Favourite and Least Favourite Supermarket?

Do you have a preferred choice and/or a less liked Supermarket.  Any reasons for the preference or dislike?

amethyst

Message 1 of 40
See Most Recent
39 REPLIES 39

lambsy_uk
Conversationalist

I wouldn't say firm favourites but I do find pros and cons with the different supermarkets. I have 2 huge Tescos and 1 huge ASDA near me and they are good for having everything under one roof, and I can shop at reasonable prices for most good plus some bargains.

Lidl and Aldi can be very good but only for a handful of items; fruit and veg being one as well as some weekly bargains.

Morrisons have a great bakery.

Sainsbury's are good for alcoholic beverages.

Waitrose are good for shopping on line and having it delivered. Can easily browse all their bargains on line and take advantage of offers being thrown at me.

My order of usage of these places would probably be as follows:

Joint 1st Tesco/ASDA

Lidl

Aldi

Sainsbury's

Waitrose/Morrisons.

Apart from a more limited choice there's nowt on the whole wrong with Morrisons; but they are further away for me.

Message 2 of 40
See Most Recent

Asda if I need a home delivery. Good selection & cheaper than Tesco. Aldi for my weekly shop. Very few items I have to go elsewhere for. I don't like their coffee so get that in Asda. I shop in Tesco occasionally as there is a store where I go to a sewing group so sometimes pop in there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 40
See Most Recent

I'm ok with Tesco except for their fruit!!

i've had deliveries recently from Ocado and Waitrose and their fruit is slightly more expensive but at least you get to eat it!!

I haven't used Sainsbury for about 12 years now but it was ok when I did.

We have a large Asda but we only go there at Christmas to get clothes and gifts perhaps.  It's a bit far to go every week but I suppose it would be ok to have it delivered.

Message 4 of 40
See Most Recent

I would have to say Tesco one because it's closest 2 because I work there and 3 because I get discount.

I quite often pop in to Lidls and get bits and bobs but they don't have the selection that other supermarkets do.

We dont have an Aldi nearest is 40 miles away. Same for Waitrose. Asda is 15 miles away as is Morrisons
I fond Sainsburys expensive for what I buy but I do like their household and clothing.
Message 5 of 40
See Most Recent

Morrisons, mainly because I can walk to it within 5mins
Asda. ^^^^^^^^^^ within 10mins
Aldi for obvious reasons!..
We do have a Tesco's , but I need the truck to get to it so haven't really been there as yet.
I get my fruit & veg off the market as there is one most days & it's only a few min walk from my place.
Because I do a lot of driving I tend to walk most places if I can.

**********Sam**********
Message 6 of 40
See Most Recent

It seems like convenience is the main factor in our choices.:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 40
See Most Recent

We only have a small Tesco and a small Co-Op unless we want to do a 30 mile journey to Asda or Lidl, and a bit longer journey to Morrisons. It used to drive me mad not having a reasonable choice of shops, but have got used to it now.  I try to use local shops for meat and fish, but vegetables are a nightmare as there are no greengrocers within 40 miles so I grow my own as much as I can. Our small local town is slowly dying, it has an abundance of small bakeries and very little else, even the farmers market which is held monthly has now deteriorated into more of a craft fair with few if any produce stalls.

Message 8 of 40
See Most Recent

I do like our BIG Morrisons but cant get there without a lift and the bus is too expensive, so i will say Sainsburys next favourite down from that. My least favourite probably Lidl,,,yes Lidl.Woman Happy

Its convenience that plays a part in my choices!!.

Message 9 of 40
See Most Recent

lambsy_uk
Conversationalist

My least favourite would be Iceland but then I've never been in Farmfoods!

Iceland seems so tacky and full of stuff for a quid that I'd hesitate to feed to a dog. Poor quality!

Message 10 of 40
See Most Recent

Our lidls looks like a luxury car showroom full of beemers audis and range rovers. So they must be doing something right.
Message 11 of 40
See Most Recent

oh you are all lucky lots of choice up here in shetland we have a tesco and a co-op both 38 miles away i use the tesco as i work there so don't need to do a seperate trip.click and collect and delivery has just started so put my order in and pick up during my break 

for the record our store takes the most money in scotland for a store ils size 22,000 captive customers lol

Message 12 of 40
See Most Recent

@ed_blackadder_1 wrote:
Our lidls looks like a luxury car showroom full of beemers audis and range rovers. So they must be doing something right.

It's the East Europeans who shop there who are doing something right!

Message 13 of 40
See Most Recent

The BIG Asda, save more than enough money to pay for the petrol Little Asda the music is too loud and the staff deliberately lied to me one Friday night(a proveable lie too.  HO don't care but I am pretty sure somebody will soon). Local Tesco is a nice place to shop but not fruit and veg as hate seeing rotten in with good and they are more expensive.  Sainsburys is way too expensive and I cannot open my eyes enough(even with sunhat and sunglasses) to comfortably see where I am going never mind what i am buying(white sparkly floor tiles, white and chrome fridges, those reflective backed lights - AAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHH).  Lidls choice may be limited but some of their stuff is excellent and the offers are good, it cost me double the grocery shop yesterday buying offers!

As to online - well Asda are the cheapest by a long way, the delivery slots suit me and the drivers are always chatty and helpful, fruit veg and fresh meat are an issue so it is buy frozen when I can and send OH out for the fruit unless i can get up the veggie stall where the quality is much the same and the prices a whole lot cheaper. In my last shop of comparable items Sainsburys were over £25.00 dearer and I only spent £60 ish - but then I was buying Asda bargains and I assume Sainsburys have bargains too.

As to Morrisons - limited goods because it is a small store, really good cafe but i can never find it!!!!!!!!!!!(one of those modern estates where the roads bend, the council paint circles, the kids twist the road signs round and all the houses look the same!)

And breathe - for one stop shopping it has to be the big Asda 'cos too many of the staff at the BIG Tesco(not my local one) are so far up their own ************** they struggle to serve you.  Last time I was in they were really complaining about the new Lidl taking their customers - hmm, the new Lidl has plenty of parking, a Range, a KFC and a Costa coffee on the same site.  For other than a large shop there is no choice(pity it is miles away!).  I prefer shops with cafes - save loads of money and hassle by parking kids and OH in one - but the big Tesco contracted it out to the same people as the big ASDA and the only drinkable items come in bottles and cans and the food is worse than the drinks and OH won't use it.

Message 14 of 40
See Most Recent

Not here lambsy very few eastern Europeans here.

Message 15 of 40
See Most Recent

We haven't got a Lidl here but the Aldi is large modern & a very good one & that also applies to the Iceland store , if the motors parked in the car park are anything to go by like the other poster says bargains are required by the wealthy just as much.
I've also found out there is also a Waitrose here as well but I haven't been to that one yet.

**********Sam**********
Message 16 of 40
See Most Recent

We rarely shop in Tesco; have heard they rip off their suppliers and bully councils to let them build, don't know how much truth there is in this or whether others are the same. We like the Co-op, service is friendly in all the stores we've visited and the prices are good. We also like Aldi and Lidl for many reasons, and don't understand snobbish attitudes to them. It isn't clever to pay through the nose for your shopping! Morrisons is further away for us, but we are very impressed with their fish and veg departments.
Message 17 of 40
See Most Recent

Much to my dismay we still tend to do most of our shopping at Sainsbury's.  The prices aren't too bad, but it's one of those places where you can't walk five yards without having those "ram it down your throat" labels leaping out at you "Buy three for the price of two."

Nothing wrong in that but a lot of the stuff - ready meals mainly, are being sold off on the cheap for a very good reason - their shelf life is limited, and so you end up gorging yourself if it's fruit  or eating a  lot more than you should to finish it  within the sell by date.  Tea cakes are a perfect example  - a pack of four for £1.30 or two for £2.00.  Women tend to think that they've saved, but in my view they havent - theyve spent £2.00 as opposed to £1.35 because unless they are prepared to eat all eight, the last couple end up being given to the birds!  If they were advertised at £1.00 per pack the chances are they'd only buy the packs one at a time. Morrrisons have an enormous sign saying fantastic savings 60% discount - yes - usually on the last day of display, especially their bakery or dairy products..

Iceland for bread - normal bread £1.35 or two for £2.00.  Also for their no-nonsence Prices - nothing is 99p - it's either £1.00, £2.00 or whatever.  We have a mega Asda on two floors, but it takes too long to walk round.  At least with our Sainsbury's we know where everything is.

I use the internet to check out the cost of provisions - I compared all the items I was going to buy and compared three lots of prices Sainsbury's, Asda, and Tescos.  It took me four hours and the wife thought I was completely mad, but I saved £11.17 on the shoppingSmiley Very Happy!!  Fred Meldrew!

Message 18 of 40
See Most Recent

Fred I only buy 2 if I need 2 or if I can freeze the other one.
Message 19 of 40
See Most Recent

Same here! & I haven't got time to spend comparing prices , if I need it I get it.

**********Sam**********
Message 20 of 40
See Most Recent