Payment dispute- CHARGEBACK SCAM.....SELLERS BEWARE!!!!!!

Sellers Beware of the latest scam!!! 'Payment dispute- Chargebacks ', the buyer purchases your item, then files a chargeback against the pay-pal or credit card company . The money is then taken out of your account, plus fees and you have NO recourse!!! The buyer will come up with a lame excuse, item significantly not as described, not received, etc. more of the scammers are using this payment dispute scam to get the  item and the money back , is not safe to sale on eBay anymore as eBay and PayPal are in conflict and scammers know that so they use PayPal for payment dispute and eBay can’t do  anything for you but to chargeback your account this is happening more and more. BEWARE!!!!! We will start to see a trend...

Message 1 of 368
See Most Recent
367 REPLIES 367

Re: Payment dispute- CHARGEBACK SCAM.....SELLERS BEWARE!!!!!!

Contact eBay if they have your money lol
Message 361 of 368
See Most Recent

I managed to win an disputed based on my evidence tracking / contact / screenshots etc 

This dispute closed on 21 Feb 2024 and you weren't responsible for providing the refund, Paulina.
The disputed amount is no longer on hold. You'll receive a credit of the disputed amount and any eligible fees on your next available payout if you haven't already. For more information, check your Payment dispute details.

All the best guys

Message 362 of 368
See Most Recent

@paulinagolak wrote:
I managed to win an disputed based on my evidence tracking / contact / screenshots etc 

This dispute closed on 21 Feb 2024 and you weren't responsible for providing the refund, Paulina.
The disputed amount is no longer on hold. You'll receive a credit of the disputed amount and any eligible fees on your next available payout if you haven't already. For more information, check your Payment dispute details.

All the best guys

It's good to see the published seller protection working as it should for that sort of dispute, especially for that value.

Had they opened one for not as described you would have lost the money and the item.

Chargebacks remain a huge risk for sellers.

Message 363 of 368
See Most Recent

This has just recently happend to me . The customer purchased a soft toy in October then opened a dispute in January with her payment source/bank NOT through ebay and due to this  ebay initially found in her favour and was going to charge me for the item £17.86 plus a dispute fee of £14.00.

I was fuming as I hate injustice but had sent evidence in the form of screen shots that showed the item had been delivered and the customer had left positive feedback ! Why the banks , paypal etc do not check the delivery , feedback info I do not know .

After speaking to an Ebay agent she could see the item had been delivered and the feedback from the customer and refunded me any money that had been charged .

Customer was a total scammer . Not nice at all for businesses trying to earn an honest living .

To be honest this has never happend to me before and most customers are lovely but beware it could happen especially with the cost of living crisis and people trying to make a quick buck!

Message 364 of 368
See Most Recent

But reading on the seller protection guidelines in the eBay policy, there seems to be vague information regarding seller protection against a dispute of 'Item not as described'. 

"

When a buyer opens a payment dispute because the item doesn't match the listing

When a buyer opens a payment dispute because the item they received doesn't match the listing, sellers will be asked to provide evidence to challenge the payment dispute, such as photographs showing the item's condition prior to shipment.

When determining whether to protect a seller, eBay will look for one of the following:

• The seller issued a full refund to the buyer through eBay
  • The seller issued a refund to the buyer through eBay, but deducted an amount from the refund because the item was returned used or damaged (in accordance with our guidelines
  • An eBay Money Back Guarantee case of the same type for the same transaction that was already resolved with:
    • eBay determining that the seller met their obligations to the buyer, or
    • eBay issuing a full refund to the buyer

If eBay determines that the transaction is eligible for protections:

• We will not seek reimbursement from the seller for the disputed amount, even if the payment institution decides that the buyer is owed a refund; and
  • We will waive or refund the seller's dispute fee"

so based on this, there does seem to be seller protection based on this. I just can't seem to get my head around this. Can anyone explain how they can utilise this to get seller protection?

Message 365 of 368
See Most Recent

EBAY IS DEAD.

NO PROTECTION AGAINST THIS SCAM.

FOR SELLERS IT IS SIMPLY A NON OPTION NOW TO USE EBAY.

LETS HOPE EBAY DIES A QUICK DEATH NOW AS DESERVED.

Message 366 of 368
See Most Recent

so why are you still listing?  Simply close your account instead of wasting time making silly statements.   I for one will continue selling on here as long as it suits me.

Message 367 of 368
See Most Recent

Are there any legal cases underway that challenge ebays management of chargeback fraud that new victims can join?

Message 368 of 368
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: