Sleeping pills

Recently finished a 14 day course of sleeping pills; the GP wouldn't prescribe them for longer as he said they were addictive. Now I am back to sleepless nights again. Felt so much better on the pills having slept better, mood was better, stomach was better. Now trying Valerian herbal tea at night, but it isn't  helping. Anyone got any ideas for a decent night's sleep please? Due to my Crohn's I have to be careful what I take, so that my stomach doesn't get upset. I've tried Nightol (don't know how you spell it) but it gave me headache. Thanks.

Message 1 of 60
See Most Recent
59 REPLIES 59

Sleeping pills

I find camomile tea relaxing but it isn't exactly a "sleeping pill" - can't your gp give you something non habit forming?

Message 2 of 60
See Most Recent

Sleeping pills

Because of the time I get up in the morning I don't get much sleep probably about 4 hours, 3 nights a week, with worrying I might oversleep I tend to wake every half an hour or so,  so by the time my days off come I have no problem sleeping.

I don't take pills, on my days off, I have a nice warm shower and the old favourite hot chocolate, so fortunately for me because of the lack of sleep on 3 nights I sleep like a log on the other four.

When I was having the hot flushes I didn't sleep very well at all, but found if I went and had a shower (or bath) it helped me to relax.

Sorry not much help, but I know it must be awful, the more you can't sleep the more you worry and the more you worry the more you can't sleep.

There are a few people on here that might be able to suggest some natural remedies that might help.

Message 3 of 60
See Most Recent

Sleeping pills

can you eat lettuce carol?

thats a sleep inducing food,  a lettuce sandwich for supper

lavender is also suggested,  i hsve a body wash  that i wash my hands with just before bed if im feeling stressed, and as i have my hand tucked under my chin  i find it gives off a faint whiff  for a while

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 4 of 60
See Most Recent

Sleeping pills

I've tried a lettuce sandwich in the past near bedtime and that had no effect at all; will give it another go tonight though. I have some Lavender oil but unfortunately I can't stand the smell of it. Thankk you for the suggestions.

Message 5 of 60
See Most Recent

Sleeping pills

too  much lavender  can be  bad if you arent keen ,  try a tiny  dot on a hanky  near the bed

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 6 of 60
See Most Recent

Sleeping pills

The lettuce needs to be a leaf type, not Iceberg. I would check but have you tried Kalms. Check with your doctor first to make sure it doesn't upset your Chrones problem.

Life is too short so enjoy it while you can!
Message 7 of 60
See Most Recent

Sleeping pills

I have heard a hops pillow can help you sleep too. It is like a lavendar bag, but filled with hops and you put it in your pillow or near your bed.

Message 8 of 60
See Most Recent

Sleeping pills

Not tried Kalms. Thanks, Pat, will look into it.  Got a round lettuce in the fridge, never buy Iceberg as I can't digest it.

Message 9 of 60
See Most Recent

Sleeping pills

Not sure the round has enough of the stuff. I know the leaf variety has the stuff in it that helps with sleep. Sort of like the red leaf variety lollo Rosso or in the US we call it Black Seeded Simpson.

Message 10 of 60
See Most Recent

Sleeping pills

I am in the same boat as you Carol, although I have been an insomniac all my life. Like you the GP only supplied sleepers for a short time, he then gave me a low dose 10mg Amytriptalene 1 tablet to be taken approx half hour before bed. It did the trick, I was sleeping more and my mood was better but I felt  groggy in the morning  so I stopped it, shame really because it worked for the sleeping problem. I will be watching this thread with interest.

Message 11 of 60
See Most Recent

Sleeping pills

I can recommend Asphalia tablets (Google for info)

I used to take low dose Melatonin tablets which give you a wonderful full nights sleep without bad dreams (like valerian does) but I wanted to take a natural product, and I found Asphalia (the ingredients in the tablets are grasses, and they provide melatonin in a non man/made chemical form.

It's worth its weight in gold! 

You can buy it on here or direct from the manufacturers, but its cheapest in the big river place 😉

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All you need is love (and chocolate)
Message 12 of 60
See Most Recent

Sleeping pills

Another suggestion to see if it helps is a banana if you can manage it.  If so, try it with a digestive biscuit.  Another thing is, if you like turkey, try a turkey sandwich using wholemeal bread.  

Message 13 of 60
See Most Recent

Sleeping pills

Another one I use to help me sleep is Badger Sleep Balm - it's very 'spreadable' so a little goes a long way.  I rub it on my temples and other pressure points where it feels good.

It doesn't have a strong perfume at all, very mild.

Then - what about looking at accupressure points?

http://www.herbalshop.com/Acupressure/Acupressure_07.html

You can get bands and other items to help apply the right amount of pressure.

If you're not experiencing constant pain which is likely to keep you awake or wake you up after an hour or two, then try a bit of meditation when you're in bed and comfey.

All of these should not upset your Crohn's at all so you won't have to worry about that.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 14 of 60
See Most Recent

Sleeping pills

I have hideous problems with sleeping - but find sleeping tablets give me a hangover to the extent it can be difficult functioning at work the next day - so I have some other suggestions that might help you 🙂

• You could try valerian with passiflora - that's available as a tea, and that can be calming and soothing and might work for you.  I think they are also available in tablet form, though I don't know the dosage - as are hops, if you don't fancy the idea of a hop pillow (or as well as). I seem to remember, though, that a) valerian is a long-term remedy, so you may need to give it a good old chance and b) that for some people, it actually works as a stimulant, so you may need to take it earlier in the day.
  • If you can cope with lactose, try a warm milky drink half an hour before bed (or longer, if you're like me and tend to need to wee in the night if you have liquid to close to bedtime - that may have been too much information!) - and even better if you can add a spoon of honey, as the sugars in that help act as a sedative.
  • If you can't bear Lavender, you could also try chamomile essential oil, as that's very calming: or Tisserand do a sleep mix that's in a roll on  - it's about £4, and from Boots - and isn't too lavendery.  If you could cope with lavender in a bath or shower preparation, you could try that before bed.
  • Some people swear by magnesium and/or calcium supplements
  • Bach rescue remedy do a night-time specific treatment

Some years ago now, I was referred to a sleep clinic, where they were very keen on "sleep hygiene"...

• Don't watch tv, use your mobile or computer for at least an hour before trying to go to sleep, and *definitely* don't have any of them in your bedroom: the light from the screen does something that stimulates you, and stops you sleeping.  Plus, your brain will be stimulated by the moving pictures/flickering screen etc (it happens so fast we can't see it, but think about when you see a live computer screen on eg the news, and it's flashing all the time) and won't be ready to rest.
  • If there's something particular that's bothering you - intrusive thoughts - write it down and put it to one side.
  • Don't do anything in your bedroom except have sex or sleep: if you've tried to go to sleep, and been lying there for - say - half an hour (without obsessively checking your alarm clock etc) get out of bed, go to the sitting room, sit down quietly and try to read or listen to the radio.  Once you start feeling sleepy, go back up to bed and try again.  Repeat all night if necessary.  It helps re-educate your brain that bed is where you go to sleep, apparently.
  • No booze or caffeine after lunchtime.
  • Don't sleep in - even if you didn't get to sleep until 6.30, you still need to get out of bed at 7 - even at weekends.  And definitely don't take any naps - even if you're so tired you want to throw up.

I can't tolerate milk, but I have had some success with herbal teas, lavender oil (which I loathe, but tolerate for the sake of sometimes getting to sleep!) and Tisserand.  There are a variety of different balms and rubs available, so it may be a bit of trial an error for you.  I now have *excellent* sleep hygiene, but I have also realised that by and large, I'll have five or six (or more of I'm on the road) absolutely dreadful nights, then one where I'll get about seven hours, and then it starts again.

And it might be worth asking your doctor to refer you to a sleep clinic- if you're the type of insomniac who wakes up in the night, and then can't get back, there may be a physiological (is that the word I mean?) reason for it - like stopping breathing for a second or something.  If it's a newer problem, and you're sort of aware what might be casuing it (like you're worried about something) it's worth asking for help through counselling to see if that can either solve the issue, or help you put it aside long enough to rest.  And apparently, CBT can also be useful for some types of insomnia too.  Definitely start pushing your GP for a solution, though, if you can't find a natural or OTC remedy to help: sleeping tablets can be horribly addictive, unfortunately, and don't always address the underlying issues for the insomnia, which is why they restrict their use so much - but there may be other things they can try for you.

It can be a sod (is that a bleep word?!) - especially when you get too exhausted to sleep, and are lying there racked and wretched: you have my best thoughts that you'll find something that helps you.

Message 15 of 60
See Most Recent

Sleeping pills

Many thanks for the info, Hefzi; lot's of ideas to try there. also to everyone else with their suggestions. Please keep the suggestions coming, as there seem to be a few of us on here with the same problem, and what works for one, won't work for another. Incidentally, another lousy night last night! I never have a lie-in though, tempting as it is. Got to get up to feed the pets anyway. I've been a bad sleeper for as long as I can remember but since going into the menopause, it's been worse, some of it caused by the night sweats, although they aren't as bad lately so maybe those symptoms are easing off a bit now.

Message 16 of 60
See Most Recent

Sleeping pills

@carolyorkie2010 wrote:

Many thanks for the info, Hefzi; lot's of ideas to try there. also to everyone else with their suggestions. Please keep the suggestions coming, as there seem to be a few of us on here with the same problem, and what works for one, won't work for another. Incidentally, another lousy night last night! I never have a lie-in though, tempting as it is. Got to get up to feed the pets anyway. I've been a bad sleeper for as long as I can remember but since going into the menopause, it's been worse, some of it caused by the night sweats, although they aren't as bad lately so maybe those symptoms are easing off a bit now.

Honestly, you don't need to look any further - 100% natural and it works 🙂

https://www.revital.co.uk/-Asphalia_Greensward

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All you need is love (and chocolate)
Message 17 of 60
See Most Recent

Sleeping pills

I was going to say a Banana they say is good if you want natural.

Doctor has put me on Amitriptyline same as Calibra above. Im up to 30mg a night and its giving me a good nights sleep plus helping my Migraines which is what it is prescribed for (me i mean). But i think they can be addictive.

A milky drink maybe carol.

Message 18 of 60
See Most Recent

Sleeping pills

I can't have milky cos of the Crohns, Rose. I've tried Ovaltine and Horlicks where you just add water, but a waste of time for me. Hot Choc is out also. Thanks anyway, please keep the sggestions coming.......The Asphalia looks worht a try. I often havee a banana at night, but obviously that doesn't help; I don't like them but I try to eat them.

Message 19 of 60
See Most Recent

Sleeping pills

Might sound a bit new age, but what about the CD's you can get, with birdsong or whale song on it, something to relax, or maybe yoga.

Message 20 of 60
See Most Recent