Sheep

Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me what breed of sheep the one on the left is please? And the other two if you can. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 67
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sheep

Thanks, Sam, for the info. Also to Petal for the link. I saw some Kerry Hill sheep last year, they are lovely. xx

Message 7 of 67
See Most Recent
66 REPLIES 66

Sheep

Sorry about the big picture again, my PC was playing silly beggars. I have yet to find out how to delete something I have posted.

Message 2 of 67
See Most Recent

Sheep

Blue face Leicester ?

Sam will be able to tell you Woman Happy

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 3 of 67
See Most Recent

Sheep

Sheep

MULE! Bred from a Swaledale ewe& a Blue Faced Leicester Ram.

**********Sam**********
Message 5 of 67
See Most Recent

Sheep

Both sheep at the front of pic are mules, because they are a made up breed they can be quite a few variations, the one at the back is most probably a sheep born from the mule depending on what Ram was used for the second crossing!

**********Sam**********
Message 6 of 67
See Most Recent

Sheep

Thanks, Sam, for the info. Also to Petal for the link. I saw some Kerry Hill sheep last year, they are lovely. xx

Message 7 of 67
See Most Recent

Sheep

My pleasure ! Yes Kerry are nice we run a few in our flock, but they are naughty little Beggers! lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 8 of 67
See Most Recent

Sheep

I tried to get a photo of the Kerry's but they ran off just as I got my camera out! LOL Will you be posting any cute lamb pics for us to enjoy, Sam?

Message 9 of 67
See Most Recent

Sheep

We have only just started lambing we don't really get going full pelt till March . But I will get a pic of a Kerry for you when they come in the sheds in the meantime I have some from last year of lambing to keep ya going. lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 10 of 67
See Most Recent

Sheep

**********Sam**********
Message 11 of 67
See Most Recent

Sheep

Aww, that's lovely, Sam.Thank you Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 67
See Most Recent

Sheep

No problem Glad you liked it. Sam.

**********Sam**********
Message 13 of 67
See Most Recent

Sheep

Nice wool sam, do you sell it for weaving?

Message 14 of 67
See Most Recent

Sheep

Hi ihasa, we breed mainly for meat, but as we also run a few Jacobs we are often asked for the fleeces by the local spinning club , the only sheep we run that would be used for weaving are the Beatrix Potter sheep ," Herdwicks" which I believe were used for making carpets. In the early days the fleece price used to pay for the winter feed but now it is just an animal welfare shearing.we also breed Easycare sheep which shed their fleeces naturally. Pic of Herdwicks.

**********Sam**********
Message 15 of 67
See Most Recent

Sheep

Lovely pic of the herdwicks sam.

I'm surprised there's not more call for the longer fleeces as their seems to be a 'wool' revival especially with the Scottish Harris Tweed and similar others.

I've just ordered some wool fabric from this place in Wales. They still use some of the original weaving machines. It's a wonderful place which I visited a few years ago and have been hooked on ever since!

http://www.melintregwynt.co.uk/upholstery-fabrics/

Message 16 of 67
See Most Recent

Sheep

Yes it is interesting, the ladies in the spinning club are also very interesting & also very knowledgeable . It's a lovely hobby & you get something nice at the end of it. One lady made me some mittens & socks, but I hadn't got the heart to tell her I stink enough of sheep & the smell makes me feel sick! lol. We had a bit of an open day one year whilst the shearing was on & they were fascinated by it!

**********Sam**********
Message 17 of 67
See Most Recent

Sheep

There is a spinning group at the craft place I go to & they spin some beautiful yarns.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 18 of 67
See Most Recent

Sheep

Yes they make some lovely things& are very dedicated to it! I'm in awe of them& they are so friendly.

**********Sam**********
Message 19 of 67
See Most Recent

Sheep

Sheep now girls,,. Ahaaaaaa they are lovely especially the lambs as i mentioned before. They have quite lovely faces.

Woman Happy

Message 20 of 67
See Most Recent