GP Appt's

Wanted to see my Doctor this morning, so went through the usual rigmarole of "phoning at 8a.m." Usual case, by the time I got through, after repeated attempts and listening to the engaged tone, he was booked up. I now have to start again at 12-30. I hate this system. Who else remembers the good old days where you just went to the surgery and sat and waited your turn, sat on a hard, wooden bench?

Message 1 of 34
See Most Recent
33 REPLIES 33

GP Appt's

Yes ...those were the days ...

You cannot even book an appointment with our doctor . You have to phone up and relay your symtoms to some random receptionist over the phone . The doctor will then phone you back later in the day and if he thinks it is necessary after having spoken to you you are then given an appointment.

I called into the doctors surgery a few months ago to request an appointment and was told it was not possible , doctor would need my phone number to ring me . As I was in town shopping this was not possible ...had to wait until I got home and phone in .

Not sure how this sysyem works with those patients who have hearing problems and cannot cope with phones ( my mum has two hearing aids and cannot hear anything on the phone ) .
Message 2 of 34
See Most Recent

GP Appt's

"You have to phone up and relay your symtoms to some random receptionist over the phone"

I never like that arrangement.

Doctors are governed by doctor/patient confidentiality,  but are the receptionists?

Photobucket
Message 3 of 34
See Most Recent

GP Appt's

Yep its the same at mine Carol,,we have to ring on the day or thats what we are told. I can book online now so at least i dont have to listen to dreadful music and indications to press 1 or 2 if you want this or that. That really makes me stressed!!. It can make you iller than you are already!!.

Woman Mad

Message 4 of 34
See Most Recent

GP Appt's

think this is the system across most of the country now. we have to ring after 8.30 but can go and queue up rather that phone if we want to - 6 mile journey just to queue and be told "sorry, no appointments left". As they deal with the queue before the phone appointments there is no chance of ringing in for one, crazy. Feeling pretty p..... off one day I agreed to a "phone consultation" and when the gp rang and asked what he could do for me I just said "could you look at this please" - there was a stunned silence on the other end! Just before Christmas I was forced to tell the receptionist my symptoms and was then prescribed meds without even speaking to a doctor!!! unfortunately I had a horrific reaction to the pills prescribed, stopped taking them immediately and had to wait until 12th Jan. to get any help.

Message 5 of 34
See Most Recent

GP Appt's

Well, I rang back at 12-30 and have only just got through, kept using re-dial. Of course, no appts left with anyone, I can't pre-book for 3 weeks and there are no online appt's available to book for 3 weeks either! Start all over again at 8a.m. tomorrow. What a poor carry on.

Message 6 of 34
See Most Recent

GP Appt's

Hope you dont have to wait too long Carol,,,oohhhh dear!!.Woman Frustrated

Message 7 of 34
See Most Recent

GP Appt's

Our GP's surgery isn't too bad.  If we ring at 8.30, we can get in to see him that morning.  This must be the exception rather than the norm.

Hope that you manage to get an appointment soon Carol.

Message 8 of 34
See Most Recent

GP Appt's

Ours you have to ring at 8 for an appointment that day.  If there isn't one and it's urgent then you will be seen anyway.  Use ring back and it's just a case of carrying the phone around for an hour.  Hate the system because it's a faff if it isn't urgent.  On the other hand love the phone appointments, flexible and keep you out of the den of germs.

Message 9 of 34
See Most Recent

GP Appt's

I'm sooooo old, I remember our GP delivering all us kids in the house...

coming out to the house at any time, day or night...and...

his father did it -  before him Woman Surprised

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 10 of 34
See Most Recent

GP Appt's

Our previous GP used to be like that or rather, his father was.  The son was a lot on the useless side hence the fact, we changed GP's nearly four years ago.  If we hadn't, my mum wouldn't be here now.

Message 11 of 34
See Most Recent

GP Appt's

I've got a friend who rang the doctor this morning for an appointment.  She was told the doctor was out doing her rounds in friend's area so she'd pop in.  Friend had a diagnosis and was taking anti bs by lunchtime. 

We used to have the 'doctor phone back' system but it didn't last very long.  We now ring for an appointment and if you don't mind which of the doctors you see, you'll get one within the week.  If it's urgent they'll fit you in that day. Woman Happy

Message 12 of 34
See Most Recent

GP Appt's

Ours won't let us use ring back, they said it clogs up the lines, and they give people a right telling off. See what tomorrow bringsSmiley Happy

Message 13 of 34
See Most Recent

GP Appt's

We are lucky with the receptionists at our GP's because they are brilliant.  Some though leave a lot to be desired.

Message 14 of 34
See Most Recent

GP Appt's

Have never had any problems with our surgery, but I don't go very often. You can either see the sister or another doctor if yours isn't available. I don't mind if I am poorly who I see.

Message 15 of 34
See Most Recent

GP Appt's

We have two doctors at our practice, a man and a woman.  We always plump for the man as the lady doctor's hopeless.

Message 16 of 34
See Most Recent

GP Appt's

We've got about eight or ten doctors at ours, two nurse practitioners, at least four health care assistants and someone else once who did my medication review.  I don't know what she was, but when I asked her  if I could have a flu and a pneumonia jab, she looked down her nose and said 'I don't do that!!' as if I'd asked her to wipe my backside!!  Woman Surprised

Message 17 of 34
See Most Recent

GP Appt's

I got lucky!! Kept checking online, anyway gave it one last try tonight and there were 2 cancellations for tomorrow and one of them was for my Doctor!! So I don't have to start phoning at 8a.m. now. Really pleased. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 34
See Most Recent

GP Appt's

Well done Carol.  I'm pleased for you.

Message 19 of 34
See Most Recent

GP Appt's

we have only just started this system at our doctors, but so far it seems to be working. I don't like it though the thought of having to tell the receptionist what is wrong with me...stuff that....they aren't the doctor!!!

Photobucket

Message 20 of 34
See Most Recent