York

I have a couple of days in York at the end of the month and never having been there before I wondered if any of you have any tips for things to do, places to see.

Message 1 of 37
See Most Recent
36 REPLIES 36

York

My husband loves York and he has been there quite a few times for work,  he likes the Shambles, lots of small shops with unusual things for sale. Nice place to just wander around as well.

Message 2 of 37
See Most Recent

York

Which end?  It is the end tomorrow.  Woman LOL

There's the Shambles, the minster, the dungeons.  I haven't been for 50 years but I expect all those are still there. Enjoy.

Message 3 of 37
See Most Recent

York

used to enjoy the castle museum, the jorvik viking centre and the minster

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 4 of 37
See Most Recent

York

Don't forget Bettys!

http://www.bettys.co.uk/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 37
See Most Recent

York

Then there's the National Railway Museum.  I've never been to Betty's but I've walked passed the one in Harrogate and it's a million calories just looking at the cakes in there.

Message 6 of 37
See Most Recent

York

All those things that are mentioned are great & well worth visiting, but please if you get chance go into the country side & drink in the truly wild & beautiful scenery, I was very lucky to have worked in it in my youth & have never forgotten the breathtaking scenery .

**********Sam**********
Message 7 of 37
See Most Recent

York

Unfortunately I won't have car up there, I'm flying to Manchester and then train from there, driving is 7+ hours and I don't fancy the return journey on a Friday afternoon/early eveing of a Bank Holiday weekend.

The Castle Museum and the Shambles it is, I'm going to a posh dinner at the Railway Museum which I'm really looking forward to and we get a tour  - after looking at the cost of afternoon tea at Bettys - £26.95! - I think I may give that a miss.

I did afternoon tea at Fortnums a few years, very nice, but not really worth the money.

Message 8 of 37
See Most Recent

York

You'll love it! Enjoy & spoil yourself .lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 9 of 37
See Most Recent

York

we walked the city wall

you can look down into peoples gardens from there,  great if you want to walk a little

railway musuem , ive been several times over the years, from when it was just starting

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 10 of 37
See Most Recent

York

Don't take your car - the parking fees in the town centre are crippling.  We went up for a week about five years ago and we vowed then never to return.  The council have ruined it for everybody.  Worse still York Cathedral - a house of God, charges people to take a service!  I walked out - a house of God should be FREE  for anybody wishing to pray.  That's wrong - TOTALLY wrong.  The Jorvic Centre is good - until you see the price!  If you are going to go, go early.  The only good points about York are the Shambles and the wall.  A normal meal came to about £8.00 a head five years ago.  Go at your peril - you'll need a VERY deep wallet.  The only thing we did enjoy was a boat trip where you could hire your own little motorboat, and the park just outside the wall.  My wife and daughter had been there before and enjoyed it, but both agreed the parking fees and prices generally had ruined things - so much so, as I said, we vowed never to return.  One interesting fact is about four miles from the city centre lies the grave of notorious highwayman Dick Turpin!  He has sympathisers - his grave always has flowers on it and people often pause at his grave and cross themselves.  The interesting thing about him is he bears two different names.

Message 11 of 37
See Most Recent

York

How much do the tourist attractions charge in London Frederick?  York Minster have been charging to go in there for years.  Are you complaining because it's in the north?

Message 12 of 37
See Most Recent

York

York is lovely.  Been twice - once a shopping/museum trip which I thoroughly enjoyed, the other with non shoppers where we toured the countryside and ate well.

As to charging to view a house of God - I do not/will not pay to enter a church unless for a concert or something similar.  That said I always donate, as I was brought up to.  

Son wanted to see a King James bible exhibition in Winchester a few years back.  It was free and one collected a ticket from the Cathedral.  The Cathedral tried to persuade us to see their exhibition which was also free, once you had paid to go in!.  We stayed with the original plan and had an interesting visit to Winchester College as well for free(not that it didn't cost an arm and a leg in a nearby bookshop!)

Now last time I went and looked Salisbury Cathedral was still free.  When we go we donate, visit the shop and buy a souvenir and spend some money in the cafe. 

Message 13 of 37
See Most Recent

York

fredrick

copied from the minster ws

"

* York Residents: Entrance to the Minster is free with valid identification including: driving licence, utility bill, or proof of York address.
** Your Minster ticket includes a free guided tour (subject to availability).

It costs £20,000 a day to run York Minster. Your admission charge directly supports the future of this holy and historic building. In these circumstances we trust you will understand why we charge for entry. No charges are made for those who wish to enter York Minster to pray, light a candle, or attend a service.

http://www.yorkminster.org/visit-york-minster/opening-times-amp-admission.html

your ticket is valid for 12 month according to the page

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 14 of 37
See Most Recent

York

OK I stand corrected on that point about taking part in a service - perhaps they've changed it.  All I do know is one shouldn't be charged to enter a house of God.  Nothing unusual about that, I suppose.  I went up St. Michael's Mount - the one in France, and refused to pay to go into the chapel at the top.

I only had my shirt and it poured cats and dogs as I was trying to make my way down.

My father was in fits of laughter:  "Divine retribution!"  he kept laughing.  Right through to my underwear, it was that heavy.Smiley LOL

Message 15 of 37
See Most Recent

York

Most of the revenue collected goes towards the upkeep of the church it's self cos let's face it they don't get enough from the collection plate anymore, they are a business like any other whether you like it or not!

**********Sam**********
Message 16 of 37
See Most Recent

York

I love York, I went by rail so know nothing of parking charges.  The girls have listed all the attractions, but try a river cruise on the Ouse, I went in the evening, the boat all lit up and a couple of glasses of white wine from the bar.  Lovely.  They also did trips that catered for lunch and dinner.

And, as Maggie says, Betty's, got to go to Betty's - it's delicious and there are goodies to buy.  I can't remember but I think I had to book because it is always so busy?  Have a great time x.

Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Strange days indeed, strange days indeed,
Most peculiar Mamma.....................................
Message 17 of 37
See Most Recent

York

Oooh that sounds lovely I'm gonna try that next time& yes I had to book to go to Betty's but well worth it & it's nice to treat yourself once in a while just for the experience .

**********Sam**********
Message 18 of 37
See Most Recent

York

A friend & I splashed out & had tea & cake there.....we shared the cake! lol It is an experience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 19 of 37
See Most Recent

York

It sounds lovely, my husband is always talking about York, trouble is like Chips it is such a loooooong way to drive from here, maybe one day we will take the train and go and visit. Bettys looks fab, maybe as a BIG treat,.   It is a bit like going to Rick Steins fish and chip shop compared to an ordinary chip shop, paying for the name.

Message 20 of 37
See Most Recent