Budgie ailments

Does anyone on here have any knowledge of Budgie ailments please? I had to take mine to the vet's yesterday as he has lost the feathers on his neck/chest area. He is being treated for a mite infection and had some spot-on drops applied, they last for a month. There were a few more feathers in the cage this a.m. He's still lively and talking and playing as normal. I just wondered how they get these mites or whatever they are? He isn't pulling the feathers out himself, so it's not a boredom thing with him. Never had this problem with a Budgie before. Thanks for any advice.

Message 1 of 69
See Most Recent
68 REPLIES 68

Budgie ailments

Can anyone tell me how I can delete a thread or a reply please? Sometimes I make an error  that I don't notice before I post

Message 2 of 69
See Most Recent

Budgie ailments

Think I'll give up on this computer for now, "deleting a thread" was supposed to be a seperate thread! LOL

Message 3 of 69
See Most Recent

Budgie ailments

You have seen the vet so now let the tweetment work Cat Very Happy

I'll get me coat..............................

Message 4 of 69
See Most Recent

Budgie ailments

@soppysofty wrote:

You have seen the vet so now let the tweetment work Cat Very Happy

I'll get me coat..............................

Very appropriate for a Budgie called Tweet, LOL 

Message 5 of 69
See Most Recent

Budgie ailments

'Options' on the right hand side lets you edit your post but only for a couple of minutes after you have posted. I don't think you can delete it without reporting it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 6 of 69
See Most Recent

Budgie ailments

I suspect the feathers that are now falling out were initially damaged before treatment, it does take time to kill all the mites which is why you must carry out the full treatment as per Vets instructions, remember mite eggs are still hatching!.

**********Sam**********
Message 7 of 69
See Most Recent

Budgie ailments

Sorry! Further to that does he have access to a dust bath? All birds have mites to some degree that's why they dust bath it not only dislodges them but acts as a feather cleaner as well also getting rid of dead feathers during the moult.

**********Sam**********
Message 8 of 69
See Most Recent

Budgie ailments

Poor little bird hope hes ok??. Yeah i wondered that about threads but you can only edit and not delete i think.

heart

Message 9 of 69
See Most Recent

Budgie ailments

poor wee birdie, yes as Sam suggested  a dustbath may be a good idea, but I think it would have to be changed often as the mites eggs could dislodge in the dust?

hope he's better soon.

I love budgies, I want one but OH wont' have one.......

Photobucket

Message 10 of 69
See Most Recent

Budgie ailments

He doesn't have a dust bath, so I'll have to see about that for him; I often put a bath in with water in it, but he usually just stares at it then uses it as a toiletSmiley Happy Ooh, I've gone all itchy reading about mites and their eggs.......it's as bad as when I found a spider in my bed last night!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Message 11 of 69
See Most Recent

Budgie ailments

Aww hope he gets well soon.My MIL budgie used to mutter and mimick sounds all day. What words can he say?

Message 12 of 69
See Most Recent

Budgie ailments

He says all sorts, some things can't be repeated on here though! He says the dogs' names and "Go to Bed"  "What are you doing?" "Stop it" all those sorts of things, and he mimics the dogs barking. He's lovely.

Message 13 of 69
See Most Recent

Budgie ailments

Thats sweet 🙂

Message 14 of 69
See Most Recent

Budgie ailments

lol. I'm so sorry you had me in stitches then, it must be the sun! " go to bed" what are you doing? Stop it!" Sounds as though mites are the least of his problems. Lol

**********Sam**********
Message 15 of 69
See Most Recent

Budgie ailments

Lol. Little cute birdie with attitude...I love it. Woman LOL

Message 16 of 69
See Most Recent

Budgie ailments

You should hear him when he swears, he puts such emphasis on the word, and he does it in my accent and tone, so I can't even deny it. Little beggar! It's a bit embarrassing when my friend comes to see me as she doesn't swear, LOL

Message 17 of 69
See Most Recent

Budgie ailments

lol!

**********Sam**********
Message 18 of 69
See Most Recent

Budgie ailments

sounds like you've got a real talker there, he sounds lovely....er by the way....where's the piccie of him then, you know we like piccies!!!!

Photobucket

Message 19 of 69
See Most Recent

Budgie ailments

OOhhhhhh i never relized that Budgies said that much!!!!!!. OOOerrrrrrr. Oh i do think its funny when birds say things their not supposed too!!!!!. Ha ha ,,,they could let out all your secrets could they not??. LOL

Message 20 of 69
See Most Recent