Payments on hold - new seller

I am a new seller (private account) but have sold successfully on Ebay for 20 years as a small business with a business acount.  Due to ill health, I ended the business and decided to sell my own bits and bobs.

My query is regarding payments on hold.  Whilst I understand that new sellers need limits and rules, I can't understand why I am being paid after just a week with some sold items, but others are taking up to 3 weeks before the funds are released.  I've spoken to customer services who have told me it's because they are waiting for positive feedback from the buyers.  I pointed out that many buyers don't leave feedback, so how long before the funds are released?  I was told I could contact Ebay to release the funds if I was concerned.  I still don't understand why some funds are kept by Ebay longer than others and it's now up to me to ask for them!

I told customer services that I now have a lack of interest in selling due to this and also the fact that I can't increase my selling allowance for another month.   I wanted this to be a hobby, but there's not much point anymore!  (And no, before anyone accuses me, I'm not trying to be a business on a private sellers account!!).

Message 1 of 54
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It's the weekend not a lot happens over these 2 days,  wait for say midday Monday if tracking which has shown delivery still doessn't release your payout contact eBay Customer Services with those tracking details.

To Contact Customer Services it's a Live Chat, or you can select to speak and request a Call Back. Click on this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

On weekdays lines open between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.

On weekends they open between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 54
See Most Recent
53 REPLIES 53

Payments are placed on hold for a security measure both for your account and for your buyer.

If you are a new seller,  eBay have none of your selling history,  so they need to see that a paid for item,  will be shipped and delivered to the buyer.  If you have tracking showing delivery,  this will speed up that payout, and it is sent to your bank usually within a few days.

This has to be in place otherwise anyone could come on eBay sell expensive items,  take the money and not post out the item.  Once you are established as a good seller posting out items promptly,  this hold stops,  and you can select a daily or weekly payout from your sales.

If you are a returning seller,  that is,  you have returned to sell after a little break,  then sudden selling activity raises red flags to eBay as some dormant accounts can be hijacked,  so eBay wish to see that the genuine seller has returned.

Here again,  tracking showing delivery will release the money sooner,  as eBay as happy the genuine seller has returned to their account to sell again.

Yes,  feedback may help, but as you said it's rarely left,  so tracking showing delivery is the real winner here to release initial payouts sooner.  Once established as a good seller,   showing items are being delivered promptly,  payouts can be selected to be paid to you on a daily or weekly bases.

Message 2 of 54
See Most Recent

I think it helps if tracking shows as delivered.

But that only works if eBay tracking updates which it often doesn't.

Or if you used RM the postie remembered to scan the parcel.

This help page has a button you can use to check when money should be released.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816 

Message 3 of 54
See Most Recent

Thank you for your reply.

I always send tracked and the tracking has always updated, but this hasn't made any difference.

Message 4 of 54
See Most Recent

Thank you for your reply.  

Tracking has always shown delivery, but this doesn't seem to make any difference.  It was positive feedback Ebay was waiting for to show the buyer was happy!

Message 5 of 54
See Most Recent

It's the weekend not a lot happens over these 2 days,  wait for say midday Monday if tracking which has shown delivery still doessn't release your payout contact eBay Customer Services with those tracking details.

To Contact Customer Services it's a Live Chat, or you can select to speak and request a Call Back. Click on this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

On weekdays lines open between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.

On weekends they open between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Message 6 of 54
See Most Recent

Just experienced this myself today, decided to see if I can start selling bits and bobs on Ebay. Did my first transaction (yesterday). Buyer and I agreed a price via messages in the end, and upon payment they then requested the item to be sent to a different address (one different to than the one registered on ebay) .

While I am obliging the request. If they for some reason decide to say "I never received it, despite me paying for delivery (Evri) have ensured it has a signature request to guarantee delivery. The buyer at any time could say they have not received the Item, keep the item and get their money back. 

Perhaps I'm too pessamistic and think the worst can happen. But I don't feel easy about this whole process of having funds owed on hold. 

Message 7 of 54
See Most Recent

Firstly the link given in post #3 explains eBay payment holds.

Secondly if your buyer claims item not received you will be refunding in full as you have not sent to the address given by eBay.

You should always follow the eBay rules and guidelines on selling for fewer problems.

Message 8 of 54
See Most Recent

With the greatest respect your reply is at best coming across as pretentious and condascending. 

Instead of riding in on your keyboard replying as you are, take some thought behind what you type. I was not ranting and raving or saying negative things about the Ebay policy. I said I felt uneasy about the process as its my first time.  You may want to consider showing some empathy towards those that aren't as experienced. 

I spoke with an Ebay agent today and they said arranging my own delivery to the buyer is not a problem, as long as I keep them up to date with tracking information etc. (Which I am doing)  From messages between me and the seller (That ebay will also have access to) + plus I will be doing photos of the actual product being posted + tracking to the buyer. 

And even if its against rules and guidelines as you state. If something has been sold legitimently, valid proof can be provided. Then someone is pretending they haven't received it  and claims money back. That is both theft and fraud. 

Message 9 of 54
See Most Recent

@torchw_24 wrote:

upon payment they then requested the item to be sent to a different address (one different to than the one registered on ebay) .

While I am obliging the request. If they for some reason decide to say "I never received it, despite me paying for delivery (Evri) have ensured it has a signature request to guarantee delivery. The buyer at any time could say they have not received the Item, keep the item and get their money back. 

The item should always be sent to the delivery address provided with the purchase. Buyers can enter whatever delivery address they want; it doesn't have to be the same as their registered address. However, if you send to a different address than the delivery address provided with the order you will have lost all your protection if the buyer opens an "item not received" case.

This is exactly why eBay has payment holds for new or infrequent sellers. If your buyer opens an INR case your funds will never be released as they will be used to refund the buyer leaving you with no item and no money. 

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 10 of 54
See Most Recent

So what protection is there for sellers? I'm also new had no idea about this " hold " nonsense. It seems like a blatant opportunity for unscrupulous buyers to commit fraud via abuse of eBay's terms. 

Seriously considering cancelling my listings after discovering this. I need money now not 30 days after I sell my item or never. 

Please explain what protection do I have as a seller? 

Message 11 of 54
See Most Recent

You need to put 'payment holds' into the search box.

Message 13 of 54
See Most Recent

That page seriously needs updating to show how all sellers need to register for eBay's Managed Payments,  to be able to list items for sale, how to receive payouts,  and the hold involved for initial payouts.

marco@ebay anita@ebay katie@ebay

Message 14 of 54
See Most Recent

There was nothing in that member's response that was condescending or rude, or indicative of a keyboard warrior.   

It was factual and neutral.

One other lesson to learn is that the advice you get here is more likely to be right than what eBay CS tells you, and that they will not support you in the event that incorrect advice was given.

You only get seller protection by sending to the address the buyer gave at checkout.  Your buyer may be trying to take advantage of a new seller.

Message 15 of 54
See Most Recent

I cancelled my listings because of this policy. 

Message 16 of 54
See Most Recent

Really can't believe how bad eBay's policy for sellers is. You have to wonder why or how eBay became so popular. Yeah I'm replying to myself. I'm really disappointed was looking forward to selling on here. EBay should try to protect sellers too. I'm surprised anyone is crazy enough to take the risk and start selling. Because literally every new seller is a potential target for a unscrupulously buyers.. 

However as a buyer im happy to be protected from bad sellers. It would just be great if good sellers were protected from bad buyers! 

Message 17 of 54
See Most Recent

"Bad policy for sellers" = Sell successfully a few times to prove you are a genuine seller and then those restrictions get auto removed. 

Such a horrible practise 

Message 18 of 54
See Most Recent

Yes i actually did make my first sale my comment was perhaps slight in haste. We shall see if I get the payment. I'll report back! 

Message 19 of 54
See Most Recent

Best of luck 🤞

Message 20 of 54
See Most Recent