Slow Cooker

mouse4702
Conversationalist

Got a lamb stew bubbling away in the ol' slowie.  I love mine - do you use yours much?  Any tips?

Message 1 of 26
See Most Recent
25 REPLIES 25

Slow Cooker

We don't normally use ours in summer but when use it in winter we normally do a casserole which is delicious.  My mum normally cooks that.

Message 2 of 26
See Most Recent

Slow Cooker

I could never get on with mine so I gave it away. I know lots of people swear by them though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 26
See Most Recent

Slow Cooker

I love my slow cooker ...at the moment I have a gammon joint cooking in there...we shall be having it later with a salad ...
Message 4 of 26
See Most Recent

Slow Cooker

I don't often use mine; when I do its to do a stew or a gammon joint. One thing I am using more now is my pressure cooker, makes new potatoes taste a lot better and they are cooked in minutes.

Message 5 of 26
See Most Recent

Slow Cooker

I have a slow cooker sitting on my worktop in my kitchen ,,but its big too big to make a meal for one. Im not really a big lover of stews but i suppose i could cook and save some. I should use it really. mmmmm lamb does sound nice though.heart

Message 6 of 26
See Most Recent

Slow Cooker

Rose, there's only one of me so I make a load and freeze the rest.  Actually I try to make enough for one but inevitably it's enough for a regiment.  I've also got a tiny one-person slowie but the big one get most use as I tend to buy lots of veg from the reduced section of the supermarket.  Ker-ching.  The lamb was half price btw, can't justify buying that at full price

Message 7 of 26
See Most Recent

Slow Cooker

I love mine and use it for casseroles, chilli, bolognaise, gammon and even the odd leg of lamb or beef joint

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 8 of 26
See Most Recent

Slow Cooker

Oooh, never tried bolognese.  Did chilli in it, was quite good. 

Message 9 of 26
See Most Recent

Slow Cooker

Yep, i have 3! large, medium and small... use them at least twice a week!

Am in a couple of FB groups, where recipes and tips abound! lol

Message 10 of 26
See Most Recent

Slow Cooker

Oh! Can you invite me please?

Message 11 of 26
See Most Recent

Slow Cooker

it makes a mean rice pudding too...takes about 3hrs, last one I made though, I put too much rice in .... you could have eaten it by the slicelaffin.gif

Photobucket

Message 12 of 26
See Most Recent

Slow Cooker

Oooooo hadn't thought of rice pudd in there, must make note to try thaT thanks CB

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 13 of 26
See Most Recent

Slow Cooker

I used to use one before I had the Aga.  One friend still talks about the joint of  beef I did in it, and that was about 8 or 10 years ago!!

Now I use the equivalent oven in the Aga, I always slow cook meat, stews, rice pud etc.

Message 14 of 26
See Most Recent

Slow Cooker

I used half milk and then a small can of evaporated milk to make up the pint, and it was lovely.

I've bought a can of coconut milk thinking I could use that but it will just be the juice, the clear water won't it?

Photobucket

Message 15 of 26
See Most Recent

Slow Cooker

I've got several portions of braising steak, onions, mushrooms, carrots & celery in mine at the moment, once cooked it will be portioned up & frozen
Photobucket
Message 16 of 26
See Most Recent

Slow Cooker

I have two slow cookers, a one litre and a three litre and use the small one for single meals with the other for cooking meals partly for freezing.

Slow cooked venison and mushroom casserole, yummy!

Slow Cooker

This is really weird as I was thinking about getting one earlier this evening and thought about asking on here if they're any good for one person.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 18 of 26
See Most Recent

Slow Cooker

Yep, you can get a one-person one for a tenner from W***o.  That will make enough for 3 meals if you put enough in.  Marvellous for using up leftovers and cheap cuts of meat.

Message 19 of 26
See Most Recent

Slow Cooker

yep, I have a small 1.5 litre one, which is perfect for one or two people.. then a mid size one, then a large one lol! you can also get divided ones!
you can cook bread in them, cookies, all sorts! not just stews and currys!
Message 20 of 26
See Most Recent