Payments on hold - new seller

I am a new seller (private account) but have sold successfully on Ebay for 20 years as a small business with a business acount.  Due to ill health, I ended the business and decided to sell my own bits and bobs.

My query is regarding payments on hold.  Whilst I understand that new sellers need limits and rules, I can't understand why I am being paid after just a week with some sold items, but others are taking up to 3 weeks before the funds are released.  I've spoken to customer services who have told me it's because they are waiting for positive feedback from the buyers.  I pointed out that many buyers don't leave feedback, so how long before the funds are released?  I was told I could contact Ebay to release the funds if I was concerned.  I still don't understand why some funds are kept by Ebay longer than others and it's now up to me to ask for them!

I told customer services that I now have a lack of interest in selling due to this and also the fact that I can't increase my selling allowance for another month.   I wanted this to be a hobby, but there's not much point anymore!  (And no, before anyone accuses me, I'm not trying to be a business on a private sellers account!!).

Message 1 of 54
See Most Recent
53 REPLIES 53

I'll definitely remember this and I'll won't do this again. Plus how was I
supposed to pay for my new phone also bought on Ebay.
Message 41 of 54
See Most Recent

It is difficult for eBay to please everyone. They get inundated with scams so they have no choice but to hold funds until the seller clears a threshold of consistent sales and even then they always have risk with their own money back guarantee if the seller disappears with unpaid fees.

I'm not an eBay apologist, they annoy me with a lot of things, I pay them a shop fee just for the privelage to list things for sale and pay full fees on everything but on this subject, if I put their cap on, I can't really see a more balanced system than they have. 

Message 42 of 54
See Most Recent

You have to add that the requesting a call back option is for UK-sellers/buyers only. Ebay refuses to call anyone outside of the UK, even if you're willing to accept a collect call, and no matter how much business you give them. 

Message 43 of 54
See Most Recent

Made a a sale tonight. Merrily paid for postage via eBay as I always do. Checked status.... Funds on hold! 

What should do here. How do I get postage refunded. I have loads listed. Is this game over for me? 

Seems I was talking rubbish after all..

this is utter bs. I'm done with eBay! 

Message 44 of 54
See Most Recent

"I sold my phone iPhone 15 pro max though ebay Because it was an expensive phone."

Hmm ,very risky.

I wouldn't advise anyone to sell anything they cannot afford to lose.

Your payment is on hold because Ebay know the risks in items like this.

Hope  you don't get a chargeback months on.....................

Message 45 of 54
See Most Recent

@dusty24 Did you get paid in the end? 

Message 46 of 54
See Most Recent

Just wanted to update you. I've been selling for a few months now. I have a good record. I dispatch same day ect. Suddenly my payments are on hold. I already have built up a successful selling history. 

Message 47 of 54
See Most Recent

Yes. It took 4 week's but thanks for asking.
Message 48 of 54
See Most Recent

Thanks bloody stupid isn't it. It's our money.. 

Message 49 of 54
See Most Recent

@tranceenthusiast wrote:

Thanks bloody stupid isn't it. It's our money.. 

And it's Ebay's way of mitigating risk according to their set parameters. 

There are worse payment holds than the ones that apply to 'new and infrequent sellers', for example when you fail the KYC checks.

Message 50 of 54
See Most Recent

@hugoinbtw wrote:

You have to add that the requesting a call back option is for UK-sellers/buyers only. Ebay refuses to call anyone outside of the UK, even if you're willing to accept a collect call, and no matter how much business you give them. 

These are the UK boards and forum,   so it's assumed anyone here is based in the UK.  We don't always check where a poster is registered,  unless it's obvious from the question.  We can only work with the information we are given , sorry but you did not mention you were in Sweden.

You  should be asking this on the www.ebay.com site,   and they will have the answers pertaining to your country.

Message 51 of 54
See Most Recent

Yes it is.
Message 52 of 54
See Most Recent

yeah, ebay likes to play with your money. they will hide behind things like great experience and trustworthiness and we will stop doing this once you have built up a good selling history but what it basically means ebay would prefer your money was in its little pot making them money. But don't worry ebay has taken its charges 😉 and then when the buyer's "all saints they are" tells ebay you didn't send the item even though you have a tracking number they will just refund them for you have fun being an eBay  seller and try not bend over ebay is always holding the soap

Message 53 of 54
See Most Recent

It might be more helpful, for you, if you told us what happened in the case where you had tracking but the buyer still got a refund. That shouldn't have happened and if we can identify why it did perhaps we can stop it happening again.

Message 54 of 54
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: