Updates! KB3035583 came back?

Would you believe it? Checked for updates (Win 7) and lo and behold KB3035583 had un-hidden it self again.?

So I hid it again.

Also, after I installed the latest updates (except KB3035583) a homegroup icon had appeared on my desktop.

Sooooo, I removed that by going to :-

Control Panel

Network & Internet

Appearance and personalisation

Personalisation

Change desktop icons

In the Desktop Icons box, checked the network box, then unchecked it, clicked apply, clicked OK.

The icon was gone.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 49
See Most Recent
48 REPLIES 48

On the plus side, CD, at least you seem to be getting updates.

I'm having yet another go at getting one Vista and one Windows 7 computer to update. At all. They're driving me mad. I can't remember when a spot of internet trawling last failed to get me through this sort of problem.

MS really doesn't give the impression of being particularly trustworthy, does it? Users express their desire for an update to disappear and it keeps reappearing. Really pretty shabby.

It might be worth taking a look at GWX Control Panel or Never10 - take a look at silver_lynx's post earler today for more information.

Much as I enjoy messing about with computers, I'm increasingly wondering about wiping every single instance of Windows from my machines. I hardly ever try to use it - and whenever I do, it gives me uphill.

(Stomps off to the fridge for another beer - to be swilled while watching a DVD, having temporarily given up on what I suspect has to be the world's most irritating operating system.)

Message 2 of 49
See Most Recent

Where are you accessing the Win updates on your Win 7 M/C?

If it's using IE and "Safety"/"Windows Update, can you see the list of updates?

What happens when you click to update? Anything or does the progress bar not move and shows 0% for ages?

Or what?

Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 49
See Most Recent

Now there's a thought - try it via IE. I've been going via Control Panel > Updates.

Pretty much no matter what I try, they just hang at "Checking for updates" - overnight, a couple of times. CPU use is very high, too.

I've tried all sorts of fixes (the most interesting so far was one of those "Fixits" which resulted in User Account Control seeing MS programs as coming from an unverified publisher.)

The Vista machine's now been relaunched via IE - be interesting to see what happens.

The W7 machine has been "Searching for updates on this computer" via an update readiness tool thing for a couple of hours. It refuses to stop when I click "Cancel.".Perhaps I'll give it a bit more time.

Really annoying, but can you imagine how infuriating it must be for anyone who actually needs their computer? An awful lot of folk are dependent on MS Office or some Adobe thing or whatever that only runs on Windows.

Must be really horrid.

Message 4 of 49
See Most Recent

Well now, there were updates for Office and Windows sooooooo, I did what I usually do, do them separately.

I did Office first. Knowing what has been happening for a while, I started the update download and went to prepare tea. I kept coming back to look, yep, progress bar didn't appear to have moved, still on 0%, this went on for some time then suddenly it was "installing updates".

When they were done, I closed all program that I had open (except IE) then checked that none of the Win updates were on the hit list and started the Win update D/L and went and had tea. I looked in, saw the D/L & install were done, closed IE and hit re-start and left it to get on with it.

So what's with that M/C of yours? What's your D/L speed? Wocher done to it? You can't even see any updates? It doesn't like you?

Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 49
See Most Recent

Sooooo, I removed that by going to :-

Control Panel

Network & Internet

Appearance and personalisation

Personalisation

Change desktop icons

Well that's a long-winded way to get to that option...you could just right click on desktop and personalise Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 49
See Most Recent

Heck, you're right. Didn't think of that, waaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I did right click on the icon but the delete option wasn't showing so that's when I went the CP route.

Live long and prosper.

Message 7 of 49
See Most Recent

M/C??? I don't have a motorbike.

It doesn't like you?

Doesn't like me? Windows hates me - and increasingly, I it.

I've given up on the Vista machine for the time being. A system restore on the W7 machine resulted it seeing that updates are available. It has now been (supposedly) downloading them since lunch-time. 0 KB total, 0% complete, as I write. I think this is where this whole sorry saga started.

I'll give it a few more hours but, really...

As for the Vista machine - it's certainly underpowered even for Vista Basic, with only a gig of RAM. I booted into its Linux partition (Mint 17.3) and tentatively enquired about updates. It thought for about thirty seconds and offered me 14 updates. A couple were quite stubborn - the whole thing took a little over three minutes.

Message 8 of 49
See Most Recent

You know M/C meant "machine" grin

So, how did the updates get on?

Why didn't you try just doing a couple to see what happens?

Live long and prosper.

Message 9 of 49
See Most Recent

The W7 machine still hangs at "downloading" - even when I tick one update at a time.

After 14 hours, the Vista machine found updates. It downloaded and installed the. Two restarts. As I type:

Updates were not configured correctly. (And whose fault is that, exactly?) Reverting changes. And the icing on the yucky-cake - the peremptory and ungrammatical Do not turn off your computer while it tries to undo its self-incflicted damage and return everything to the former mess.

Once Windows goes bad, it goes bad big-time, doesn't it?

Thank heaven for the reliability and stability of Linux for my everyday computing needs.

Message 10 of 49
See Most Recent

It looks like your system is well corrupted somehow?

Dare I ask what happens if you do a re-install and check for updates afterwards?

I've never used Linux, I've read what's been extensively posted on here but I wonder how Windows and Linux compare?

Is it like a Morris Minor where you can fix most things with a screwdriver and a pair of pliars compared to a "modern" car where you open the bonnet, see all the wires and pipes and shut the bonnet quickly when to remember that there's sensors everywhere and you need to plug a computer in to diagnose a fault?

Live long and prosper.

Message 11 of 49
See Most Recent

Hi, CD. Yes, I've certainly managed to upset the two computers concerned.

In the case of the W7 machine, it's quite possible that it's taken umbrage at some update I removed last year when all the snooping began. I might have ditched something that helped with the update process, unlikely though that seems. In any case, I've installed the latest update readiness thingie from MS, among other things.

It's probably six months or more since either machine was last used, and the sheer mass of stuff might cause problems. I've tried downloading just a couple of updates at a time (and even single updates) on the W7 machine when it actually condescends to find available updates, but it just hangs indefinitely at "downloading updates." Bizarrely, the update history shows a couple of successful updates over the last couple of days, and it has shown updates being installed on shut-down. These aren't necessarily ones I've actually ticked and told it to look for, though. (All this despite showing 0 KB o% complete on the download progress display.)

I've found a reasonably up to date Update Agent for Vista and installed that - now to give it another fourteen hours or whatever to see whether it finds anything, then try again. It might be worth trying a few at a time - we'll see.

The W7 machine came from one of those MS refurbisher types - how they get away without providing reinstallation media, goodness knows... I could probably find the Vista machine's Toshiba reinstallation discs somewhere, but 'tis a bit of a performance.

It would also be interesting to try to resolve the problems, as neither machine is exactly heavily used or urgently needed. They're both giving it another go overnight following a "clean boot."

Is it like a Morris Minor where you can fix most things with a screwdriver and a pair of pliars compared to a "modern" car where you open the bonnet, see all the wires and pipes and shut the bonnet quickly when to remember that there's sensors everywhere and you need to plug a computer in to diagnose a fault?

Hard to say. Linux seems to go wrong even more rarely than a Morris Minor and when it does, one can usually find the information and wherewithal necessary for a repair fairly easily. Worst comes to worst, reinstallation is quick and easy.

I find Linux also has a cleaner, sleeker feel to it, and it always seems nippier and smoother.

Relating to my own motoring experience, I can't help thinking that Windows offers Morris Minor performance with the reliability of a Renault 18 (bet noone remembers those - delightful when it worked) and the maintenance challenges of a Citroen DS21, with none of the class.

Ironically, it doesn't seem possible to plug a computer into it to analyse and fix it, either.

Message 12 of 49
See Most Recent

I sometimes think Windows is like those "modern" cars which have umpteen features you never use plus several ways to do some things, some easy, some awkward (a bit like #1?). More things to go wrong means more things do go wrong.

It was a shame FF went the way it did and the "cut-down" browsers like Pale Moon and Waterfox don't seem to have problems doing everything one normally does?

So, will a Linux M/C run any MS programs like Office or does one have to go the Open Office route? Will it happily accept printers and cameras without having to mess about with.........?

Live long and prosper.

Message 13 of 49
See Most Recent

Linux is not Windows - and yes, that means that Windows-specific software won't run on it. (Not 100% true - look up WINE and Crossover, for instance - but even where it's possible, some effort will be involved.)

Vendor lock-in has successfully trapped millions of users in the Windows (and Mac) systems.

Since I don't need the undoubted bells and whistles of MS Office, I'm more than happy with LibreOffice. I also see little point in risking introducing Windows vulnerabilities along with Windows programs, although that might not be possible - not sure.

The fact of the matter is that Linux distros meet all my needs and more, and honestly cause me a fraction of the trouble which Windows does - even though I hardly use the latter these days.

Make no mistake, Linux isn't perfect. However, I find that the superior stability, reliability, security and (now)privacy more than compensate for the lack of smart ribbon interfaces.

Vista has just battled with updates, and reverted the changes again. It probably doesn't realise it, but it's signed its own death-warrant this time.

Message 14 of 49
See Most Recent

Sorry - printers and cameras and things - I've had no hassles, but other folk have. YMMV.

Linux drivers tend to be simpler matters - I find the lack of features on, say, the Epson driver is more than compensated for by the (relative) lack of tantrums which used to occur in Windows days.

Certain wireless chips are a pain, and some fiddling is required. Once the problem's resolved, though, it tends to remain resolved. Touch wood. And it's rare to be unable to find solutions on the internet, when difficulties arise.

Much of it is personal preference. I honestly find Windows (up to 7, at any rate), clunky, old fashioned-feeling and temperamental. And I hate the spying, and controlling of users' computers, that seems to have crept in.

Message 15 of 49
See Most Recent

Would you Christmas Eve it? KB3035583 is back AGAIN in spite of me hiding it and also using Never10.

Any ideas now?

Live long and prosper.

Message 16 of 49
See Most Recent

I hid it again and installed the security update but in doing so the download progress bar actually worked OK this time.

Past updates have stuck on 0% until the whole update was downloaded then the install progress bar stayed on 0% until the update was installed. Nice to see progress?

Live long and prosper.

Message 17 of 49
See Most Recent

Never mind. The 29th is close, and hopefully they'll give up after that so far as W7 and 8/8.1 holdouts are concerned.

If not, don't write Linux off.

Having said that, I plan to try to find the offending snoopware updates applicable to W7 and which need removing, and will try recharging and firing up the W7 laptop after the 29th. I'm sorry I don't have a Windows 8.1 computer, as that would be supported three years beyond W7 for any Windows stuff I need. (Zero, at the moment.)

Message 18 of 49
See Most Recent

They must have changed someting in that update to get it past the "hide update" function and Never10?

Live long and prosper.

Message 19 of 49
See Most Recent

There's a new one. I tried to post a response, and found myself on some odd page which included one of those infuriating banner ads for - something or other. A webinar? Possibly related to the frequent freezing-on-the-forums problem. What a spectacularly irritating site this can be.

Let's try again.

I didn't work anything out cleverly - the Never10 site provides the explanation (I think.)

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

The relevant gen is contained in a little box. The text:

Never10 does NOT prevent the installation of Windows updates, including
the infamous Get Windows 10 (GWX) update KB3035583.  Never10 simply
employs Microsoft's documented and sanctioned configuration settings to
instruct it NOT to change the installed version of Windows.

Message 20 of 49
See Most Recent