Royal Mail.......lost items!!!!!

Hi, has anyone noticed an increase in UK Royal Mail packages going "missing" recently. In the last 2 days I have had 3 different buyers claiming item has not arrived. One looks genuine as it is Recorded Delivery which has not arrived. The other 2 are fairly low value First Class items and of course I have no way of knowing if  this is genuine or not.

Prior to this (I have "lost" a few international parcels) but only 1 UK parcel last year went astray and never turned up.

Anyone else having problems with this?

Message 1 of 1,017
See Most Recent
1,016 REPLIES 1,016

Royal Mail have morphed from one kind of blood sucker to another quite successfully ..... "We deliver your reputation" eBay sellers check your delivery metrix I'm guessing we see the same on 1st class post specifically 3% they clearly dont!! add to that lost parcels, parcels with excess postage to be paid by end customer, no missed delivery card left.

All I can say is yes they do a fair job, but every lost parcel they are robbing me blind with impunity, I resent that!

Message 601 of 1,017
See Most Recent

plain english proof of postage .... dont worry making the royal mail claim a bigger challenge 😛 they ask for proof of cost if you sell loads of a specific item buy one from a cheaper competitor and hit them with that reciept .... i'm actually starting to think that is not a bad option as i cannot get @postoffice protection.

Message 602 of 1,017
See Most Recent

I have had three parcels go astray in last few weeks,Sue

Message 603 of 1,017
See Most Recent

I had 6 go missing from the same mail box. I now split my packages over numerous mail boxes in different locations, I post these on my way to work.

Message 604 of 1,017
See Most Recent

As from the 27 March 2017 at least you now get some form of free tracking on small parcels. Maybe this will help.

From the beginning of the year I have been using a pre printed sticker with a bar code, a number and the wording NO SIGNITURE REQUIRED and although it means nothing I have not had one issue with ''lost'' mail. (may it continue). At less than a tenner for 1000, the best few quid I have ever spent on the mail in a long time   .£5 / 1000

Message 605 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Interesting, I have been considering putting the postage labels on both sides of the envelope

Message 606 of 1,017
See Most Recent

It can be helpful to use a Pitney Bowes meter. Postage is cheaper and the stickers are official looking enough to make a buyer assume they might be tracked. I have had nowhere near the same INR claims since I started using the franking machine. I also save time and money at the Post Office as I only have to drop parcels off. I'm just a sole trader with a small business so don't assume these machines are just for the big sellers

Message 607 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Considered a PB machine but dont get a POP and now wont get the new FREE delivery report on parcels. Paying the extra for S/For still gives the more detailed track and increased compo if that applies remembering you only claim for invoice cost NOT retail cost which is useless if you manufacture.

Happy at present with the label. Just checked the cost and its £5 /per 1000 not as previously mentioned

Message 608 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Re lost Royal Mail items, I too was very cynical about item not received, as always have received my item, even if it sometimes takes a few days more than expected.

But I bought an item that never arrived for the first time ever.

Seller refunded, it appears Royal mail do lose items...it was a 'big' item, too big for letterbox, but under £20.

Seller now has to put in a claim..very frustrating for both parties, I wanted item, and seller didn't want the hassle of a claim.

{ I know thread is old, but wanted to say that not all inr's are done to get an item ''for free''...very dishonest.}

Message 609 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Are you 100% sure it was posted? I had similar problem - normally I receive 100% of my orders - but this time I think seller haven't posted my order.
Message 610 of 1,017
See Most Recent

JUST A QUICK ONE FOR THOSE THAT HAVE NOT NOTICED ROYAL MAIL NON SIGNED FOR IS NOW TRACKED. IF YOU LOOK AT YOUR RECEIPT YOU WILL NOTICE THE 16 DIGIT NUMBER HAS ATLERED. THIS NOW TELLS YOU WHEN DELIVERED.

I NOW PUT ROYAL MAIL TRACKED ON MY LISTINGS AND PUT THE NUMBER IN THE TRACKING INFO. AT LEAST IT TELLS YOU IF DELIVERED OR NOT.

IF NOTHING MORE IT MAY PUT SOME SCAMMERS OFF.

P.S. STILL 100% DELIVERY RATE TO EBAYS GLOBAL SELLING HUB NON SIGNED FOR. SOMEHOW THEY DONT GO MISING thinking

Message 611 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Turn off Caps Lock.
Message 612 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Hi, Yes, seller showed ''proof of posting''...but somehow said she'd forgotten to get it signed for.

Without a card, it was hopeless as delivery office said that they could do nothing from my end.

Still no sign of it. [Posted May 3rd, time now 24th May] very worrying..it was a book, quite a big one, so not easily lost like a small card might be.

I am honest, would never dream of scamming anyone.

Tracking costs £8.50 for a book this size, the purchase price was £10.

Item was untracked, and I don't know how it was forgotten to be signed for..I had paid for that service.

Message 613 of 1,017
See Most Recent

It's dishonest of the seller to specify one type of posting and use a cheaper one. I post some items signed for, and some not ,it depends on the selling price.

A previous post also cast doubt on whether INR actually occurs at all. Believe me it does. I have had it happen to me recently with stuff I have bought myself from a trusted and reliable seller I have bought from many times before. Its a bit mean to just assume that all your customers are liars even if we know some of them are. People lose things all the time post, luggage etc.. The big problem is not being able to know what is genuine and what isn't and the claiming process is a complete nusiance.

Message 614 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Unfortunately RM are losing items too frequently.

We thought maybe our labels were the problem but all the important information is displayed properly.

Not being able to claim where an item is lost because your using a specific service is a big put off.
Message 615 of 1,017
See Most Recent

3 postal issues with my own personal post in the past month. I accept we have a new postie but the Post Office still refuse to protect me. 3 official complaints directed at Paula Vennells seems to have generated some action but not holding my breath!

My loyalty stretches no futher than my local post office anybody starting out print your labels online and take to post office and ask for proof of posting. From my understanding the Post Office do this for free they deserve the drain on time thanks to the idiotic one sided contracts the Conservative Government signed with Royal Mail.

People dont be deluded we were robbed!!!

Message 616 of 1,017
See Most Recent

this is so frustrating. 

I keep getting told there are qr codes on parcels. i have a code on the receipt that is 4 sets of 4 digits. But ive tried putting these digits into track and trace but nothing comes back. 

i asked at my local post office again, and they said its just a reference number. 

please help me.. please.. just spell it out as if im a really really simple human being. 

Message 617 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Hello,

The reference number on a post office reciept is not the same as a tracking number. To have a tracked or signed for parcel you will have to pay an extra 95p. then you will get a proper number you can use to track the progress of the parcel and also it will prove to eBay and paypal that you have sent the parcel should it go astray.

If you use ordinary post there is no proof  {as far as paypal and eBay are concerned) that you ever sent it, they won't accept ordinary mail receipts. You can claim from Royal Mail but they will only pay cost price of the item and you will need a receipt for that too!

However if you sell low value items under say 20 pounds it's hardly worth your while to spend the extra tracking them. Its yet another cost to absorb, for you if you offer free post, or your customer if you don't . Bear in mind that your customer will not want to pay 3.95 for a 7.00 item.  Use your common sense and pay for the tracked or signed for delivery when you think its appropiate

Message 618 of 1,017
See Most Recent

No QR codes on the parels but if it is a small packet or above it will have a Reference Number on the reciept you get , 4 blocks of 4 digits/ letters like: 1234 91d4 9876 963e.  These numbers work on the track & trace  Royal Mail website and only says if its been delivered. It not a signed for service and does not have the enhanced compensation like 'Signed For' does but its free!!  It does not appy to Letters or Large Letters though.

Message 619 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Since we have been using the QR codes, RM seem to be doing much better (NO INR in UK). Either that or the thieving scumbags realise we are getting delivery confirmations.

International INR is on the increase though, unless of course we send it Tracked/Signed. Some countries are worse than others. I was told this was due to "cultural differences" 

I did query this with CS and of course they say we should always send everything tracked.

Message 620 of 1,017
See Most Recent