Hello folks can anybody tell me what type of plant this is please,they are taking my garden over.

Message 1 of 20
See Most Recent
19 REPLIES 19

Hello folks can anybody tell me what type of plant this is please,they are taking my garden over.

they're harebells...a wild plant and the devil to keep under control. They don't last that long, just a spring plant. I have blue and while ones, I've tried to dig them out so I just have one large clump.

You need to dig deep to get rid of them, they are like spring onions and are buried deep.

Don't you like them?

Photobucket

Message 2 of 20
See Most Recent

They look like white bluebells rather than harebells.

Message 3 of 20
See Most Recent

white harebells are larger, and grow taller....how tall are they?

I have some bluebells that come up in with the harebells too.

Photobucket

Message 4 of 20
See Most Recent

thanks caitain,yes i love them,but every year they spread to fast,do you think i could sell the bulbs on ebay,?
Message 5 of 20
See Most Recent

They're cultivated Spanish bluebells (a garden variety) - my garden is infested with them and only a combination of systemic weedkiller and deep digging makes any impact on them

Message 6 of 20
See Most Recent

they are 19 inches tall captain ovine
Message 7 of 20
See Most Recent

yes i have bluebells that come up this time of year as well.
Message 8 of 20
See Most Recent

thanks for the reply,could i sell the bulbs on ebay?
Message 9 of 20
See Most Recent

I don't see why not, you can't sell bluebells can you? as they are a protected species.

Photobucket

Message 10 of 20
See Most Recent

you could be right,harebells google says that they are a seed plant not bulb!
Message 11 of 20
See Most Recent

I don't mean to be funny CB but during this thread, you seem to have changed from a cow to a sheep!!

Message 12 of 20
See Most Recent

They are definately not harebells - these are harebells

http://virtualheb.co.uk/harebell-blue-wildflowers-western-isles.html

The ones in the picture are a white variety of bluebells.

You can legally sell them as they are cultivated and not taken from the wild.  Legally you can't even pick wild bluebells or even gather the seed, but with cultivated ones there is no problem.

I can't tell from the photo if they are the Spanish ones or the native English ones as it is upside down.  Spanish bluebells are a real threat to our native species as they cross breed and are endangering our natives ones, usually you can tell the native ones by the rich scent  - Spanish ones have very little scent and are much stronger and robust.

Message 13 of 20
See Most Recent

i thought they were straight forward white bluebells and you can also get pink bluebells

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 14 of 20
See Most Recent

Not upside down for me. They look like white english bluebells. I can see the likeness to harebells but the harebell stem is very fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 15 of 20
See Most Recent

the pollen is pale yellow if that helps.i think i will just list them as bluebells then buyers can decide for themselves from the pics,thank you ever one for you kind advice
Message 16 of 20
See Most Recent

There are some already listed on Ebay...check out White Bluebells.

Message 17 of 20
See Most Recent

upside down bluebells  to me.  If they are spanish bluebells it would be a good idea to get rid of them otherwise they could cross breed with your english ones and that would be sad.  English bluebells are expensive to buy,  if they are advertised cheap they are either taken from the wild or spanish bluebells.

Message 18 of 20
See Most Recent

I just thought Snowdrops but am not up on my plants and flowers. Theres so many varieties now!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Their Gorgeous though. I would not mind some of those!!!.

Woman Happy

Message 19 of 20
See Most Recent

Although the shot of the plant appears upside down on my screen, when looking at it the right way up they do appear to be quite tall.  Judging by the shot and the fact that you said they were about 19" tall I'd be included to agree with xtf70 and say that they're Spanish Bluebells, as they can become quite tall and are very difficult to get rid of once established.

Message 20 of 20
See Most Recent