what have we been reading lately , any recommendations?

we havent had a book thread for a while

i have just  finished terry pratchtt's Dodger ,  again, only the 2nd time round

have Christina Hopkinson's  ' the pile of stuff at the bottom of the stairs' on the go , when i get chance  lol

and before that a stuart macbride and  sara paretsky  from the libary

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 1 of 49
See Most Recent
48 REPLIES 48

Just finished the latest Inspector Banks novel by Peter Robinson, now reading Death Watch by Jim Kelly.

Message 21 of 49
See Most Recent

I agree Rose the story is clever but I feel it could have been told in two books you really don't need the repetitive sex in it, a little over the top , don't ya think? Funny though! lol..

**********Sam**********
Message 22 of 49
See Most Recent

The Red Queen by Phillipa Gregory, and Hey Fatty by Dawn French,  Don't do a lot of reading lately, I lways seem to fall asleep.

Message 23 of 49
See Most Recent

I've not read any books for a good while but when I do read, I like crime novels.  I like the Rebus books by Ian Rankin and I've read nearly all of those.  I also like the Wallender books by Henning Mankell.  

Message 24 of 49
See Most Recent

Re-reading Paula by Isabel Allende for the umpteenth time. Hard to explain it if you don't know her work but Wiki says THIS. A book that always makes this big rufty tufty biker a bit moist round the eyes!

Message 25 of 49
See Most Recent

Another  Jodi Picoult and Dorothy Koomson reader here but have just started The Old Elm Tree by Gregory J Curtis and am enjoying it - each chapter in a different decade with different characters.

I do read more with a Kindle, though winter is also a time for hibernating with a good book and letting the real world go past you for a few hours 🙂

Message 26 of 49
See Most Recent

Just read The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier which kept me wanted to get back to bed ! 

I also read 50 shades and wanted to know how Christian ended up not hear about that room I have forgotten the name of !Woman Embarassed I enjoyed Eloise as living in Cornwall found the local setting interesting !

Have recently joined a book group my friend has set up , our 1st read was "Summer in February" by Jonathan Smith which I struggled for the 1st 100 pages ! Now reading 'The Reluctant Fundamentalist ' by Mohsin Hamid only a couple chapters in 

Message 27 of 49
See Most Recent

@saasher2012 wrote:
I agree Rose the story is clever but I feel it could have been told in two books you really don't need the repetitive sex in it, a little over the top , don't ya think? Funny though! lol..

Yes i agree Sam. I dont think that much is possible is it???. LOOOOOL. Im probably just jealous!!!!!!!!!.... HA HA HA ooohhh dear. If all relationships happened like that it would be lovely would it not???. It does not happen in my World LOL.

Message 28 of 49
See Most Recent

Nor mine Rose! I've never heard a lot of those words & had to ask my Sister in law ! Oops! I've obviously been missing out on something. Note to myself, variety is not always the spice of life. Lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 29 of 49
See Most Recent

Haaaaa haaaaaaa LOL. Well im sorry but there was nothing mentioned that i Had Not heard of. LOL. I think just getting on the bed would exhaust me ha ha ha ha . ooooooops. I would fall asleep before any handcuffs went on i think!!!.

smily lady lassoo.gif

Message 30 of 49
See Most Recent

lol, just the thought of it would exhaust me! I'd need a months notice so I could get fit. lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 31 of 49
See Most Recent

LOL LOL haaa haaaaa LOL SAM

Message 32 of 49
See Most Recent

We are a pair of naughty girls ain't we Rose?. But ya gotta have a larf or you'd cry! lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 33 of 49
See Most Recent

yes SAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Thats the Spirit young lady. I have been sitting here chuckling to myself,,,sometimes i just sit really laughing i cant help it. Once i start i cant stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I usually get a Migraine the next day LOOOOOOL LOOOOOL. Probably got my blood vessels too excited ha ha. At least my head did not explode!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Woman LOLWoman LOL oooooohhhhhh my gawd ooooopsss LOL

Message 34 of 49
See Most Recent

I can thoroughly recommend a few - all very different genres though.

I was given The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch - brilliant book -"Elite con artists "Gentlemen Ba**ards" rob the rich of Camorr city, based on late medieval Venice but on an unnamed planet" - I'm just starting on the next book in the series.

Extraordinary Creatures byTracy Chevalier - about Mary Anning and her fossil discoveries at Lyme Regis.

Saga of the Pliocene Exiles by Julian May - recently re-read this quartet of books, still as good as I remembered.

I think I really enjoyed The Reluctant Fundamentalist.

Message 35 of 49
See Most Recent

Thanks Chips shall put Extraordinary Creatures on my list .

Message 36 of 49
See Most Recent

I read a lot of Jacqueline Wilson books, my current one of hers being Dustbin Baby 🙂
Message 37 of 49
See Most Recent

Has anyone tried the Hilary Mantel books?  Woolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies?  I thoroughly enjoyed them, and it gave me a completely different take on Thomas Cromwell.  Like most people I had been lead to believe he was a total s**t, but this changed my opinion completely.  It is always good to see the other side of things because historical records can be very one sided.

Message 38 of 49
See Most Recent

I am now reading Amelias Fireside Dream by Abby Clements. I started it yesterday and have nearly finished. Its an easy book to read and the type is a bit bigger which helps.

Woman Happy

Message 39 of 49
See Most Recent

Just finished "Mudbound" by Hillary Jordan Woman Happy  Each chapter was told by one of the main characters , very enjoyable :smileyhappy: Infact have bought another of hers to read !!

Message 40 of 49
See Most Recent