I Was Asked To Confirm My Email Address & Phone Number During Signing In-Is This Normal?

Hi,

When I was going through Ebay's 2-step sign-in process, a box popped up and asked me to confirm my email address and phone number. 

This seemed out of the ordinary for me.  If I have VPN turned on when signing in to Ebay, it will ask me to confirm my phone number.  However, I did not have the VPN turned on and it asked me for email and phone number together in a pop-up box, which I thought was out of the ordinary.

Has anyone else had to do this when they are signing in via Ebay's 2-step sign-in process?

Thank you 

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

I Was Asked To Confirm My Email Address & Phone Number During Signing In-Is This Normal?

Just to add a note - I did confirm my details but was worried that this was so out of the ordinary that someone was spying on my browser.  If this at all possible - not very tech minded.  I did run a full system scan afterwards and nothing showed up as a threat.  

Thank you

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Hi plushvelvet54, thanks for your post.

Yes, that's ok, all users would need to do at some stage like in most platforms. It is just a safety measure, so nothing to worry about.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

@plushvelvet54 wrote:

If I have VPN turned on when signing in to Ebay, it will ask me to confirm my phone number.  However, I did not have the VPN turned on and it asked me for email and phone number together in a pop-up box, which I thought was out of the ordinary.

This behaviour would be expected. When you sign in using the VPN you are likely connecting to eBay via a pool of IP addresses owned by the VPN provider. So, eBay learned to expect that you would be signing in from an IP address belonging to that pool. However, when you signed in without using the VPN eBay would have seen an attempted sign in from a completely different IP address to what you normally sign-in from; thus triggering an extra security step to confirm it really was you trying to sign in.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent