Sleeping pills

Recently finished a 14 day course of sleeping pills; the GP wouldn't prescribe them for longer as he said they were addictive. Now I am back to sleepless nights again. Felt so much better on the pills having slept better, mood was better, stomach was better. Now trying Valerian herbal tea at night, but it isn't  helping. Anyone got any ideas for a decent night's sleep please? Due to my Crohn's I have to be careful what I take, so that my stomach doesn't get upset. I've tried Nightol (don't know how you spell it) but it gave me headache. Thanks.

Message 1 of 60
See Most Recent
59 REPLIES 59

Re: Sleeping pills

I am going to try that wet sock thing, just have to get a pair of cotton socks, will let you know how it goes 🙂

Message 41 of 60
See Most Recent

Will be very interested to hear if it works, Calibra. Please let us know.........

Message 42 of 60
See Most Recent

I've sent for some Asphalia today, so will let you know how I get on with it. :smileyhappy:

Message 43 of 60
See Most Recent

carol i noticed  frebrese have brought out a lavender  sleepy  thing,

saw it on offer in  savers today

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 44 of 60
See Most Recent

they reckon if you go to bed and don't cover yourself up at first, then when you feel yourself getting cold, put the covers on and as you warm up you will drift off to sleep. It works for me as well as the radio.

Photobucket

Message 45 of 60
See Most Recent

MELATONIN.  You should take 12 - 15 mg about 30 mins before bed.  It's the chemical your own brain produces to induce sleep. Can't do you any harm as it's not a drug. Completely natural and available over the counter or on line.  I get mine from iherb.com as even with the shipping costs it's cheaper than buying them here.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 46 of 60
See Most Recent

Forgot to say, It can take a week to kick in for some people, so if you don't notice immediate improvement don't give up too soon.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 47 of 60
See Most Recent

Also, be very kind to yourself - you are going through a tough time

If you can, when you don't sleep well, allow yourself rest during the day XX

Message 48 of 60
See Most Recent

Yes that's a good idea, Wizi. Had a lousy night last night. The GP prescribed me 7 sleeping pills because of Steve dying but then I can't have any more, so got to make them last!  Will try the Melatonin as well.

Message 49 of 60
See Most Recent

Thanks, Towery. Unfortunately, I can't stand the smell of Lavender, no matter how faint it is. xx

Message 50 of 60
See Most Recent

I may have to consider looking into taking some kind of sleeping pills myself soon 😞
Message 51 of 60
See Most Recent

I don't believe in just 'treating the symptoms'.

You really do need to look for the cause of your restlessness...

There is a reason why you are not sleeping.

Message 52 of 60
See Most Recent

Maybe someone can advise me on more gentle methods for dealing with insomnia and chronic stress? I'm already tired of taking various empty pills, which do not help me at all. Can anyone tell me the best way to solve this problem? I feel terrible.

Message 53 of 60
See Most Recent

Giving any form of medical advice online - especially from a complete stranger - is an absolute no-no and this thread has no place on eBay.

Message 54 of 60
See Most Recent

Have to say, i`m rather shocked the doctor gave you a 14 day supply of these. i went through a bad patch of not sleeping at all and two or three times i`ve been prescribed sleeping tablets, but my doctor has never given me more than 4 or 5, because like you point out, they are so addictive.

Couple of points i would make, firstly, given the fact you were useing these for 14 days and have now stopped, your body now needs a few days to adjust not having them, i`ve always found the 2-3 days after stopping these things is often worse than before, so now, i avoid them altogether.

Another thing i`ve found over the years as well whenever i can`t sleep, is trying to force the issue because if you go to bed and lie there worrying about getting to sleep or enough of it, you`ll just make it worse, so what i would suggest, is certainly to stop fighting it. Stop thinking about it or worrying and just let it happen, trust me, when you become tired and need to sleep, your body will tell you 🙂

is there anything you do that you find really relaxing that might help, such as reading a book in bed for half an hour. In my case, i`ve found listening to relaxing music for half hour to an hour makes a diffence, so i bought a mii hi-fi i have next to my bed and either listen to playlists i have on my t.v, or i just listen to classic f.m for a bit, it`s really calming and stops you mulling things over in your head rather than just relaxing.

it`s certainly tough and horrible when you can`t sleep, but different things work for different people, you just need to find yours, but what i would try to avoid if possible, are sleeping tablets, they cause more issues than they solve!

Message 55 of 60
See Most Recent

@hanhan-4388 wrote:

Maybe someone can advise me on more gentle methods for dealing with insomnia and chronic stress? I'm already tired of taking various empty pills, which do not help me at all. Can anyone tell me the best way to solve this problem? I feel terrible.

Can deal with the cause - and can deal with the symptoms you are experiencing.

Sometimes dealing with the cause can be drastic - have left one job over stress. Or can be minor changes needed only.

I find meditation helpful for stress. Plus sometimes telling people 'no' when they want to add to my stress.

Ultimately the best person to advise you is someone that you can talk to, someone you can spend more than a few minutes going over things with (hint, not a GP though they may be able to refer you).

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass.
Dogen
Message 56 of 60
See Most Recent

@*knight-rider* wrote:

Have to say, i`m rather shocked the doctor gave you a 14 day supply of these. i went through a bad patch of not sleeping at all and two or three times i`ve been prescribed sleeping tablets, but my doctor has never given me more than 4 or 5, because like you point out, they are so addictive.

Couple of points i would make, firstly, given the fact you were useing these for 14 days and have now stopped, your body now needs a few days to adjust not having them, i`ve always found the 2-3 days after stopping these things is often worse than before, so now, i avoid them altogether.

Another thing i`ve found over the years as well whenever i can`t sleep, is trying to force the issue because if you go to bed and lie there worrying about getting to sleep or enough of it, you`ll just make it worse, so what i would suggest, is certainly to stop fighting it. Stop thinking about it or worrying and just let it happen, trust me, when you become tired and need to sleep, your body will tell you 🙂

is there anything you do that you find really relaxing that might help, such as reading a book in bed for half an hour. In my case, i`ve found listening to relaxing music for half hour to an hour makes a diffence, so i bought a mii hi-fi i have next to my bed and either listen to playlists i have on my t.v, or i just listen to classic f.m for a bit, it`s really calming and stops you mulling things over in your head rather than just relaxing.

it`s certainly tough and horrible when you can`t sleep, but different things work for different people, you just need to find yours, but what i would try to avoid if possible, are sleeping tablets, they cause more issues than they solve!

Similar experience to you, GP very reluctant to give any sleeping tablets and gave just a few and told me that was my lot. My one and only experience of sleeping tablets. 

Had one, binned the rest. Not worth the problems that caused.

Forced me to look at non chemical methods. 

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass.
Dogen
Message 57 of 60
See Most Recent

In the past i have had sleep counselling following a traumatic life event.

All i will add is........

Rule 1 is remove any clock from your bedroom and put your phone out of reach so you cannot see the time.    IF you keep waking up and keep looking at the time then this just fuels your anxiety about not sleeping.   

Message 58 of 60
See Most Recent

Passion flower can be better than valerian, doesn't leave one groggy like valerian does, I have found it useful at times. Also, a good deal of strenuous exercise can help, if your body is properly physically tired, it's harder for the mind to stay awake!

Message 59 of 60
See Most Recent

For me mint and camomile is the best

Message 60 of 60
See Most Recent