auto-pay on send-an-offer items

Ebay now seem to require auto-pay on items that I wish to make an offer on ? Guess what Ebay I will not authorise auto pay on each item so therefore I will not send offers to sellers. Another good feature that you have runied - the excuse its to stop people who then dont pay for the item is garbage = you know who made the offer, you now who did not pay so suspend their account for a week or send them an email - you would rather make everyone auto-pay well I will just not bother making offers. 

Message 1 of 98
See Most Recent
97 REPLIES 97

Re: auto-pay on send-an-offer items

EXACTLY, I use paypal credit often for expensive purchases and paypal balance for cheaper ones so I need to go through checkout manually to be able to choose. Forced payment does not allow this. If ebay are trying to cut down on non payers then only implement forced payment on those who have a history of non payment instead of ruining the ebay experience for  those who do pay on time and choose which method to pay with. Some unintelligent person in ebay making up new rules that make things worse, sack who ever thought this up without being able to see the downsides of it.

Message 81 of 98
See Most Recent

I did mention in an earlier post that you can, as a buyer, remove any auto-pay payment method you have used previously and configue a new method for each autp-pay bid, but it is a bit of a faff to do, or you can ask the seller to untick the auto-pay option. But I agree that all the good payers should not be penalised just because of the odd non-payer.

Message 82 of 98
See Most Recent

one can not set up paypal credit as auto pay method because one has to go through checkout manually, only paypal balance can be set up as auto pay.  no flexibility in thinking just rigid like a bot. Humans defy logic  so bots can not run everything.

Message 83 of 98
See Most Recent

This just happened to me tonight I'm shocked 

Message 84 of 98
See Most Recent

I think, if the seller has selected auto pay, then that should automatically be informed to buyers in the listing. Then the prospective buyer has a choice whether to make an offer or not.

Message 85 of 98
See Most Recent

I see that, but it should be noted on the listing that the seller has selected this option so prospective buyers have a choice to bid or not. Many will not want money taken without their authorisation.

Message 86 of 98
See Most Recent

@oddact4450 wrote:

I see that, but it should be noted on the listing that the seller has selected this option so prospective buyers have a choice to bid or not. Many will not want money taken without their authorisation.

That's a reply to a post I made in August when I said it's something can sellers opt into.

Since then eBay has been opting sellers into requiring buyers to provide a payment method before making an offer without telling them.

Many sellers don't realise it's been turned on so you can't expect the seller to warn about it if they aren't aware themselves.

Message 87 of 98
See Most Recent

I am in total agreement. I feel it's a ploy on eBay's part to encourage buyers to use PayPal

Message 88 of 98
See Most Recent

Totally agree I feel this is bad practice. I have made many purchases since 2006, never failing to pay. I am also considering leaving this platform. 

Message 89 of 98
See Most Recent

I was just about to make an offer on an expensive item, which I would always use PayPal credit for if the offer was accepted. Unfortunately it came up and said that it only wanted to use my PayPal account and would pay the seller immediately if they accepted. There is no way I'm ever going to make an offer on expensive items again if they don't fix this.

Message 90 of 98
See Most Recent

"they" won't be fixing "it" because it's only gonna be a "kerching" their way.

I hear it may be coming to auctions as well.

It's all about "instant" money which they can gain interest on/turn around.

Ebay has never been about the buyer nor the seller.It's only ever been about KERCHING their way.

They can easily do away with 80% of their buyers and sellers.In fact they have made sooooooooo  much from this site i doubt if they care if all went pear shaped tomorrow.

Do you have any idea how many other businesses they own and how much they make from them ???.

Message 91 of 98
See Most Recent

I might as well just buy a brand-new item. At least I will get to have a finance option and Insurance and not have to mess about with eBay, eBay sellers, Stupid eBay offers, Or PayPal. It'll cost me more upfront, but at least I'll get exactly what I want.

Message 92 of 98
See Most Recent

It's just happened to me for the first time to the tune of 376 pounds I was going to use PayPal credit or pay in three but they just paid it 

Message 93 of 98
See Most Recent

you want to try to negotiate the issues where you are making offers on
multiple items from the same seller, or even more tricky a mix of offers,
auction items and buy-it-now items all from the same seller!!
Message 94 of 98
See Most Recent

It is a pain, but as I mentioned previously you MUST delete any existing payent method BEFORE making an offer or bidding on an item that has the autopay feature switched on. You will then be asked to entre how you want to pay and it will use that method until yo delete it again...

This a real pian in the rear, but I can't find a way around it

Message 95 of 98
See Most Recent

Went to make an offer on something this evening and got asked for payment details and to link my paypal to my account! something I stopped doing some time ago after a friend had his account hacked.
Im not willing to have payment details held on my account and there is not collection option on the “Make an offer” any more.
Another “Feature” to stop me buying things on ebay,

Message 96 of 98
See Most Recent

BEWARE THE AUTO PAY DEMONS!!

Message 97 of 98
See Most Recent

agree this is a stupid cha\nge as it complcates combining purchased itmes for postage reasons. I will not be making any more offers if this is opted into by the seller

Message 98 of 98
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: