Duvets...... feather or synthetic?

I am thinking of getting a new duvet for the winter but can't quite make up my mind what to get. Bearing in mind my night sweats which would be better. I don't need anything too hot as our house is super insulated and doesn't really get cold. I want something snuggly.
Message 1 of 24
See Most Recent
23 REPLIES 23

Smiley LOLhahaha i,m snuggly.

Petal
Message 2 of 24
See Most Recent

I get hot at night too but love my feather duvet. It's only summer weight & I add a quilt in the winter. Saying that there are some lovely light synthetic ones which are almost as nice as feather & you can wash those.:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 24
See Most Recent

I too get hot at night, I have a summer weight Goose Down Duvet. Its light not to hot but snuggly. I use it all year round. I find the feather to heavy and hot.. 

Message 4 of 24
See Most Recent

Feather duvets are a nightmare to wash.

We have  feather goose down its very cosy & i dont find it to hot 

Never washed my feather one. It gets a good shake & aired on the line in the sun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 24
See Most Recent

WOOL DUVET every time for us.

It is as snug as feather/down, light as synthetic and helps to regulate body temerature as it is a pure fabric.

Merino wool is the best but can be expensive.  Welsh wool form the famous black sheep is next best. 

If you search eBay for 'merino wool duvet' there are loads.

Expect to pay around £85.00 for a good quality double or £100.00 for a king size.

Stopped the wifes night sweats immediatley when we changed and wife would divorce me if I purchased anything else.

That being said, the duvet we have is 3 years old and does not need changing - just gets dry cleaned once a year.  You can machine wash but you would need a huge machine and about a week for it to line dry properly as you cannot tumble dry them.

Message 8 of 24
See Most Recent

I'll second the vote for wool heart We've had one for quite a few years now and find it very good. They advertised it as being warm in winter and cool in summer and for the most part I'd agree that it is. We do have an extra throw over it when it's colder, but my beloved tends to push it off his side as he has the male attribute of radiating heat in bed Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 24
See Most Recent

Thanks peeps I really fancy a feather or down one but worry about spoiling it at the moment. Maybe I will wait until the sweats have eased off.
Message 10 of 24
See Most Recent

My colleague at work swears by silk filled duvets - I should imagine that they are similar to wool filled ones as silk is also a natural fibre.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 11 of 24
See Most Recent

All i know is my new one isn"t filled with Feathers!!!!, but its an Anti Allery one. I just thought it sounded healthy so i brought it. Its a 10.5 i think and strangely enough even though my flat is cold i seem to be snuggly and warm even under a lighter Duvet!,,and even in Winter!!!. Its probably the Change again,, its messing chronically with my Body temperature Thermostat!!!!Woman LOL

Message 12 of 24
See Most Recent

Same here, Rose. I'm forever throwing the duvet off, then pulling it back on! I got too hot when I had a feather one and found it too heavy as well. Synthetic for me every time.

Message 13 of 24
See Most Recent

I have one of the synthetic quietnight ones that press stud together so one for summer and clip them together for winter.

Also have a duck down quilt but find it way too hot

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 14 of 24
See Most Recent

globalwarminghotflash.GIF

Dear Ed, I so know how you feel sweetheart, I am past the menopause but now get night sweats because of my illness, oh joy.

I searched and searched everywhere for something light, but warm obviously (Scotland) - got it on here Linea (H of F) Hotel Collection 10.5 tog - artificial filling, but half the thickness of my feather one (same tog), I take it to the laundrette and because it is so skinny, takes less drying and only costs £6, and a whole lot less hassle than washing it myself.  The feather one costs £12 to wash and dry!

By the way, I buy Tena (shurrup Twishy) - 60 x 90cm - fold one round my pillow (underneath the pillowcase) and one underneath the sheet - saves the mattress cover from getting damp.  They're great, although my husband says I 'crinkle' if I move in bed Woman Frustrated, which I'm not allowed to do anyway.  Supposed to sleep like an Egyptian Mummy, lol. I second Stroppy though, have a girlfriend who has a silk one and swears by it.  Good luck. xx.

Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Strange days indeed, strange days indeed,
Most peculiar Mamma.....................................
Message 15 of 24
See Most Recent

Thanks Carol fab advice I will look into that. Its driving me nuts and the OH he has taken to sleeping in the spare room because I fidget so much.
Live the tenna idea might pick some up when I finish work I am forever washing my pillows.
Message 16 of 24
See Most Recent

I got those big Tenas on here Ed because I was always washing my pillows.  I had to have 8 for our bed because I was always changing them round, drove me nuts.

One week I had to throw out 4 pillowcases, been in the laundry basket 4/5 days - because they had mildew on Woman Surprised bleurgh.  You honestly don't notice them (the Tenas).

Yes, my OH often gets out of our bed in the night or I do because I am disturbing him.

Strange days indeed, strange days indeed,
Most peculiar Mamma.....................................
Message 17 of 24
See Most Recent

I would personally prefer proper blankets rather than duvets - they would stay tucked in properly for a start and for another thing they would take up a lot less storage space... Still, I have partly solved the looseness problem by going a size up and also using an upper sheet and a bed cover which do tuck in properly; it works well enough that there is no more getting tangled up in the duvet.
Message 18 of 24
See Most Recent

Oh I would hate being tucked in! I have a king size duvet on my double bed. I have a bolster pillow so when I sleep in the middle I don't vanish down the gap between the pillows! lol

Message 19 of 24
See Most Recent

All these posh duvets, I just buy argos value range and they do just fine. they are cheap enough to throw away and buy new when they look a bit tatty
-------------------------------------------------------------------
No sig can't be bothered.
Message 20 of 24
See Most Recent