Your ideas please for my next project

I have laid my hands on these two items and want to do something with them, the box I think is an old cutlery box, I think I can bash the mounts out, but need to know how to get the baize off the inside, thought about steaming it off, not sure weither it would damage the wood,  the second item is a wine carrier of sorts, what could I use it for apart from a wine carrier and what could I do to it to make a feature of it.  I have ideas for both but don't want to go off with ideas, need a plan.

P1016066.JPG

P1016067.JPG

P1016069.JPG

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

it will have been stuck on with that brown rabbit glue stuff, and it's not as pliable as our modern glues.

I would leave it, in case I got some of it off and not all of it, then it would be ruined.

Photobucket

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

I think I'd try to knock off those raised bits, and use a fabric glue to attach a different fabric on top of the baize.  As for the other item, I too thought magazine rack.  I'd probably paint it with a chalky paint in a pastel colour. 

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

oooh Ed, you may find it hard to get the baise off, it's stuck on fast, unless you can try to pull it off, I'd leave it on and go over it with some other dark fabric.

you could make the wine box thingy into a little side table, roll up magazines, in the bottom, pens etc. bottle of juice etc....

any use?

Photobucket

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

O would try an iron to get the baize off. Get it nice and hot then peel it off.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

OOhhhh yes its like on a Snooker table,,you need someone who knows how to get it off of on of them!!!!.Woman Wink

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

it will have been stuck on with that brown rabbit glue stuff, and it's not as pliable as our modern glues.

I would leave it, in case I got some of it off and not all of it, then it would be ruined.

Photobucket

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

I think I'd try to knock off those raised bits, and use a fabric glue to attach a different fabric on top of the baize.  As for the other item, I too thought magazine rack.  I'd probably paint it with a chalky paint in a pastel colour. 

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Thanks guys, was worried about the baize, I will get some nice fabric and put it over the top I think otherwise i could make a right pigs ear of it.

Good idea about the wine thingy, rolled up magazines, and maybe the remotes could go in one of the compartments.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent