Avoiding the London Underground

Have booked a caravan for a week to see my Sister-in-law and family; would like to spend time with her as she is obviously very upset at losing Steve. Will be going by train and just wondered if it is possible to avoid the London Underground? Don't fancy it with 2 dogs and a suitcase and OH trailing on behind! Does anyone know how long it takes by taxi from Kings Cross to the other train station? Sorry, I've forgotten its name, will have to look it up. If I know an approx time, I can then plan the train times. Thanks in advance for any help.

Message 1 of 25
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks, Maggie. It's a lot of money, plus the train fare of £300. Might have to be the Underground, after all, LOL

Message 4 of 25
See Most Recent
24 REPLIES 24

It's Kings Cross to Stratford station.

Message 2 of 25
See Most Recent

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/london/kings+cross+station/stratford+station

This might help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 25
See Most Recent

Thanks, Maggie. It's a lot of money, plus the train fare of £300. Might have to be the Underground, after all, LOL

Message 4 of 25
See Most Recent

St Pancras (attached to Kings Cross) to Stratford only takes about 15.mins
Photobucket
Message 5 of 25
See Most Recent

& it's not underground
Photobucket
Message 6 of 25
See Most Recent

why is the train fare £300?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 7 of 25
See Most Recent

Can you take dogs on the underground?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 8 of 25
See Most Recent

Yes you can and they are free... but you must carry them on the escalators  as waggy tails can get caught etc.,

Message 9 of 25
See Most Recent

I just adore visiting London, have me  Oyster card, top up online, gee myself for the hustle and bustle and off we go.  Great fun.  Having travelled a bit the London Underground is amazing, serving such a big city and, in our experience, works so well.  St. Pancras is lovely too since they did it up and so easy to negotiate and the Eurostar can take you to some lovely places *sighs*.

Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Strange days indeed, strange days indeed,
Most peculiar Mamma.....................................
Message 10 of 25
See Most Recent

There is no direct train that will take you from Kings X /St Pancras to Stratford,

You will either have to take the Metropolitan/Circle line going East and change at Liverpool St. From there you can take a Central line underground to Stratford, or an overground train. That would be my preferred route.

Another route would be the Victoria line going North, one stop to Highbury and Islington from where you can also pick up an overground train to Stratford.

If you are really want to avoid the tube,  you could take a cab from Kings X to Liverpool St. and pick up the overground from there.

That would be less than half of  cost of taking a cab all the way.

Message 11 of 25
See Most Recent

The Ramsgate/Dover train from St Pancras stops at Stratford International begore going on to Ebbsfleet & Ashford.

I travel on it regularly

Photobucket
Message 12 of 25
See Most Recent

RDW, shout next time you're in London. I live minutes away from a Central Line station, we could meet up

Photobucket
Message 13 of 25
See Most Recent

I would like that very much Gina - I'd be dead nervous like, but would love to meet you.

We're looking at something towards the end of the year - not before autumn anyway until my numbers settle down, or whatever, then there'll be something bleedin' else, sorry. We used to go to a Burns Supper every year and then next night I got to go to see a show (Billy Elliot three years running).  On the Sunday - day in the pub watching the footie, early night for the morning train. I miss it, was great fun. 

Strange days indeed, strange days indeed,
Most peculiar Mamma.....................................
Message 14 of 25
See Most Recent

Hi we've just come back from a couple days in London. We used the buses a lot because my daughter isn't keen on the underground. Would this be an option for you?

still sig
Message 15 of 25
See Most Recent

If you put the 2 places into Google maps for directions and click on the bus icon it gives you a few options taking around 32-37mins.

still sig
Message 16 of 25
See Most Recent

Thanks, will have a look. I phoned a local taxi company again yesterday to find out the cost from Brid to Clacton and it would be between £300 and £350 he said, far too much as that's just one way.

Message 17 of 25
See Most Recent

I think the earlier posters meant a taxi from King's Cross to Stratford, not all the way from your home?

Speaking of which, where does that £300 rail fare quote come from?  That's way above the price I'd expect for the journey in question.

Message 18 of 25
See Most Recent

@peteryola wrote:

I think the earlier posters meant a taxi from King's Cross to Stratford, not all the way from your home?

Speaking of which, where does that £300 rail fare quote come from?  That's way above the price I'd expect for the journey in question.

The train fare from Brid to Clacton is £140 return, so its £280 for two of us; then whatever the Underground costs, plus taxi's to and from the station.

Yes, they did mean a taxi from Kings Cross to Stratford, but I have also looked into how much it would cost to go down there by taxi; unfortunately it's just not viable.

It can be very expensive holidaying in this country these days.

Message 19 of 25
See Most Recent

is that using trainline.com  and getting early  tickets carol?

i suppose you need to be travelling at peak times for most of your journey ;|

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 20 of 25
See Most Recent