Who do I turn to. ?

An item I posted was delivered yesterday ( 11. 50 am Sunday)  , the person was out and it was left on the front door step and a card was put through the door.

At 15.20 I get a message from the buyer saying there's no parcel just the note through the door, he has checked on Evri's website and seen the picture of the parcel on his door step but it's gone, he says it must of been stolen , now I realize he could be lying but he could also be telling the truth so I've refunded him regardless as Ebay would have done it automatically and it saves time but my question is, who do I turn to if at all I can ?!!

Evri have delivered it but are they countable ?

Message 1 of 23
See Most Recent
22 REPLIES 22

Who do I turn to. ?

plum993
Experienced Mentor

You didn't have to refund the buyer if the tracking (should always  be uploaded to ebay once dispatched) showed as delivered.

The buyer should of made alternate arrangements if they were not going to be in,as parcel theft is rife this time of the year

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 2 of 23
See Most Recent

Who do I turn to. ?

Sorry, but I can't agree with that.  If the reciever is out and there is no safe place to leave a package, the evri driver should have taken the package back for a re-arranged delivery.  Leaving on a front door step in view is not a safe place, so unless Evri can show that the parcel was left safe (the driver should have taken a photograph of the point of delivery which should show on the Evri tracking website) it is entirely their liability. 

However, Evri being the new Hermes, getting them to accept that and pay you compensation is likely to be (to quote a rather crude expression) like "trying to poke smoke up a cat's backside with a knitting needle".

You will possibly begin to realise why so many people on these boards recommend to avoid using Evri (although it seems to be increasingly the case that some of the alternatives are getting nearly as bad 😞)

Message 3 of 23
See Most Recent

Who do I turn to. ?

Do you know what the note said?  I think I would ask for a photo of it as if it says it's been left outside then it may help you with a claim to Evri.

It's been years since I used them so no idea how easy a claim is, but if you bought via Packlink then prepare for a fight, judging from what I've read on here.

I can't think of anything else you can do other than put in a claim.

Was it very expensive?

Items would be best sent via a tracked & signed method this time of year to help reduce the chance of items being left outside. 

In my listings I suggest that if buyers might be out that they can change their delivery address before paying to their work or family etc., as some maybe don't think about it or realise you can do this.

Message 4 of 23
See Most Recent

Who do I turn to. ?

The only time Amazon or Evri leave me a note is when the parcel has been left with a neighbour. They never leave a note if it's tucked to one side by my front door. As that's already obvious to see.

Message 5 of 23
See Most Recent

Who do I turn to. ?

The last week we have had a nightmare with both those couriers plus RM...so much so that i have been out to the shops to buy the last of my pressies.  Bearing in mind i am home 90% of the time and its obvious i am in......

Items thrown in the back garden after them not knocking the door and just putting a note through the letterbox saying its been left with a neighbour

My items just being left with neighbours  who thankfully bring them over

Items just being left at the side of the drive  or under large shrubs with no notice of such  (my next door neighbour noticed and grabbed the for me)

One thing for sure.....carriers are not calling back to try and deliver a 2nd time

My neighbours too often knock my door in an attempt to track their parcel

Message 6 of 23
See Most Recent

Who do I turn to. ?

Here, mainly Yodel & Evri, the first I've know that parcels have been left elsewhere is when they show as delivered on the website.  None have left note....

It seems to be different depending on where you live.

I read on another thread about buyers wanting a selection of couriers to choose from for their deliveries, but I don't see this fixing the problem either, as one may be good where a buyer lives, but not where the seller is.  Neither do all sellers live in cities where there is more choice, to be able to offer choice.

Message 7 of 23
See Most Recent

Who do I turn to. ?

Quick update

I've informed Evri that I'm going to take them to Small Claims court due to their negligence,  they have admitted that the parcel wasn't left in a safe place but are trying to say my claim is against Parcel2go as it was them who I booked it through but they're wrong  I can claim against Evri and that's what I've informed them I'm going to do.

I'm just waiting for their reply ...

The parcel contents were worth £99.00 and with postage £104.99 and I'm not letting that go without a fight .Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply

Message 8 of 23
See Most Recent

Who do I turn to. ?

You paid Parcel2go and they deliver by what is a cut down Evri service.

Around here the Evri driver knocks on the door and hands me my parcel with a smile.

Parcel2go is a different driver who just drops the parcel by my front door then drives off.

Parcel2go is best avoided. Using Evri direct is best. Most of the criticism aimed at Evri probably should be directed at Parcel2go.

Message 9 of 23
See Most Recent

Who do I turn to. ?

Parcel2go is a Broker/comparison site

Message 10 of 23
See Most Recent

Who do I turn to. ?

@andhol39 wrote:

Parcel2go is a Broker/comparison site

Where you buy cut price lesser services............and............

Message 11 of 23
See Most Recent

Who do I turn to. ?

parcel2go do not deliver anything nor do they have a seperate evri driver. Doesn't matter where you booked the Evri service through - packlink / parcel2go / evri direct/ parcelhero etc etc : your parcel will be handled by the same team and delivered by the same person. [ but note that there are sometimes relief drivers and also drivers who handle the heavier or bulkier items over a large area so it is possible to see a number of 'evri' faces in any one area in the same week]

Message 12 of 23
See Most Recent

Who do I turn to. ?

@tidyingupanddownsizing wrote:

nor do they have a seperate evri driver

I'll pass that on to the driver who appeared an hour after the usual Evri driver handed a parcel to me.

But no I can't, as unlike the usual Evri driver he just dropped the parcel on my doorstep and drove off.

Message 13 of 23
See Most Recent

Who do I turn to. ?

It seems like your agreement is with Parcel2Go rather than Evri. If my understanding is correct, seeking resolution through Small Claims court with Parcel2Go may the only viable option, considering that is where your contractual ties lie. I presume your payment was made to Parcel2Go.

I'd like to mention that when booking through Parcel2Go, there is a possibility that you inadvertently absolved the couriers of any liabilities, shifting these responsibilities to the booking agent. It might seem like a somewhat deceptive tactic, but it's a method employed to sustain their business model. I recommend verifying this information by revisiting the terms and conditions, as such details are typically tucked away in the fine print.

While it's within your right to take legal action against any party, it's important to acknowledge that the likelihood of success might be slim to zero without a direct contract with Evri. Their responsibilities primarily extend to Parcel2Go, not directly to you,& as there sleeping in the same bed that will not help.

Unfortunately, the decision to refund the buyer may has inadvertently relinquished the protection typically afforded by eBay. Although most buyers are honest, some may exploit situations, and sellers might issue refunds without full awareness. eBay's ability to discern such instances is more effective through a comprehensive trading history analysis. In genuine cases, eBay might have facilitated a no-fault refund (eBay them self’s pay). Regrettably, you have passed this this point.

Message 14 of 23
See Most Recent

Who do I turn to. ?

Thats incorrect,  I can claim against Evri through the Rights of Third Parties 1999 

Message 15 of 23
See Most Recent

Who do I turn to. ?

Every day brings new opportunities to learn, and I appreciate your updates with this intricate document, which may seem challenging to the less experienced “including me”.

If you right then It's possible that Evri is now regretting their acknowledgment of an unsafe delivery back at HQ.

If any one would like to read it just google Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999

Message 16 of 23
See Most Recent

Who do I turn to. ?

@andhol39 wrote:

I can claim against Evri through the Rights of Third Parties 1999 

I would be interested in seeing how that pans out.

You say Evri admits that it was left in an unsafe place but is that any different to eBay CS admitting this and that and saying they will do this and don't. Then finally one just says computer says no.

What I'm asking is does the admission need to be on some Evri headed paper? Does anything count in an email or phone call when perhaps the company will just say their worker had no right to speak on this.

I'm just guessing that things can get very complicated and not at all clear cut.

Message 17 of 23
See Most Recent

Who do I turn to. ?

What are your parcel delivery rights?

More and more of are buying our Christmas presents online, and sending packages to loved ones instead of giving in-person gifts. But with delivery delays and a rise in doorstop parcel thefts, shopping from the comfort of your own home hasn't necessarily been the most convenient option.

If your parcel hasn't arrived in the timeframe you were promised, getting a refund may seem like a no-brainer, but it can be complicated to know how. Here's everything you need to know about your parcel delivery rights.

The first thing to be aware of is that when you buy goods, your legal contract is with the retailer. “Which means under the Consumer Rights Act, they’re responsible for the safe delivery of your order," says Gary Rycroft, a solicitor  and consumer law expert.

According to the Consumer Rights Act, your delivery must be made without undue delay and within 30 days from the date of purchase unless you and the retailer agree otherwise. So if you're order is late - even if you think it's the fault of a courier - complain directly to the retailer.

If a specific delivery date was agreed, e.g. a guaranteed delivery date or next day delivery and you paid extra for this, you can claim back the extra delivery cost as the service wasn’t delivered.

"You are entitled to a refund of the additional delivery cost. For example, if you paid £5 extra for next day delivery and it didn’t arrive until days later, you are entitled to this charge being refunded, as the retailer is in breach of contract."

Missing deliveries:

No sign of your parcel? You may have had an email from the delivery company claiming it’s been delivered when it hasn’t.

Consumer expert Martyn James says: "It’s the retailer’s responsibility to ensure those goods are in your hands, not just left on your doorstop where anything could happen to them."

So if there’s a problem, get in touch with the retailer to complain via email or through its customer service helpline.

One thing to be aware of is if you give permission for your delivery to be left in a specified safe place or received by a nominated neighbour and something goes wrong, you will still be considered to have received the delivery. Think very carefully about those options when you’re making a purchase.

Parcel theft:

According to Quadient, a technology company, found parcel theft has risen by 57 per cent in the past year, with the average reported value of a stolen parcel £66.50. If you set a 'safe place' and your parcel was stolen from there, this is unfortunately your responsibility.

However, if your parcel was left anywhere that you did not yourself specify, you will be able to receive a refund or a replacement.

Source: https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/consumer-advice/consumer-rights/a34959595/parcel-delivery-rights...

Message 18 of 23
See Most Recent

Who do I turn to. ?

I am not certain eBay would have refunded him anyway as his chosen delivery method is not safe but it is too late.
Don't use Evri. Once a company has performed like that, that is the end of your trading relationship: it makes no sense to pay them your money.  EBay is encouraging cheap-skatery with Free Postage etc and these trashy delivery services but there comes a point where sellers are not making any money and are working for nothing. 

Message 19 of 23
See Most Recent

Who do I turn to. ?

I think also as a side effect, it can also damage sales in general, because of the cost of 'reliable' delivery is higher, so, especially with smaller items, I've not bought things because the postage was more than the item and doesn't make it of value to me personally, but I know why it's like that, so just move on, I know some might say that postage shouldn't be included in the cost of something but when you are working to a specific budget, it hinders your buying options, so less sales for some.

I try and offer free postage but now, either have to add a service or make the item more expensive to cover costs, I don't like doing that, as a 'bargain' can soon turn into a non sale and whilst I'm a private seller with low volumes , IMHO it's just a matter of scale as the symptoms are the same for everyone.

I am now also going to start using saved sellers independant websites more, outside the box, I know that doesn't make delivery any better but, cheaper usually, some offer warranties, (CEX offer 2 yrs on SH! I know they have a bad rep but our local franchise one is very good and hands on checking/testing), free or cheaper postage, some consistancy in what too expect through the door and it just feels better and momre relaxed not having EB looking over your shoulder or dodgy people to deal with.

So already another not using EB as much, not because of the sellers or buyers, but the environment plus I'm sick of Ads from Japan shoved into my eyeballs. ; )

Message 20 of 23
See Most Recent