Payments on hold - new seller

I am a new seller (private account) but have sold successfully on Ebay for 20 years as a small business with a business acount.  Due to ill health, I ended the business and decided to sell my own bits and bobs.

My query is regarding payments on hold.  Whilst I understand that new sellers need limits and rules, I can't understand why I am being paid after just a week with some sold items, but others are taking up to 3 weeks before the funds are released.  I've spoken to customer services who have told me it's because they are waiting for positive feedback from the buyers.  I pointed out that many buyers don't leave feedback, so how long before the funds are released?  I was told I could contact Ebay to release the funds if I was concerned.  I still don't understand why some funds are kept by Ebay longer than others and it's now up to me to ask for them!

I told customer services that I now have a lack of interest in selling due to this and also the fact that I can't increase my selling allowance for another month.   I wanted this to be a hobby, but there's not much point anymore!  (And no, before anyone accuses me, I'm not trying to be a business on a private sellers account!!).

Message 1 of 54
See Most Recent
53 REPLIES 53

Thanks not sure why I was so negative. I deserved a bit of stick for it. They do charge a lot per sale though. I will say that ha ha 😂

Message 21 of 54
See Most Recent

So, how did it go? I'm still puzzled why they holding my money for 30 days after item got delivered and positive feedback received... Cmon Ebay, that does not make sense - item delivered, buyer happy, why hold money for 30 days *bleep*!?

Message 22 of 54
See Most Recent

Hi, I've not had any on hold yet. All has been fine for me. Touch wood. 

My heart sank for a moment when I saw the email notification for this one " payment on hold ". I currently have one processing.. 

Sorry hear you are being effected.

Not sure if this helps but, I've sent all my items via tracked service using QR code drop offs purchased via eBay. Perhaps that's why I've been ok so far? 

Message 23 of 54
See Most Recent

Good to hear that yours coming through! 🙂 

O I sold a higher value item, which they can hold up to 30 days according to their policies. I also have hand delivered item to the buyer, buyer happy, positive feedback received! Yet still marked as not delivered at my sold page (there will not be tracking number as I delivered it myself). Called Ebay customer services, explained it to them, yet they still can not mark it as item delivered and transaction complete?! What a setup hahaha, 'computer says no' type of bunch there 😄

Message 24 of 54
See Most Recent

TBH - The person you are talking to is talking rubbish. I have funds on hold despite tracking entered to ebay confirming delivery with a photograph of the buyers signature and also a photo of the package handed over....

Additionally, positve - quite literally gushing feedbackl - was also left ! 

While I am a relatively new seller, I have zero negative feedback and everything is always shipped with a tracked service inside 48 hours though usually the same day as the item is sold. 

Part of me thinks ebay makes good money by holding our money for extended periods and I think that does play a part as the illogiocal, random and inconsistent occurences and explanations leave me with no other explanation. The fact that the policy seems to be random with nothing to allow me to see where this may occur means that in terms of managing my finances its quite tricky. Lots and lots of £4 or £5 or even £15 for shipping soon add up and thats money lost from my day to day budget that ebay to be frank does not give a monkeys about. 

In terms of a resolution - I moved to selling clothing & accessories on Vinted. Smaller, but more enthusiastic community, and its free for the base service!

Message 25 of 54
See Most Recent

How do I unsub to this? Every time I make a sale and it arrives at its destination while funds are processing, I get a notification email titled funds on hold, give me a heart attack every time lol.. 

I'm not talking rubbish thanks..

So far I've not had any on hold. I have kept everything within eBay all postage labels purchased through eBay etc. I haven't had to manually input tracking because when you buy the label via eBay it does that automatically. I believe that is why I've not had funds on hold. Touch wood. 

Cheers. 

Message 26 of 54
See Most Recent

I've had exactly the same thing. I sold my phone iPhone 15 pro max though ebay Because it was an expensive phone. I. Decided to use royal mails next day Delivery, Instead of using theirs, which was a low postage and i've felt it wouldn't be taking care Been in touch with a buyer. It's quite happy with it. He hasn't used it yet as it's a present. But is informed eBay that he has received this parcel. Not only that, eBay won't release the funds. Don't matter how many times I try to prove it. To them. Also, they charged a 105 pound to sell it. I was absolutely livid. Is I am real at pocket. I would not have touched them with a barge Pole. If I'd known this was going to happen, I would not Sell through them again. 

Message 27 of 54
See Most Recent

It doesn't matter what day of the week it is I sold my iPhone and the payment is now on hold until the 2nd of March. I've been in touch with a buyer who's informed eBay that he Received the parcel EBay have looked into this and have read this. And know that he has actually got the parcel. But I have to wait until the 2nd of March for them. To release the funds, not only that, 

They have taken a hundred and five pound off as well It doesn't matter who I speak to as I spoke to quite a few. And it seems like they're all reading from the same script. Might as well bang my head against the wall.

Message 28 of 54
See Most Recent

Despite me actually proving to them, and they knowing that the Buyer has received the parcel with I sent by royal mail special delivery. They can have tracking number and details plus they've taken £105 pounds Which I find is outrageous of. If.

I knew these things I would never have sold though them.

Message 29 of 54
See Most Recent

I agree on what you're saying I. Decided to go through Royal mail. Because the labels they sent me was only £2.50 I've found that not good enough. As I was selling a high price, it's very other iPhone 15 pro max. So I wanted to make sure it got there next day. Which it did the buyer has already told eBay? He has received a parcel and it's happy with it. But as a it's a present, it hasn't used it yet. But they still won't release funds Until the fourth of march, what shall I find outrageous. 

Message 30 of 54
See Most Recent

If you entered the tracking against the sale so that ebay can see it's been delivered,  they will release the funds sooner than the 4th March.

Message 31 of 54
See Most Recent

I've try that and also after for a link so I could show them on a photo
that he has received it and he has also told them that he has what are
matters what we're talking to a brick wall because it seems like the old
reading from the same script I've tried everything
Message 32 of 54
See Most Recent

So have you actually entered the tracking against the sale and that tracking shows delivery?

EBay is almost entirely automated, it relies on computer sweeps for things like delivery confirmation to release funds, it does not rely on members 'telling'  or 'showing' things to eBay reps.

Message 33 of 54
See Most Recent

So how do I do that?
Message 34 of 54
See Most Recent

I had full tracking, showed delivered, positive feedback received and they still won't release my funds, the amount of the sale was the issue! They were holding my money in case a return was started! I even had happybemails which eBay refused to take into account, sales of £1000 and over 90 days selling. It's outrageous I think as my money is sitting in their account gaining interest! We should get the interest.not eBay. They take enough in fees.

Message 35 of 54
See Most Recent

@wesim-7823 wrote:

It's outrageous I think as my money is sitting in their account gaining interest! We should get the interest.not eBay. They take enough in fees.

eBay do not hold the money, Adyen do, their payment processor.

Message 36 of 54
See Most Recent

Absolutely I'll definitely not be selling anything on Ebay again but what I
have done is written a letter of complaint to them we'll see what the
outcome is.
Message 37 of 54
See Most Recent

Look on the bright side you sold an iPhone 15 Pro Max online and were fortunate to have a good buyer. The are a complete scam magnet.

eBay set their fees out fully if you search their help pages so I don't really see what you have grounds to complain about? They hold funds to protect themselves and the buyer as you are an infrequent seller, it is all fairly standard. You can imagine how many dishonest sellers try to sell phones on here, eBay have to be cautious in this situation, the funds held are a perk if they do get interest on them but it isn't the primary reason for the hold I am sure of it. 

Message 38 of 54
See Most Recent

I've been with ebay 14 year's I'm normally a buyer and I've been scammed to
I gave all the evidence and the buyer told them as well. And £110 a lot of
money to lose yes I understand that there will be fees but not this much
plus I've even give them the tracking number. I needed that money to pay
for the other phone that I bought on ebay ever again will I do this.
Message 39 of 54
See Most Recent

I understand but imagine if your buyer decides it is faulty when the present is opened. eBay hold the funds for long enough with things like this in mind.

For all the stick they get eBay is still one of the only places to sell phones like this for the price they are worth. Many sellers get frustrated with them when this happens but unless it is sold cash on Facebook or something like that where else can you sell it online for a lower fee percentage?

If you get 70% or 80% off eBay fee promotions on eBay as a private seller always worth waiting for those before listing high value items.

Message 40 of 54
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: