Help with Ipad

Please be gentle with me, I know virtually nothing about the Ipad and how it works, and I am perfectly happy for things to stay that way. Please bear in mind that I need instructions for absolute idiots as I will probably have to relate them to "himself".

Sometimes, when I start a facetime session, somehow the camera manages to lock itself on the wrong orientation so my daughter appears sideways, and I appear sideways to her. Have tried turning the pad, shaking it gently, but the only thing that seems to work is to totally turn the Ipad off and start again.

If anyone can enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong and / or can tell me how to correct the problem without having to shut the thing down it would be much appreciated.

I have some documents, in word format stored in a dropbox account. Is there any way that I can read these documents on the Ipad? I can access the dropbox account on the ipad, that isn't a problem, I just use the Safari web browser and log in to the dropbox account. Do I need to purchase an "app",and if so which one?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 1 of 15
See Most Recent
14 REPLIES 14

Help with Ipad

Sorry stroppy you lost me at please be gentle with me. Smiley LOL

Message 2 of 15
See Most Recent

Help with Ipad

She lost me at 'facetime'  ????Woman Surprised

Message 3 of 15
See Most Recent

Help with Ipad

Not much help from us, I don't have Ipad only normal lappy, and even then I have to ask hubby how to do most things, just getting to grips with copy and paste.  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 15
See Most Recent

Help with Ipad

I'm an old hat at copy and paste but I just got windows eight!  It's like starting all over again.Smiley Sad

I've got an iPad but I don't use it much.  I like it for photos though. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 15
See Most Recent

Help with Ipad

I am a wizz at the one we use at work, thats a whole different system altogether.

Message 6 of 15
See Most Recent

Help with Ipad

******************According to my son on the settings you can lock the orientation to what you want - double click the home button sliding right, square box on left which has a clockwise arrow with a padlock inside click on it and it says portrait orientation locked and it should be fine.  - Clear as mud need any more info I will ask him***********************

Message 7 of 15
See Most Recent

Help with Ipad

GEEK ALERT!

Re the Facetime orientation, I sometimes get that problem as well but find that turning the thing through 90 degrees and back - slowly - usually corrects it

Also, I find it much easier to use when your communicant gives you the right email address to contact them by...

What I can't get my head round is the fact that emails will not orient themselves to anything other than with the button thingy to the left - if I turn it round in the carry case/stand it's all upside-down

Sorry I can't help you with Dropbox, my geekiness doesn't extend that far

Message 8 of 15
See Most Recent

Help with Ipad

Aww stroppy. I have trouble with facetime. It never seems to work. 

But I do know how to lock/unlock the orientation thing. But can't really explain it.

I know, I'm as useful as a chocolate teapot!

PS I had my pad for a year before I knew how to bookmark pages!

Message 9 of 15
See Most Recent

Help with Ipad

is there a chance its an ipad power saving setting kicking in and not just a facetime thing?

i'll have a google andsee what a friend says but he uses his iphone

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 10 of 15
See Most Recent

Help with Ipad

Sorry I can't be of any help but I would like to know the difference between an Ipad and an Ipod.

Message 11 of 15
See Most Recent

Help with Ipad

and ipad is a flat tablet computer from apple, comes in different sizes and memory

an ipod is a music device from apple

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 12 of 15
See Most Recent

Help with Ipad

Thank you Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 15
See Most Recent

Help with Ipad

Thank you folks - I will have a play with the settings when I am back home and have the Ipad handy.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 14 of 15
See Most Recent

Help with Ipad

I think this is what you need to do -

Go to settings and halfway down you'll see the bit on my pic where it says "use side switch to" and the choice is lock rotation / mute

Make sure the mute is ticked.

There is a little button slider on the side near the volume - you can then mute using the little slider when required. If you have chosen the other option in settings, you will instead lock the orientation of the screen when you move the slider switch

Hope this sorts it xx
Message 15 of 15
See Most Recent