When will eBay actually start honouring seller protection ?

EBay claims they protect sellers and offer removing defects from service metrics and give postage label refunds when buyers abuse eBay return system and top rated like me meant to get extra protection, 99% of my returns are buyers abusing eBay return system and everytime I show clear evidence that it's the buyer abusing return system, not once have I had a email or message on eBay to say I'm getting my postage label refund or anything removed from service metrics, I'm top rated so meant to get extra protection but so far had zero protection, unless eBay doesn't inform the seller they are refunding the postage money and removing defects, I highly doubt that, buyers seem to get away with everything and they get actually way more protection than there meant to get, I've only had one genuine return which was my fault and every other one is buyers abusing the system and 9 times out of 10 they don't show any evidence but I do and report them but not once heard anything back, once I even had buyer admit they chose the wrong return reason but I never heard nothing back and every time I report buyers for abusing eBay return system I never hear nothing back 

Message 1 of 36
See Most Recent
35 REPLIES 35

Yes it's one of the many reasons I no longer enjoy selling on here. Like you most the return claims where I have to buy the postage are for false reasons. Before someone states 'Ebay have no way of telling' they often do. Sometimes it's very obvious, like the one last week who opened a case because I sent him x2 male connectors and he thought he was getting x1 female and x1 male. The title said x2 male, the description said x2 male and the picture clearly showed x2 male. My compaint and appeal to credit the return postage fell on death ears as usual. 

Message 2 of 36
See Most Recent

Hi yes your right, I've never appealed to her my money back as it should be automatic once I report the buyer when doing refund, meant to get extra protection for being top rated but get zero protection, eBay will take all the fees off us but won't honour seller protection, buyers don't ever show any evidence to support there claims but I do but I still get nothing, yesterday I had a return where buyer bought a led backlight, I clearly put in the title to read description and I put in the description that the tv uses 2 types of led strips so make sure you check before buying , they returning it as faulty but in the comments they put may not be compatible, so I messaged them and said sorry they don't fit but I did put it in the title and description that there's 2 types, they replied and said they've ordered the correct one now from a different seller, there's 100% evidence there that it's a case of buyer abusing eBay return system but will I get my postage money back ?

I can guarantee I won't, something needs to be done about it as it's getting ridiculous now 

Message 3 of 36
See Most Recent

You know what? eBay just don't care. It's clear to see

Message 4 of 36
See Most Recent

Yep. Had one just last week.

Message from buyer "Sorry to have to return this. I can see you have all the measurements in your listing and I should have taken notice of them. It's entirely my (the buyers) fault"

Reason for return - Not As described.

eBaying is fun.

Message 5 of 36
See Most Recent

I've just checked mine, had a postage refund on the 3rd Oct but the descripton just reads 

Seller Protection: Returns Label Subsidy Aug 24 - Sep 23

So no idea which report it was with regards to and they 100% didnt let me know.

Message 6 of 36
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got one this week. Wants to return a mug because it doesn't fit them!!

Message 7 of 36
See Most Recent

How to check if you get a postage label refund 

Message 8 of 36
See Most Recent

So far I've realised eBay only care about taking the fees from sellers and they care about buyer protection but sellers no chance, they only want the money from us, before someone bought a item then used it for 3 weeks and returned it battered as faulty, once I got it back it was working but battered, I deducted money as it came back used and battered, buyer disputed that, and eBay gave them a full refund out there own pocket, I got to keep the 50% I deducted but I still had to pay postage both ways and I know it was eBay refunding out there own pocket the amount I deducted out of the refund but it's crazy how they still got there money back from eBay, all that does is encourage buyers to do these things as they know they can get away with it, if a seller done that then there's no way on earth a seller could get away with it, just ridiculous 

Message 9 of 36
See Most Recent

Ebay seller protection is minimal.

This is because UK trading laws give the buyer many rights.

Even "item not received" but has tracking can sometimes still get buyer a refund.

I have even heard of refunds after the 30 days are up.

Message 10 of 36
See Most Recent

I understand the buyer rights however if you read the ebays seller protection then we are fully covered, buyers get too much protection, a buyer on eBay doesn't have to provide evidence item is faulty, if we done that in a shop then the shop won't just take our word but they will take a look so evidence is required, try returning anything on any other website in UK, they will ask for evidence, the problem here is not the buyer protection but eBay saying sellers are protected when there not, also top rated meant to get extra protection so according to eBay rules the protection is not minimal, I wouldn't mind if they just said sellers don't get protection but there claims are false and buyers get protection in cases where they clearly not meant to have it 

Message 11 of 36
See Most Recent

Ebay seller protection is minimal.

This is because UK trading laws give the buyer many rights.

No it's not! It's because of Ebay.

Message 12 of 36
See Most Recent

I have experienced  ALL you describe here and predict you saw little real time help from  " report the buyer " but did find your "service metrics " measurement on the " thermometer" up in the red hot zone.  I wont bore you with why or how these things work, as how to fix it is more useful.

I will briefly share with you what took me 6 months to figure out and SOLVE all that and forgive the obvious points.

A.  Title, description and pictures.  Not only to be the best possible but also to deter buyers who guess or find it tedious to read, when all they need to do is engage, ask a question and get your wise input / guidance.

B.  A  polite, well written packing  / thank you note,   that  clearly GUIDES  the buyer to engage by message before proceeding to  the right return process and REASON  all clearly mapped out.  

C:  If you are succesful at managing the return process so it is ACCURATE, you avoid false INADSwhich are the ONLY  returns that have negative consequences on ALL your account.  Sure, you will still get returns, but BUYER REMORSE  returns are much easier to manage and live with.

That is my path to happiness for both buyers and me.  Hope it brings you joy !

Message 13 of 36
See Most Recent

My apologies if I am wrong but does a Business not have to accept all returns?

Message 14 of 36
See Most Recent

Yes and I have no problem with it.  I do have a problem when they lie so I pay over £3 return postage on a low value item when they mess up or change their mind.

Message 15 of 36
See Most Recent

I appreciate your effort and point A I certainly would not disagree with but not only disagree with the idea of points B and C but find them a little patronising. Some buyers are simply dishonest and use INAD so they don't have to pay the postage.

Message 16 of 36
See Most Recent

I changed my mind set.

I did the work, I solved the problems,  I got the results. 

Sorry you feel that is patronising.

Message 17 of 36
See Most Recent

Yes I am sure everybody must accept returns, for all online sales, not just ebay, although there are indeed some exceptions too, but that is not the basis of any solutions that i used.

I go out of my way to make it very clear to buyers that i accept returns.

I also help buyers do those returns in a manner very easy for them which includes steps to ensure I elimate false claims or any return that is seen as a defect in some measure by eBay, of which there are many measures.

It was a tough job progressing from very a very unhappy seller, to the moment when the statiscs  / reports showed I had built a system that worked for buyers, ebay and me. 

Message 18 of 36
See Most Recent

You wrote   "   Some buyers are simply dishonest and use INAD so they don't have to pay the postage.  " 

My question to your CORRECT observation is, what do you DO, to minimise or eliminate that  ?

I even spoke on the telphone just today, with a buyer who outright lied to me, but I still solved the problem and protected my account from any negative INAD with buyers  freely admitted acceptance that he was in error, so Yes it is a chellenge, like any business.

I agree you have identified one of the MANY challenges, I am curious if or how you solved it, better / differently that my initial a,b,c. suggestion ...I always have room for improvements ?

Message 19 of 36
See Most Recent

I just went to payments, all transactions, then the option of adjustments.

Message 20 of 36
See Most Recent