what have we been reading lately , any recommendations?

we havent had a book thread for a while

i have just  finished terry pratchtt's Dodger ,  again, only the 2nd time round

have Christina Hopkinson's  ' the pile of stuff at the bottom of the stairs' on the go , when i get chance  lol

and before that a stuart macbride and  sara paretsky  from the libary

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 1 of 49
See Most Recent
48 REPLIES 48

The White Queen, Phillipa Gregory.

**********Sam**********
Message 2 of 49
See Most Recent

Just reading "the shock of the fall" by Nathan Filer

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 3 of 49
See Most Recent

I recently read the Divergent Trilogy (film coming out soon and I like to read the books first). It's in the Hunger Games 'stable' but very different if that makes sense. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1840309/

In a world divided by factions based on virtues, Tris learns she's Divergent and won't fit in. When she discovers a plot to destroy Divergents, Tris and the mysterious Four must find out what makes Divergents dangerous before it's too late.

Now reading the second book in The Passage Trilogy (Cronin).

An epic and gripping tale of catastrophe and survival, The Passage is the story of Amy—abandoned by her mother at the age of six, pursued and then imprisoned by the shadowy figures behind a government experiment of apocalyptic proportions. But Special Agent Brad Wolgast, the lawman sent to track her down, is disarmed by the curiously quiet girl and risks everything to save her. As the experiment goes nightmarishly wrong, Wolgast secures her escape—but he can’t stop society’s collapse. And as Amy walks alone, across miles and decades, into a future dark with violence and despair, she is filled with the mysterious and terrifying knowledge that only she has the power to save the ruined world - See more at: http://enterthepassage.com/the-passage/#sthash.WV2yCrr0.dpuf

Amy Harper Bellafonte is six years old and her mother thinks she's the most important person in the whole world.

She is.

Anthony Carter doesn't think he could ever be in a worse place than Death Row.

He's wrong.

FBI agent Brad Wolgast thinks something beyond imagination is coming.

It is.

THE PASSAGE.

In a completly different style I'm waiting for Jeffrey Archer's next book in the Clifton Chronicles. Due out March

still sig
Message 4 of 49
See Most Recent

Read "The House Of Bones" and it scared me witless.

Message 5 of 49
See Most Recent

if anyone likes true stories i have just finished  silence and silence broken by natasha preston.which were very good books and well written.

also

if anyone reads catherine cookson type books i have also just finished a triolgy called yorkshire grit  by margaret muir very well written and very good story

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 6 of 49
See Most Recent

I am reading the first Paul OGrady book at the moment. It's very good but I just read a chapter now & then as I don't seem to make time for reading these days. I really must make an effort. I can't get comfortable in bed to read & the light in my bedroom isn't good enough anyway. I have a pile of books I want to read including some Steven King & most of the Phillipa Gregory ones. 

I can recomment Purfume by Patrik Suskind & Pompeii by Robert Harris.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 49
See Most Recent

I can never stay awake long enough to read more than half a page!!  I just got Eloise by Judy Finnigan because it was very highly recommended to me, but so far I'm not really into it.   I think it's because I don't read long enough to remember what happened on the previous pages! 

Message 8 of 49
See Most Recent

sometimes i get so into a book  i  forget i am supposed to be doing something else  lol

a couple of times ive finished a book lately  and its been after  midnight  so ive needed to set an alarm

think ive read all but the last  stuart macbride book

have ian rankin's latest Rebus waiting on the ereader

i did  go back and read the Lord peter wimsey/harriet vane  books of  dorothy l sayers (and the jaill paton walsh ones )  books  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 9 of 49
See Most Recent

I see nobody is owning up to 50 shades of Grey! lol. I also like Catherine Cooksons historical novels,& I love anything to do with Egyptology & archeology.

**********Sam**********
Message 10 of 49
See Most Recent

Seeing as you mention it,,,all along i said i did not want to read Fifty Shades but i have just finished the Trilogy only because my friend persuaded me and said they are good. Its really not just about the S*X. It tells the story of a damaged man trying to come to terms with what happened when he was a baby,,and then as a teenage boy. And then how he changes when he falls deeply in love with Ana. It has got lots of S*X but it turns to love, something Christian never imagines could happen. It had me crying.

And then i brought the new Val Mcdermid , cross and Burn in the week but not started it yet. I normally like Thriller ,Forensic Crime stories. And Romances too.

Woman Happy 

Message 11 of 49
See Most Recent

I have read "Eloise" parts of it were good but overall I wasnt impressed. Just reserved a book called "One Girl And Her Dogs" at the library, about a Shepherdess running a farm and lambing etc. Seeing as I seem to have a thing about sheep at the moment, I can't wait to collect the book and start reading it; also reserved one about Hannah Hauxwell; I saw the documentary in the 70's.

Message 12 of 49
See Most Recent

@carolyorkie2010 wrote:

I have read "Eloise" parts of it were good but overall I wasnt impressed. Just reserved a book called "One Girl And Her Dogs" at the library, about a Shepherdess running a farm and lambing etc. Seeing as I seem to have a thing about sheep at the moment, I can't wait to collect the book and start reading it; also reserved one about Hannah Hauxwell; I saw the documentary in the 70's.

if you like sheep these books i have just read are about a girl taking on a sheep farm before the war,i have also just finished a triolgy called yorkshire grit  by margaret muir very well written and very good story

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 13 of 49
See Most Recent

Get reading quick ! I'll book you in for the twilight shift i! lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 14 of 49
See Most Recent

Ok Sam. LOL Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 49
See Most Recent

Just a quick point, all Shepherds are shepherds, we do not distinguish . No sexists here! lol

**********Sam**********
Message 16 of 49
See Most Recent

Oh right, sorry about that. Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 49
See Most Recent

i always see  shephardesses as the blue and white ornaments with their big flounced  frocks and bows on the crook

Message 18 of 49
See Most Recent

Yea right! lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 19 of 49
See Most Recent

I move between Jodi Picoult, Daine Chamberlain and Dorothy Koomson.

Just finished Goodnight Beautiful and started Necessary Lies.

......................................................................................................................

A clean house is the sign of a broken computer!
Message 20 of 49
See Most Recent