Payment dispute- CHARGEBACK SCAM.....SELLERS BEWARE!!!!!!

Sellers Beware of the latest scam!!! 'Payment dispute- Chargebacks ', the buyer purchases your item, then files a chargeback against the pay-pal or credit card company . The money is then taken out of your account, plus fees and you have NO recourse!!! The buyer will come up with a lame excuse, item significantly not as described, not received, etc. more of the scammers are using this payment dispute scam to get the  item and the money back , is not safe to sale on eBay anymore as eBay and PayPal are in conflict and scammers know that so they use PayPal for payment dispute and eBay can’t do  anything for you but to chargeback your account this is happening more and more. BEWARE!!!!! We will start to see a trend...

Message 1 of 369
See Most Recent
368 REPLIES 368

Re: Payment dispute- CHARGEBACK SCAM.....SELLERS BEWARE!!!!!!

A recent chargeback survey was carried out in the USA to examine the experience of buyers that had raised one or more chargebacks.  There were a number of interesting findings. 

Although just over 50% of respondents initiated the chargeback by calling the bank, just over 40% of respondents used their banking app and only 33% of respondents reported being challenged by their bank when raising the chargeback.

The top two reasons for raising the chargeback were an unrecognised transaction or being double charged.  Third, that the allowed time limit had lapsed (presumably a return window); fourth, the return process was confusing or too much work; fifth, the item didn’t match the description; sixth, the item was defective.  The order arriving late, and a change of mind were among the final reasons.

53% of the respondents have disputed a charge without contacting the merchant, and 72% thought that raising a chargeback was a valid alternative to requesting a refund from the merchant.  Among the reasons for this were that the bank offers a faster resolution (1), the bank is more understanding than a retailer (2) and that the bank requires less information than a retailer (4).

More than 80% of respondents reported being very satisfied or satisfied with their chargeback experience, and 87% said that they were more likely to dispute another charge after their initial successful experience.

When asked what warranted a chargeback, 65% agreed with the statement that late delivery was a legitimate reason.  Nearly 50% thought a family charge (e.g. child using parent’s card) was legitimate and just over 40% thought a purchase regret was valid.

This was a self-selecting survey conducted in the USA, so may not be indicative of the UK consumer market.  However, I found it to be concerning in that it appeared to indicate that chargebacks are a quick, simple, hassle free, and perfectly legitimate way of getting a refund.

Message 321 of 369
See Most Recent

Hit the nail on the head there mate , why would people do things the right way when there's a fast , next no questions asked solution that is nearly always more beneficial 🤷🏼‍♀️
im still waiting for confirmation of a successful chargeback with the buyer having cancelled an already approved return and going down the chargeback route  - then she'll be getting a knock at her door from me to collect my £340 item she thinks she's keeping after getting a  refund 

Message 322 of 369
See Most Recent

So many dodgy buyers. They are unbelievable. I had one who said she didn't like reading email instructions and would be fine if I gave her a partial refund! The email instructions are also in the product description. Don't know yet if she will go for the full refund since she can in any case as she can just say "faulty " even though it isn't and she has admitted in an email that she will settle for a partial refund. Basically, she is aiming at the product for less or losing the lot syndrome.

Message 323 of 369
See Most Recent

I had my first chargeback claim in November, it was filed as buyer didn't recognise the transaction. I countered it by saying the item was dispatched to the customer's on file address. Didn't think I stood a chance and then a couple of days ago I got the message that the buyer's financial institution found in my favour! Was not expecting that!

Message 324 of 369
See Most Recent

That is the only protection sellers have against chargebacks 

If you can prove delivery then you will win the chargeback

Make sure you keep proof of delivery for at least  6 months to protect you against chargebacks 

Message 325 of 369
See Most Recent

That's not true
Message 326 of 369
See Most Recent

Unless of course the address the buyer has registered with eBay isn't the same as the one registered with the bank , in which case it's still an instant loss ............ every seller protection on eBay is full of holes 

Message 327 of 369
See Most Recent

I should point out that would be eBay's loss not the seller - as long as you don't violate any of the numerous guidelines to keep yourself protected x 

Message 328 of 369
See Most Recent

@warren-1200510 wrote:

Unless of course the address the buyer has registered with eBay isn't the same as the one registered with the bank , in which case it's still an instant loss ............ every seller protection on eBay is full of holes 

Have you read the seller protection section of the payment dispute policy?  

Ebay protects you if you have evidence of delivery to the address the buyer used at checkout.  It doesn't matter if that's different to the address the buyer has registered with the financial institution.   Or if it's different to the registered address on the ebay account.

Message 329 of 369
See Most Recent

@andrewsbikeadvert wrote:
That's not true

In what way is that not true?

Message 330 of 369
See Most Recent

Got one going on right now.

Sold iPhone 10th Nov last year.

Sent Special delivery day after.Buyer signed for item and was delivered....to the registered address on ebay.

2 weeks later buyer filed dispute saying transaction not recognised.

9 weeks later ebay have reversed seller protection and have asked for £800 from my account WITHOUT sending back the original item from the buyer.

All delivery details were submitted on the dispute including item delivered and signed for on theyre own ebay website.

Dispute was in favour of buyer said ebay and now NOT covered by seller protection,so ebay themselves have reversed all seller protection.

So...basically ebay are asking £800 to be refunded without the item being returned.

Work that one out..........

Message 331 of 369
See Most Recent

I took me from Sept 22 until Dec 2023 to get my money back

I involved police and Financial Conduct Authhority.

It cost me 2k in legal fees.
Message 332 of 369
See Most Recent

Have they told you why you are not covered by the published seller protection policy for payment disputes?

I assume by registered address you mean the address the buyer used at checkout?

Items of that value have to be sent by a signed for service, which you did.

This reversal of refunds in contravention of published seller protection has become more common but needs to be challenged.  You are entitled to rely on the protection ebay says you have, and there is nothing in there about reversals.

Message 333 of 369
See Most Recent

I am pretty certain that after 15 months I've explored every idea someone
here may have had. The FCA sorted it.

You are not protected when a buyer uses a CC, eBay claim they are then just
a payment processor and defer to the CC decision and do not challenge it
Message 334 of 369
See Most Recent

Nope,apparently its still under review.

ALL delivery details were given in response to dispute.

Item sent to address registered on eBay and sellers account,next day.

Buyer went straight to payment institution without going thru ebay 2 weeks after they signed for the item.

Looks like ebay have helped this buyer scam me and have obviously found a loophole in the payment dispute system.

Cut a long story short ive got to pay back the £800 without ever getting item returned to me.

Message 335 of 369
See Most Recent

Whats a CC?

Message 336 of 369
See Most Recent

Contact financial conduct authority
Message 337 of 369
See Most Recent

Credit card
Message 338 of 369
See Most Recent

You haven't confirmed you sent to the address the buyer used at checkout.  That may not be the ebay registered address. 

If you confirm that I will tag one of the ebay reps that operate on here and they might be able to help, or at least explain why you don't qualify for seller protection. 

Message 339 of 369
See Most Recent

Yes sorry item sent to address at checkout,ie the address on file for the buyer when paid.

Message 340 of 369
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: