Favourite and Least Favourite Supermarket?

Do you have a preferred choice and/or a less liked Supermarket.  Any reasons for the preference or dislike?

amethyst

Message 1 of 40
See Most Recent
39 REPLIES 39

My mother has a neighbour that will dive 12 miles to Asda to save 10p on a packet of butter. She will however only buy one as that is all she needs. 24 mile round trip to buy one packet of butter to save 10p. Goodness me life is too short. It isn't that she needs the money. It is a matter of principle apparently. ...........
Message 21 of 40
See Most Recent

Smiley LOL

Message 22 of 40
See Most Recent

I do eat a lot of 'supermarket food' but I don't buy much of it at all from them. Smiley LOL  I'm about half a mile from a Lidl and usually use that for coffee, bread & milk. Their own brand coffee. 200g. £1-79, large Hovis white ( 800g ) 79p., their own brand Milbona UHT semi skimmed milk, 1 Litre, 55p. I'll drive there if I'm running out, as was the case today with coffee, but if I'm stocking up a bit I'll go by bus to their other store about two miles away on the other side of town and then bus back to the 'top town' shopping area for non-food stuff before bussing it back home. With my OAP 'council taxi' bus pass it's only costing me a little more in time but nothing in fuel. I also watch out for Lidl DIY and similar special offers. Sometimes I'll use Heron for bread and maybe a pack of kipper fillets or frozen breaded fish if I'm going 'down town', usually driving on a round trip to other places, they don't have Hovis so it's usually Kingsmill 'Toastie' 800g @ £1-00.  Watch out with bread as not all 'large' loaves are 800g, some are only 750g. I'll also get a few bottles of Ben Shaw's 'pop' from there, 500ml @ 30p each, bitter shandy, cloudy lemonade, dandelion & burdock.They also have a free cash machine in the shop so that's very handy too. Farmfoods is near Heron, their Hovis and other large loaves are £1 each, two for £1-60, but I don't freeze it and only use about three loaves in two weeks.

The rest of my food I buy at the company shop, as Ive said on here before.  There's no guarantee what there will be from one day to the next but I've yet to come out without something good for at least the next few days. Tesco, Asda, Co-op, Morrisons, Sainsbury, M & S, Waitrose, Ocado etc., etc. own label and many top brands such as McVities biscuits & snacks, Cadbury and Nestle chocolate, Walker's crisps & snacks, Heinz soups, Nescafe coffee - various ones - currently a 300g jar of 'Original' is £3-79, a 150g refill pack of the same is £1-79, a 500g pack of McVities Digestives is 50p, 45g Kit Kat 'Dark' 25p., Nestle walnut whip, 6 for £1-00 300g Tesco British steak, very lean & tender, £2-40, Waitrose British pork chops, not a lot of bone or fat, various wieghts from 200 g to 600g, half marked price. When they get very close to the use by date they go on special offer at ANY 4 for £1-00, so then I sort through for the best highest weight ones. They are in the chilled section and can be frozen. I'm stocking up a bit with soups for winter, Heinz 400g classic vegetable / chicken & mushroom 4 tins for £1-00 ( BBE 06 / 2015, Heinz 400g muligatawny, 6 for £1-00. Maximum per customer per visit is usually 6 of any one item. Usually I get half a trolley full of various stuff for about £20 and share it with family and close friends. I can, and sometimes do, take a 'guest shopper' with me and they have the same 'allowance' for themself. With those prices I've no desire to shop anywhere else. If you are in N.E. Lincs. and would like to go as a guest, CM me.

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't care who you are, stop walking on the water while I'm fishing. --------------------------------------------------
Message 23 of 40
See Most Recent

@ed_blackadder_1 wrote:
My mother has a neighbour that will dive 12 miles to Asda to save 10p on a packet of butter. She will however only buy one as that is all she needs. 24 mile round trip to buy one packet of butter to save 10p. Goodness me life is too short. It isn't that she needs the money. It is a matter of principle apparently. ...........

My mum used to work with a lady like that.  She's sent her daughter to Tesco which is right the other side of town for her for a tea bags because they were cheaper.  Her daughter explained to her about the cost of petrol and that it would work out cheaper to get the tea bags nearer to home but no, they had to be from Tesco.

Message 24 of 40
See Most Recent

Well when I want to do a big shop I often check out the butter and readybrek prices aiming to save enough on them that I have paid for the petrol.  Prices generally tend to vary by a few pennies on most stuff.  It is the offers on the higher priced stuff you are going to buy anyway that swing it.

That said in distance order and omitting "local" stores we have:

Sainsbury

Tesco

Sainsbury

Iceland

Lidl

Asda

Asda

Asda

Lidl

Waitrose

Iceland

Sainsbury

Aldi

Co-op

Sainsbury

Tesco

Morrisons

I think that is all

Supermarkets anyone?

In about a 10 mile radius

Message 25 of 40
See Most Recent

Blimey that's a lot.  We've got in distance order Morrison's, Asda, Lidl, Tesco, Aldi, Morrison's and another Aldi.  I think that's all.

Message 26 of 40
See Most Recent

Never heard of Ocado , are they good?

**********Sam**********
Message 27 of 40
See Most Recent

The variety of supermarkets some of you have has made me quite jealous!For us to go to any of the larger stores we have to plan the trip out and then we end up rushing around to get back for the animals, must be great to just pop down the road.

Message 28 of 40
See Most Recent

I sympathise up to 6months ago I had to do exactly the same, I'm finding the choice in town is wonderful & I can walk there as well!.
Before I had to go everywhere in a motor & plan it around work away & at home.

**********Sam**********
Message 29 of 40
See Most Recent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocado

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't care who you are, stop walking on the water while I'm fishing. --------------------------------------------------
Message 30 of 40
See Most Recent

@saasher2012 wrote:
Never heard of Ocado , are they good?

I have used them on a couple of occasions, firstly last Christmas when I received a 20% off voucher by email (min spend £40 max £60). I went on line and browsed all their offers on alcoholic drinks. I bought over £80 worth of stuff for about £50 and had it delivered for free at 10.30pm.

Then a few weeks ago I had another similar offer by email so I did same sort of thing only this time with meats, frozen foods and groceries.

Stuff tends to be good quality and I'll consider using them more in the future because like any supermarket they've always got stuff on offer and offers can be easily browsed on line. With free delivery it's all good! (not all delivery slots are free)

Message 31 of 40
See Most Recent

Thanks! I'll have a google later sounds intersting.

**********Sam**********
Message 32 of 40
See Most Recent

Within 10 miles I have:

Tesco Extra

ASDA

ALDI

Co-Op

ALDI

Co-Op

Sainsbury's

Tesco Extra

Morrisons

Lidl

Lidl

Morrisons

Tesco Metro

Morrisons

ASDA

Tesco

ASDA

Tesco

Aldi

Aldi

Sainsbury's

Sainsbyry's

Tesco Metro

Tesco

Tesco Express

Lidl

Sainsbury's

ASDA

Tesco Superstore

And a several Icelands, Cost Cutters, Nisa.................

Message 33 of 40
See Most Recent

Oh no! You are deprived of a Waitrose. lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 34 of 40
See Most Recent

Yeh I know I'm deprived, such a low class area in the Midlands! There's a Waitrose at the M6 services which means it isn't of much use to me and I guess would be limited in size/scope. But I can always use Ocado. Smiley Wink

Message 35 of 40
See Most Recent

LOL. Never mind, take consolation in the fact we have one here & it's a big one but I keep forgetting to go in it as it's hidden away behind the beast market & every time I try & park I keep getting sidetracked by farmers who want to ask me this that & the other, as I know most of em!.

**********Sam**********
Message 36 of 40
See Most Recent

Well.......... popped into Lidls on the way home from work, tut, tut and what did I spy, lots of lovely crafting stuff, papers stickers, card and stamps with ink,  Oh wow and soooooooooo cheap just had to buy some. Oh dear £24.00 later and a large carrier bag full I arrived home.

Not such a cheap place to shop when all I went in for was 3 Donuts. huh...................................................

Message 37 of 40
See Most Recent

lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 38 of 40
See Most Recent

@ed_blackadder_1 wrote:
Our lidls looks like a luxury car showroom full of beemers audis and range rovers. So they must be doing something right.

Blooming heck...

Our Lidle only sells fruit veg and groceries...

Ignore anything under this ^^^^^ line... It's just my signature....
Message 39 of 40
See Most Recent

On an aside, Ocado also deliver pet food that is much cheaper than Pets at Home, (I think their pet website is called Fetch.co.uk) with free delivery in a one hour time slot.  For my weekly groceries I usually order Tesco online home delivery and it's easy to pick out the offers and collect their clubcard points which are useful to have especially when they have their boost offers on..

Message 40 of 40
See Most Recent