic and whether you are for or against zero hours contracts it is not a suitable subject for this particular board. I suggest you move it to the "cafe"

Good heavens, are you training to be a Moderator?

Let us RT'ers decide whether this thread dies, or not. Obviously at the moment it is alive.

Message 10 of 22
See Most Recent

To get back to the op, Zero hours contracts are imo pure exploitation and I would never sign such a contract. But they are legal and any company using them is operating legally. There is no reason why ebay should not allow such companies to trade on their site

Message 11 of 22
See Most Recent

eBay have got people using their site, who are Criminals, Paedophiles, Scammers, Shill Bidders, Buyers who don't pay, Sellers who don't provide the goods........people, who undoubtedly, have indulged (and in many cases been found guilty of) every illegal activity you can think of. They do very little about those ( even the ones they know about ) and you seriously want them to sanction companies trading LEGALLY by employing staff on zero hours contracts. whether you agree with it, disagree with it, or just don't care either way...................you need to wake up to what's really going on in the World.

Message 12 of 22
See Most Recent

Totally agree it is pure exploitation,my youngest son was working at a printing works on zero hour contract,in fact about 90% of the workers were on zero hours,the other 10% they worked alongside were getting a higher rate of pay for doing the same job,some weeks he had no work at all,the final straw was one midweek the agency rang him up at 7.30 asking him to get in for 8am for 1 days work,he told them to shove it.he used to cycle there just to save money on bus fares,luckily he applied for and got a full time job a few weeks ago.How anyone with a family could survive on zero hours is beyond me,landlords would not accept tenants who couldn't guarantee them getting their rent on time,and as far as buying a home is concerned,i,m afraid its just a pipedream for the zero hour workers.My partner was a care worker,some of her friends still are,and are under ever increasing pressure to fly between jobs and just fit another client in all on the minimum wage or now ever increasingly zero hour contracts,one of her friends told her that with councils cutting back the "care" agencies are now bidding online to win the "care" contract for even one client! It really does beggar belief that in a so called rich country the care of our elderley people comes down to this....£££££

We are many,They are few
Message 13 of 22
See Most Recent

@joe_bloggs* wrote:

How anyone with a family could survive on zero hours is beyond me,l

I'd suggest zero hours contracts aren't suitable for those who's family depend on their income!

Message 14 of 22
See Most Recent

I'd suggest zero hour contracts are only suitable for those who want a bit of pocket money,

if and when an employer decides to give it.

Add to that they could actually be detrimental to the employee with the use of an exclusivity clause.

I see no purpose to them beyond denying an employee their rights.

Message 15 of 22
See Most Recent

@0125arwen wrote:

I'd suggest zero hour contracts are only suitable for those who want a bit of pocket money,

if and when an employer decides to give it.

Add to that they could actually be detrimental to the employee with the use of an exclusivity clause.

I see no purpose to them beyond denying an employee their rights.

I worked under this type of contract during summer breaks while at university. At times I would be fortunate enough to get regular 40 hour weeks for a couple of months but there were times when I'd be waiting by the phone on a daily basis to see if I got the call for that day.

Could be quite frustrating but it was a way for seasonal employees to get work. They have a limited use but are fine for certain circumstances, just not ideal for most!

Message 16 of 22
See Most Recent

Looks like 'exclusivity clauses' in zero hour contracts will soon be banned - no bad thing!

Message 17 of 22
See Most Recent

@upthecreekyetagain wrote:

Looks like 'exclusivity clauses' in zero hour contracts will soon be banned - no bad thing!

Soon, and how long ago was that said?.

Message 18 of 22
See Most Recent

The Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Bill, which includes a section banning exclusivity clauses in zero hour contracts completed the committee stage on the 6th November - the report stage to the House of Commons is due on the 18th and its third reading and vote on the 19th before being passed on to the House of Lords.

Message 19 of 22
See Most Recent

The RT has always been the forum for off topic discussions which include socio-political issues as indeed many of the the threads on the board will show.

That is why it was called the Round Table in the first place.

There is no eBay cafe forum - there never has been in the UK.

The eBay Cafe is a sub-grouping of social forums and includes the one for discussing eBay Community issues.

So this is exactly the place where people should be able to discuss these issues, just as they discuss many other with a vast range of opinions and feelings on each topic.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 20 of 22
See Most Recent