How do I create a VAT invoice for a buyer?

I am a recently VAT registered seller and so now I'm obligated to provide VAT invoices on request. How do i do this? I know there was once a way to do it through PayPal when the two were combined, but now that we get paid through eBay payments, I have no idea how to do this. PLEASE HELP!

Message 1 of 23
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @mad_cameras, thanks for your post.

I'm afraid currently there is no way to get an invoice including VAT number directly on eBay.

As for the VAT approval, while you have added a valid number, please double-check your details to ensure that the Registered Business name on the VAT ID does match the Company name on eBay account. Those details need to match in full. 

Thanks,

Anita

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 23
See Most Recent
22 REPLIES 22

Have you provided eBay with your VAT number here?

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 2 of 23
See Most Recent

Thank you for replying. Yes I can see my VAT number when I click through the link you sent. When I look at a specific order I can see a generic invoice which has the VAT on but it doesnt have my VAT number on it, which I'm assuming they need?

Message 3 of 23
See Most Recent

The odd thing is your VAT number should show in your seller profile and in the "Business seller information" section of your listings but it doesn't. Your listings do show the "I provide invoices with VAT separately displayed" bit that normally only appears when a seller is VAT registered.

How long ago did you receive your VAT number? Does it show the correct information on HMRC's website?

Message 4 of 23
See Most Recent

I got my VAT certificate on the first of Dec, so only 3 weeks ago. I've just double checked my VAT number on the link you sent and it shows as registered. The name and address is all correct and matches everything on eBay. I don't understand why it's not showing

Message 5 of 23
See Most Recent

I suspect this isn't the problem but at the very bottom of this page is the "Show VAT ID number on invoices" box checked?

Message 6 of 23
See Most Recent

Screenshot 2023-12-20 165321.png

Yes, I have this box ticked. Mind boggling

Message 7 of 23
See Most Recent

I have no idea then, it certainly doesn't seem to be due to anything you have or haven't done.

anita@ebay - I think this is something you need to pass on to the correct team.

Message 8 of 23
See Most Recent

Thank you for all your help anyway, I am on eBay chat now. Hopefully they can shed some light on this  for me!

Message 9 of 23
See Most Recent

Hi

Unfortunately ,we sellers have long ask for a VAT invoice to be able to be downloaded directly from Ebay but they haven`t responded .Although if you are a Chinese seller then your customer can download a VAT  invoice  from Ebay at any time.

There is no easy way around this problem apart from using third party software or send one by mail.The other option is to photo the invoice and send them a picture .

I Know it`s pathetic but .....blah blah blah

Message 10 of 23
See Most Recent

I'm afraid currently there is no way to get an invoice including VAT number directly on eBay.

As for the VAT approval, while you have added a valid number, please double-check your details to ensure that the Registered Business name on the VAT ID does match the Company name on eBay account. Those details need to match in full. 

Thanks,

Anita

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
Message 11 of 23
See Most Recent

anita@ebay wrote:

There's no way for a buyer to download a VAT invoice but a seller can generate one using "Print invoices and more" from "Orders". There are even options for altering the sequential numbering scheme that will be used by these invoices and for adding an alphanumeric prefix:

ebayvatinvoice.png

However...I've noticed a problem. It seems a valid VAT invoice can only be generated if the item was delivered. If the item was collected in person the VAT number and the seller's registered business details are missing from the "invoice" meaning it doesn't qualify as a valid VAT invoice. I suspect this is an oversight rather than being by intentional design.

Message 12 of 23
See Most Recent

As a seller we always supply a copy of the invoice within the order. We also use that as a picking list for the products purchased and mark on it what items are included as a way of double checking the correct items are sent. It only take s a few monments ot print one copy of the days invoices.

Message 13 of 23
See Most Recent

The lack of available VAT invoices for buyers is a PITA too.

Each month when doing our accounts, items we buy from eBay like bubble wrap and cardboard boxes rarely have an invoice shipped with them, so we have to print it from eBay but it's never a valid VAT invoice.

Later this year when we are VAT registered I'll have to buy items from elsewhere (like Amazon) who always provide a VAT invoice when buying from a VAT-registered seller.

It's too time-consuming and error-prone to contact sellers each month to provide VAT invoices so that I can complete my bookkeeping.

Message 14 of 23
See Most Recent

Each month when doing our accounts, items we buy from eBay like bubble wrap and cardboard boxes rarely have an invoice shipped with them, so we have to print it from eBay but it's never a valid VAT invoice.

Assuming you have bought from VAT registered businesses, in what way is the printed invoice not a valid VAT invoice?

Message 15 of 23
See Most Recent

@papso22 wrote:

Assuming you have bought from VAT registered businesses, in what way is the printed invoice not a valid VAT invoice?

Because what you print from eBay is only an order confirmation and not does not satisfy HMRC requirements for VAT accounting. It doesn't even satisfy HMRC requirements for any tax accounting whatsoever, as it does not say who the seller is...

The order confirmation you can print from eBay doesn't even have any of the seller's details on it other than eBay user ID.
You get basically this as below, though I have redacted most of the information from it.

order_confirmation_example.jpg

We have had a lot of issues in relation to sellers not providing VAT invoices, that are a statutory requirement.
As such, we hardly buy anything here any more as it is too much hassle trying to get VAT invoices from sellers. I agree with another posters sentiments that it is easier to just use Amazon as you can just download and save or print your invoices for your orders easy as you like.

When messaging sellers on here to try and get a VAT invoice, you would literally think you are asking for something ridiculous and the excuses you get are unreal, if you are lucky enough to even get a reply.
Total waste of time asking so it is easier to just buy stuff elsewhere as it is less hassle.

We however send a printed VAT invoice with every single item we sell, as the buyer is entitled to this irrespective of their VAT status.

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
- Albert Einstein
Message 16 of 23
See Most Recent

anita@ebay wrote:

Thanks,

Anita

There is no way to do this as a buyer.

The title for the thread does say how to create a VAT invoice for a buyer though, rather than as a buyer?

To make a VAT invoice for a buyer, as a seller, you click on the order on a PC. You get the order confirmation page and at the just right of middle, you get a box that says "more actions"
Click that and pick "print invoices and more"

You get a pop up at below:

order_print.jpg

Then click the "customise" and you get a pop up where you can check that you have everything chosen to show on the invoice, such as your VAT ID and the VAT details

Check you have everything filled out there, else it will not show on your invoice.
Kinda shame that you need to click on that customise button to set some of it up, yet it is not obviously a button to click to do that.

HTH

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
- Albert Einstein
Message 17 of 23
See Most Recent

@ducatimondo wrote:

To make a VAT invoice for a buyer, as a seller, you click on the order on a PC. You get the order confirmation page and at the just right of middle, you get a box that says "more actions"
Click that and pick "print invoices and more"

You get a pop up at below:

order_print.jpg

Then click the "customise" and you get a pop up where you can check that you have everything chosen to show on the invoice, such as your VAT ID and the VAT details

Check you have everything filled out there, else it will not show on your invoice.

Except...it doesn't work if the buyer collects in person. Even after clicking the "customise" option and selecting the required options the document generated does not show the seller's details, no VAT number etc:

ebay-vat.png

Even the "Invoice for your own records" option doesn't create a valid VAT invoice if the buyer has collected in person.

Message 18 of 23
See Most Recent

Only VAT registered buyers will need VAT invoices of course ...

@mad_cameras 

Message 19 of 23
See Most Recent

Yes if course. It was a VAT registered business buying from me. I created mynown VAT invoice template in the end as it had already been mentioned previously, they can't be created through eBay. Thanks

Message 20 of 23
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: