Avoiding the London Underground

Have booked a caravan for a week to see my Sister-in-law and family; would like to spend time with her as she is obviously very upset at losing Steve. Will be going by train and just wondered if it is possible to avoid the London Underground? Don't fancy it with 2 dogs and a suitcase and OH trailing on behind! Does anyone know how long it takes by taxi from Kings Cross to the other train station? Sorry, I've forgotten its name, will have to look it up. If I know an approx time, I can then plan the train times. Thanks in advance for any help.

Message 1 of 25
See Most Recent
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Avoiding the London Underground

do you get separete tickts for the underground or will the tickets from brid to clacton surfice?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 21 of 25
See Most Recent

@carolyorkie2010 wrote:

It's Kings Cross to Stratford station.

King's Cross to Liverpool Street station, surely?  That's where the Clacton trains start - Stratford is the first stop after Liverpool St.

Taxi fare King's Cross to Liverpool Street station is about £15.

Message 22 of 25
See Most Recent

A ticket from Bridlington to Clacton via London would include the underground.

If you're prepared to change trains at Peterbrorough for Ipswich then Colchester for clacton, you can get a "route not London" ticket for £115.00.  If you have any kind of railcard, that would reduce to £75.90.

There may be cheaper deals on offer via East Coast's website - but avoid the other site mentioned earlier because they charge a fee on top; they are cheaper it is true, but they are not the cheapest if you see what I mean...  It is always better to use a train operating company website - they do all sell everyone's tickets, nit just their own.

Message 23 of 25
See Most Recent

@duck_a_lorange wrote:

@carolyorkie2010 wrote:

It's Kings Cross to Stratford station.

King's Cross to Liverpool Street station, surely?  That's where the Clacton trains start - Stratford is the first stop after Liverpool St.

Taxi fare King's Cross to Liverpool Street station is about £15.

Most of the  trains go from Stratford; I think there is only one, setting off later, that goes to Liverpool Street. From Brid it is about a 6 and a half hour journey, as there are 3 changes, the first being at Doncaster. Just hoping the dogs will be ok on a long journey as they have never been on a train before and not taking them is not an option. Still trying to arrange a lift down there.

Will look into changing at Peterborough. Otherwise will get a taxi to avoid the Underground.

The train prices are from the National Rail enquiries site.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated.

Message 24 of 25
See Most Recent

@peteryola wrote:

A ticket from Bridlington to Clacton via London would include the underground.

If you're prepared to change trains at Peterbrorough for Ipswich then Colchester for clacton, you can get a "route not London" ticket for £115.00.  If you have any kind of railcard, that would reduce to £75.90.

There may be cheaper deals on offer via East Coast's website - but avoid the other site mentioned earlier because they charge a fee on top; they are cheaper it is true, but they are not the cheapest if you see what I mean...  It is always better to use a train operating company website - they do all sell everyone's tickets, nit just their own.

Looked into changing at Peterborough, seems like that will be the answer, thanks for the info. Also its £50 cheaper than going via London.

Message 25 of 25
See Most Recent