Is everyone's Home looking wonderful??? Or ....

I'm convinced they probably are, but try as I might I never seem to have everywhere uncluttered, tidy and clean.  I would love to walk into any room, and see it looking like other people's homes.

There seems to be so many jobs, but never looks streamlined and "cosy welcoming", just OK!

Feeling a little down-in-the-dumps, as cannot understand how other people achieve a WOW, tidy, pretty neat and lovely look, whereas mine is Whoops, are you in middle of moving, and is this the Kitchen or Living Room??!!!

Is there anyone who is sadly somewhat shabby?

amethyst  (hanging my head)

Message 1 of 31
See Most Recent
30 REPLIES 30

mine is shabby, untidy and usually covered in dogs hair and muddy footprints - but it is a HOME not a show house!

Message 2 of 31
See Most Recent

I also have a home, not a showhouse !

My brother once paid me the biggest compliment in my eyes...

he said, coming to my house, was like coming into your favourite  ' snug bar '

That'll do for me Woman Happy

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 3 of 31
See Most Recent

amathyst my home is just like yours but is my home and i love it.i also suffer with ME so i do what i can if anyone who visits does not like it i show them where the hoover etc is stored.

merry christmas

smiley-chores003.gifthis is one job i hate and do the bare minimum.4_1_3v.gif

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 4 of 31
See Most Recent

i like that merc.that would suit me too.

the only one who does come to stay and does my house work is my step D I Law but she is very ocd so she says do you mind .i say carry on.2.gif

.................................................................................................................
Message 5 of 31
See Most Recent

I always tell visitors that my house is also my pets home! I have always found that people with immaculate houses tend to not have pets. It wouldn't do for me I prefer to see dog toys and baskets around the room.
Message 6 of 31
See Most Recent

do you mean does it look like a page of Better Homes Magazine?

no, not by a long way

are we happy?

yes

we have a lounge thats never used

so we use it for christmas and everything is in there, undisturbed

but it STILL doesnt look like a Disney film 

Message 7 of 31
See Most Recent

We never use our living room either.  The tree is in there but I still take visitors into the kitchen to sit round the table.  I have some lights on a plant in the kitchen, does that count as looking wonderful?  Woman Very Happy

Message 8 of 31
See Most Recent

Our house is tidy but cosy and lived in.  My Goddaughter always makes herself at home here as does her daughter.  We also have a friend like that as well.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

Message 9 of 31
See Most Recent

I really feel very grateful to you all for responding, and helping me not feel such an awful failure!!  (I was initially concerned that the Message would not be taken too seriously, but it was important to me, and I did (was) feeling that everyone else was living in a Winter-Wonderland, and myself in a Grotto (along with our Pets).

Thank you so much, I am relieved that I had the courage to write this.

Amethyst

PS.  Happy Christmas 

Message 10 of 31
See Most Recent

ames please do not be down in the dumps because a house is not a home until it is a bit cluttered, untidy with a bit of dust here and there ! 

I tell visitors my house is like me with that long lived look to it.

What makes a home is not being uncluttered, tidy and clean ! What makes a home is the love within, the happy memories and most of all the welcome visitors get when they arrive to make them feel wanted and comfortable.

Message 11 of 31
See Most Recent

I always try to keep the flat tidy as I don`t like clutter but my toddler girl make sure to undue everything I do ^^ so her toys end up everywhere I think the messiest room is the living room as most of the activity happenes there also for Christmas I am not a big fan of all the flashing lights and small decorations / tinsel and such but I love my tree as I have so many ornaments in it.

The neighbours opposite to us have the same space/layout as we do I visited recently and felt claustrophobic too many bits and peaces everywhere also heating was at 25 degrees made me a bit uncomfortable.

But that is just me I also am feeling a bit nostalgic now that Christmas is so close ¬_¬

Message 12 of 31
See Most Recent

amathyst i felt like that until this thread so it is not just you this has helped but me also.

i have had my 3 small grandchildren down this last 4 days age (9 7 6 ) and the most fun they had was they got my three different sized feather dusters down and went round the house dusting.they thought it was great fun

Message 13 of 31
See Most Recent

Thank you, and thank you again.  I do appreciate what you are saying.  I think it may be the public image of how we should be looking and achieving, and feeling as though I am trying to grasp that 'measuring stick'!

So whether the Wow factor, or simply Warm Comfort Farm, I take and understand your lovely comments that the love within is more important.

amethyst

x x x

Message 14 of 31
See Most Recent

Amethyst, don't despair!  Our house is likened to a pigsty most of the time,

but we live in it, do stuff, have our cats (can't imagine not having them).

Our furniture etc isn't new, it's shabby and used and sat on/eaten at/has

crafts done on it etc.  There's usually something in somebody's way and

stuff not put where it belongs (wherever that is LOL!).

Message 15 of 31
See Most Recent

I have been trying to tidy my house for the last 3 days, it hasn't worked, I get one room done and that makes the next one untidy, so in the end you have 3 rooms tidy and one an absolute dump.

As fast as I put the dogs toys away the pesky one takes them out, good game.

Hubbys many pairs of boots are lined up in the utility (sounds grand it's just a lobby area inside the backdoor.) You can hardly get in the backdoor for damp coats, the floor is covered in dogs hairs and muddy pawprints, The kitchen table is covered in Christmas food that I can't find a home for. every radiator has clothes drying on it, the spare bedroom is full of christmas presents, spare chairs and anything that I have taken out of the lounge to make more room.

The only room that is tidy is the lounge.

Do I care nope (maybe a little) - We are real people not rich and famous to have people do things for us and our homes are exactly that homes, not magazine sets.

Message 16 of 31
See Most Recent

Kids of whatever age can make a house look untidy but at least a house with kids is a happy house.  I love kids of any age.

Message 17 of 31
See Most Recent

For me uncluttered and tidy does not equate to cosy.  Cosy is individuality and character.  Not everyone can achieve that.  I once knew a very boring couple with a spotless house.  It looked immaculate and from that perspective only, I envied it but it had no soul.  In the end I stopped envying it because you could never feel relaxed there.  

When people visit you - they come to see you and not your house.  At this time of year there is always extra stuff around the house from decorations to extra people!!  There is only so much you can and should do!  If the balance tips from feeling good/ok to becoming stressed then you have to give yourself a good talking to!!  If you cannot enjoy yourself on these few days a year - when can you?  If its other peoples stuff that is contributing to your stress - or they are causing clutter then put your foot down and ask that they deal with it.  Don't take it all on yourself.  

The thing that makes a home is its atmosphere, its vibe, its heart.  The majority of this comes from the people within.  That said all occupants should be respectful that others share this space both family and visitors.

What I've done before is shove everything that needs putting away but I dont have time to do into a black bin bag and then shoving it into a cupboard!!  Deal with it in a few days when you feel less pressure.  A good tip if you feel you have to clean is set a 15 minute timer for each room and do what you can in that time.  You will be amazed what you can do in a short time and its much more enjoyable cleaning in short spurts.  

Then put some low lights on, light some candles, put some nice chilled music on, enjoy your home and relax!!!  

Message 18 of 31
See Most Recent

I have 2 Huskys who shed hair EVERY day I try to keep on top of it but its impossible. My 2nd living room is like a minefield atm with presents etc cluttering it up.My spare bedroom is full of my daughters clothes she needs to sort out. I wont mention my utility room full of ironing I will do after Christmas. Do I care...nooo not right now I will do it in m own time. Dont worry Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 31
See Most Recent

With 2 kids, 4 cats, a mental dog, an OH  who has broken his foot so badly it will never mend properly and running a business from home - the house never looks wonderful. We are also in the middle of renivating the place so have no hope of getting it to a 'wonderful state' for several years 

But it is home 

Message 20 of 31
See Most Recent