Payment dispute- CHARGEBACK SCAM.....SELLERS BEWARE!!!!!!

Sellers Beware of the latest scam!!! 'Payment dispute- Chargebacks ', the buyer purchases your item, then files a chargeback against the pay-pal or credit card company . The money is then taken out of your account, plus fees and you have NO recourse!!! The buyer will come up with a lame excuse, item significantly not as described, not received, etc. more of the scammers are using this payment dispute scam to get the  item and the money back , is not safe to sale on eBay anymore as eBay and PayPal are in conflict and scammers know that so they use PayPal for payment dispute and eBay can’t do  anything for you but to chargeback your account this is happening more and more. BEWARE!!!!! We will start to see a trend...

Message 1 of 368
See Most Recent
367 REPLIES 367

Re: Payment dispute- CHARGEBACK SCAM.....SELLERS BEWARE!!!!!!

And all the delivery details from Royal Mail app and website regarding successful delivery to buyer address to.

Even says delivered on ebay app to.

Message 341 of 368
See Most Recent

All have been screenshot as well.

Message 342 of 368
See Most Recent

I'm still awaiting the outcome of a payment dispute after they closed a return through eBay that u had already paid return postage for - I will be going in person to collect my item if a refund is issued as eBay state the buyer may not be required to return it 🤷🏼‍♀️

Message 343 of 368
See Most Recent

Mines over £800.Ebay are wanting money returned without ever getting goods back.

Message 344 of 368
See Most Recent

No you won't.

Ive got physical proof item was delivered to address at checkout and still given in buyers favour reversing eBays seller protection.

Message 345 of 368
See Most Recent

Because the claim is between the bank and the company (eBay) I'm sure if they don't prove delivery to the address registered with the bank it's an open and shut case - eBay do nothing to confirm addresses , you can literally have £1000's of stuff sent to your mates house and then file a claim with the bank saying you don't recongnise the transactions - the bank do no real  investigation , they just ask eBay for proof it was delivered to the card holders address which obviously in that situation they can't because they don't do anything at all to confirm payment source address vs eBay delivery address 

Message 346 of 368
See Most Recent

Yep done that.

Ebay still says im not covered by seller protection and have to pay back monies without ever getting item returned.

Message 347 of 368
See Most Recent

Is this addressed to me?

The buyer picked it up. Scanned the code and I took a photo of him leaving
in his car with it

The buyer never even disputed having the item. They raised a chargeback for
other reasons and got to keep item and 5500 pounds

I'm not being funny, but it's taken 15 months and legal action. I'm pretty
sure I know what happened and how xhargebacks are now used

I'd be wary of selling high value items on ebay
Message 348 of 368
See Most Recent

marco@ebay 

Marco are you able to help this member with why he is not covered by the published seller protection policy for payment disputes?  We are seeing more and more decision reversals and sellers losing out when they meet all the criteria for protection.

Message 349 of 368
See Most Recent

There is no published seller protection policy, and hence no seller protection at all against a payment dispute for a collected item.   The collection code only protects you against an ebay case for item not received. 

There is also no seller protection against item not as described payment disputes and in most cases no requirement for the buyer to return the item.

Ebay is indeed a risky place to sell high value items.

Message 350 of 368
See Most Recent

I have just had another one of these chargebacks. It does say I am protected by Seller Protection this tiem and will not have any funds deducted, however, I still have to jump through hoops to provide info for them.

It is about time some big business, (who can afford to), take ebay to the Financial Ombudsman or someting and get this matter sorted. eBay are the Merchant, eBay took the payment, not he seller. 

eBay could solve this by going back to us all taking our own payments by PayPal personally, which would also bring back the very helpful PayPal Advance which many a small business relied on.

Message 351 of 368
See Most Recent

Thanks for the tag, papso22.

There are no reasons to not be protected in this case as a seller, so I've just referred this case to the designated team,mondeosportsfabrications.

You will be receiving an update soon on this, and the case should be decided in your favor.

Have a good one,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 352 of 368
See Most Recent

Thank you, especially as all the prior eBay advisors told me I was covered.

Message 353 of 368
See Most Recent

It had all been sorted now.

Decision reversed and have seller protection on item sold.

Moneys refunded ie nothing to pay.

Thanks for all your help in this matter.Appreciated.

Message 354 of 368
See Most Recent

I've had this happen quite a few times - it's usually 'customer does not recognise the transaction'.

BUT - a few of them were real gems because they had left positive feedback for said items.

Needless to say I won and wasn't out of pocket.

Why they heck don't they check what they've left feedback on first - chancers or just thick?

I was also lucky because the others were incredibly old (nearly a year) and eBay covered the costs.

Thankfully I don't sell high priced items.

The sooner I run out of stock the better - been downsizing the shop since 2021 and not restocking (retirement) but I'm sick of all the people who try to swindle sellers online. I've lost count of the amount of buyers I've reported to eBay but nothing happens and they keep on ripping sellers off.

Message 355 of 368
See Most Recent

Hello

I recently sold HIGH END GAMING PC for £3250 , got everyting tracked / noted  / every step of the way . I had payment dispute recently which I challanged properly but still waiting for bank / eBay response . When I noticed buyer profile was suspended straight away I contacted ebay support which confirmed I am covered as seller but few days after dispute arrivd on my ebay app . Can you guys give me any tips what should I do ? I cannot lost £3250 at this moment of time so any help is very needed !!!!!

Message 356 of 368
See Most Recent

@paulinagolak wrote:

I recently sold HIGH END GAMING PC for £3250 , got everyting tracked / noted  / every step of the way . 

Items worth over £450 are required to have a signature recorded on delivery to obtain automatic protection against "item not received" eBay cases and payment disputes. Did you send the item via a service that required a signature on delivery?

@paulinagolak wrote:

I had payment dispute recently which I challanged properly but still waiting for bank / eBay response 

What reason is shown for the dispute being filed? It will be something like "Goods not received", "Goods not as described", "Transaction not recognised" etc.

@paulinagolak wrote:

When I noticed buyer profile was suspended straight away I contacted ebay support which confirmed I am covered as seller but few days after dispute arrivd on my ebay app . 

If eBay know the buyer is dodgy they should be protecting you. However, this protection might require the signature on delivery mentioned earlier.

@paulinagolak wrote:

Can you guys give me any tips what should I do ? I cannot lost £3250 at this moment of time so any help is very needed !!!!!

If you have provided eBay with all the information they have asked for and you can't do anything further via the case/dispute you will have to wait and see what they decide. 

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 357 of 368
See Most Recent

ebay suspended that user before payment dispute was filed due to strange activity , I have tracking with signature but item was ordered by eBay buyer called Mike.S and signed by Jamal ( its like I will order item and signed as Micheal Jackson )  Yes I have POD tracking all communication etc I received Transaction not recognised as dispute on ebay . I am waiting for result 2-8 weeks but cannot sell anything as I am worried my balance is negative / will be negative after sales is done ( nothing on ebay at the moment ) 

Message 358 of 368
See Most Recent

@paulinagolak wrote:

ebay suspended that user before payment dispute was filed due to strange activity

How do you know that? Did you receive some sort of warning or notification from eBay?

@paulinagolak wrote:

I received Transaction not recognised as dispute on ebay . 

eBay really should not be passing "transaction not recognised" or "transaction not authorised" disputes on to sellers to defend but...they do. Anyway, according to eBay's payment dispute seller protections you are protected against being held liable for the refund as you have a delivery confirmation with signature. Note the required evidence is "proof that signature confirmation was purchased"; it doesn't state the signature needs to match the name on the order.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 359 of 368
See Most Recent

How do you know that? Did you receive some sort of warning or notification from eBay?

Buyer stopped responding to my messeges after deliery was done ( I supposed to help him out to set up PC )  I left it for 2 days to give him some time / maybe busy etc 

I was trying to check if buyer left me a feedback and in the same time I was trying to give him feedback for speedy payment ...  ( messege come up buyer no longer eligitable for feedback ) When I went to see his profile ( it was a red messege no longer registered user ) I spoke with ebay customer service straight away they informed me that ebay account suspended to weird activity  and insured me that I am protected as seller / nothing to worry about it ( got that in the script from ebay ) 

Message 360 of 368
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: