ebay buyer complain bad packing

Sent lens first customer said why did i counter offer instead of accept sale then buyer says they wont open package as the packing was terrible. they said they wont open it.

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

If they're not happy with it let them open a return on ebay and get it back before you refund (via the return case).    If they just continue complaining do not reply.   They need to follow the correct procedure on ebay.

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Good Afternoon AC/DC

If you did pack it insufficiently or your packaging has been torn in anyway then it would be prudent to politely ask your buyer ih they wouldn't mind just putting some additional protection on it before returning it.

Good luck. 

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

Hi they first complained that i had counteroffered the same amount when they say i should have accepted there offer. I go buy past transactions when i accepted there offer i was charged through ebay for a sale then they did didnt proceed with the sale so i was kippered. As far as postage is concerned its wrapped ok not fantastic but i tried to compete with other sellers sending things early i used what i had at that time forgot i had small boxes in in plastic box. But c'est la vie. ive received shoddy packaging & its been ok they refused to open the package. Saying it looked to shody

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Good Afternoon AC/DC

Forget about all of the complaining, that is just a red herring and not relevant. If they raise an official return case through eBay then if you supply the label again through eBay you will get your fees back.

Your main concern is to get the lens back in the same condition that you sent it in.  Ask them to do what I have already suggested.

Good luck

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

jow1995
Conversationalist

AC/DC -Why are you running a buisness on a private account? 

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

`they refused to open the package. Saying it looked to shody`

What difference does it make, as long as the item is ok it doesn`t matter. Your job is to get the item there in one piece in good condition and as long as it arrives that way, you`ve done your job. Have to say, i`ve never heard this before, someone refusing to open a package because the packing is bad and not actually checking the item first.

Sending items not wrapped or package correctly may seem a good idea, but it`s a false economy, especially when you have to start issueing refunds over £1 worth of bubble wrap or something.

As far as this customer is concerned, i would advice them to open it, check it and if damaged, provide a photo and you can either pay for it`s return then refund, or just refund without return, because at this point, i wonder if the buyer is just picking at straws to get a discount 🙂

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

I listened to all your advice. I have 100% feedback, been on ebay for at least 14yrs. The lens was only cheap. The buyer started by complaining I sent him a counteroffer for the same amount in agreement. They complained. I explained kids had bought items making stupid offers & was charged for the sale. They were not happy but paid. They got the item & remarked they wern't going to open it as it was poorly packaged so I refunded. Better to refund so I lost out but clears my doubts. Many thanks 

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

I opened a business account then ebay reduced my selling many have queried this before but i tried. I'm only really a private seller trying to make some money. I declare my earnings to HMRC I cant do more. many thanks

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

You said that you refunded the buyer owing to the fact that he started complaining that he wasn't going to open it because it was poorly packaged.  Did you issue the buyer with a returns label so that you could get the item back again and relist it a second time?  If you didn't and just let him keep it then you've effectively been screwed over by the buyer - his whinging and awkwardness has resulted in him getting the item for nothing, albeit at your expense.  This is a classic example of the type of buyer that you need to make efforts to avoid - if I had been in the same situation the first red flag for me would have been when the buyer sent messages saying "Why did you send a counteroffer rather than accepting my offer?"  To me that indicates that the buyer could potentially turn into a problematic buyer if his first reaction was to start whinging about the price rather than either accepting or declining the counteroffer, at which point I would have added him to my Blocked Bidders List in order to avoid any potential problems relating to a transaction.

If you haven't already done so add the buyer's User ID to your Blocked Bidders List so that he cannot purchase anything else from you in the future and try to screw you over again to get another item for nothing.

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: