MAJOR eBay site bug - item selling for the starting bid price, not buy-it-now price

itbits08
Conversationalist

2 listings from the same seller each with zero bids, a start price of £6 and buy-it-now of £14....added both to basket and clicked 'request total' for a combined postage invoice....items show in basket and purchase history as £6 + P&P each, not £14 + P&P each!

Crazy that eBay haven't tested their code properly. I wonder how many sellers have lost out through not noticing this bug?

Message 1 of 22
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MAJOR eBay site bug - item selling for the starting bid price, not buy-it-now price

katie@ebay
Employee (Retired)

Hi all,

I have received an update today in relation to this issue. They have noted that the issue is now resolved and will not happen moving forward.

The issue will not be fixed for past transactions, and have asked me to mention that these orders will need to be cancelled if needed by sellers.

Moving forward, there should be no new instances of this happening on the site. 

Thank you for your patience while the team got this resolved.

Many thanks,

Katie 

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 22
See Most Recent
21 REPLIES 21

Hi  no-one needs to lose money on this glitch.  Just contact your customer, let them know what has happened and cancel the sale.  You will get your fees back and be able to relist it.  Make sure that you report the glitch to eBay and they will try to fix it. They can not fix it until they know its broken.

Message 2 of 22
See Most Recent

@dejunk2015 wrote:

Hi  no-one needs to lose money on this glitch.  Just contact your customer, let them know what has happened and cancel the sale.  You will get your fees back and be able to relist it.  Make sure that you report the glitch to eBay and they will try to fix it. They can not fix it until they know its broken.

That's good advice except I think they are the buyer not the seller.

Message 3 of 22
See Most Recent

Yes I was the buyer. I don't know if the seller contacted eBay about it but we worked around it by the seller adding the difference to the invoice as a 'seller charge'. As I said, a waste of time for everyone and should have been properly tested by eBay - perhaps one of their reps kat@ebay  dave@ebay  katie@ebay can confirm it's going to be fixed? Thanks.

Message 4 of 22
See Most Recent

It's won't  do any good tagging Kat and Dave because they aren't here anymore.

Try  marco@ebay  or anita@ebay .

Message 5 of 22
See Most Recent

Thanks - I hope they get it fixed as this is the worst of the bugs I've seen (e.g. an incorrect link that takes you to the ebay.com basket instead of the ebay.co.uk one....spurious 'item not available' copies of items already in the basket....won auction items not showing in the basket....etc).

Anything that's gone wrong with prices or financials doesn't inspire much confidence in the site.

There are some improvements with the recent updates, but a lot of new issues unfortunately. The biggest complaint I have is the ever-increasing difficulty in offering or getting combined shipping - the latest problems being opting in all sellers to buyer autopay on best offer acceptance (meaning multiple offers accepted from the same seller get multiple shipping charges - buyer is then reliant on seller refunding the excess, which might not happen), also eBay have recently removed the 'combined postage' subject under 'contact seller'. If eBay thinks this will all force sellers to spend ages calculating multiple item shipping charges in advance based on size and weight etc I think they're wrong, because most sellers want to only calculate a combined shipping charge once they know exactly what items someone has bought. All these points have been mentioned on e.g. https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Seller-Central/Issues-with-customers-unable-to-request-a-combined-po... and https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Auto-Pay-if-offer-is-accepted-NO-EBAY-I-wanted-combined-shipp... but the issues remain.

Message 6 of 22
See Most Recent

itbits08
Conversationalist

Nothing back from eBay. The same problem happened again today with 2 more items from the same seller.

Reported to eBay customer service but the agent didn't have a clue.

I hope marco@ebay  or anita@ebay  can get it sorted out as it continues to be a nuisance.

Message 7 of 22
See Most Recent

i'VE also had this happen to me several times over the last week or so. I list items on BID & BUY IT NOW (£1.00 £ £2.00) for example, to run for 10 days.

Next thing the items are purchased at the BID price right away. This has happened with two seperate customers and co-incidentally both from Switzerland!

Hope this gets sorted.

Mark 

Message 8 of 22
See Most Recent

I can't believe eBay haven't fixed this yet - financial issues with their website should be a top priority. There's obviously some faulty code somewhere. eBay are ridiculous and negligent for not having sorted this out...they've been given full details of the issue so there's no excuse. It's just causing a lot of nuisance and wasted time for everyone.

My issue involved the UK website with buyer and seller both in the UK - if your buyers were in Switzerland it sounds like the problem isn't limited to a particular combination of buyer/seller locations.

Message 9 of 22
See Most Recent

Yes, happening to us too. Even worse, when the items sell, the auction is still continuing to the end. Then, if no one else bids, they show up in your Unsold list to be relisted even though you no longer have it!

Message 10 of 22
See Most Recent

katie@ebay here's the thread that was already started. Thanks

Message 11 of 22
See Most Recent

My latest affected items are 395018618901, 375074968432 and 395026032306.

Message 12 of 22
See Most Recent

katie@ebay
Employee (Retired)

Hi all,

Thank you @rainbowjam  for bringing this to my attention in the weekly chat.

I'm not seeing any noted bug like this so I am gathering information to report it.

Could I please confirm that this is only happening to items that are an auction with a BIN option?

I have the examples you shared with me @rainbowjam but if anyone else has item numbers please add them here.

Thanks,

Katie 

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 13 of 22
See Most Recent

katie@ebay yes, it's just auction items that have a BIN price as well. All three of mine sold last Monday as BINs before the auction end date. But, unknown to me, the auctions continued and all three got no bids and went into my Unsold list. Without knowing of the issue, I then relisted all three, again as auction with BIN and one of them has since sold. Luckily I had another copy so I was able to fulfil the order. I've now ended one of them and left the other one running as, again, I have a second copy of it.

I only use auction with BIN on my cheap clearance items, as a loss leader, purely to use up the auction allocation that comes with my shop subscription so thankfully it's not a selling format that I use on many of my listings.

Message 14 of 22
See Most Recent

Thank you very much.

I've gone ahead and reported the situation. I don't have a timeline on when I will hear back but when I know more I will share it here.

Many thanks,

Katie 

eBay
Message 15 of 22
See Most Recent

when you click 'request total' you are requesteing the seller to send you a new invoice with total. you need to wait for new invoice

Message 16 of 22
See Most Recent

katie@ebay
Employee (Retired)

Hi all,

I'm still working on this at the moment.

I am getting a lot of pushback as they cannot reproduce the issue.

@rainbowjam do you have any live examples that have not been cancelled yet that I can use? Or that were cancelled via the site?

Thanks,

Katie 

eBay
Message 17 of 22
See Most Recent

Hi katie@ebay  thanks for reporting this - the items I bought with the issue mentioned in my original post "2 listings from the same seller each with zero bids, a start price of £6 and buy-it-now of £14....added both to basket and clicked 'request total' for a combined postage invoice....items show in basket and purchase history as £6 + P&P each, not £14 + P&P each!" were 196049959622 and 196049941923.

2 others I bought from the same seller with the same problem were 196066366823 and 196066187894.

One other issue is that these 4 items show up as awaiting feedback, but when I click on 'Leave Feedback' it says "We can't find this transaction. Please check your transactions to give Feedback."

Message 18 of 22
See Most Recent

katie@ebay I'm afraid I don't have any further examples as I don't sell much using the auction format, just a few clearance items.

Message 19 of 22
See Most Recent

itbits08
Conversationalist

katie@ebay I'm just wondering if eBay have fixed this yet - on 20 December I sent you example item numbers you requested above that had the problem. Hope this resolves the 'pushback' you were getting from your colleagues. Please confirm whether eBay have now resolved this issue - thanks

Message 20 of 22
See Most Recent