Being Spam Reported

one of my ebay listings keeps getting taken down for not following "contact information policy" this is because i have a card with my ebay name on, which many other sellers do and i use purley so my photos dont get stolen, this listing, as it is very powerful for the product i am selling, keeps getting taken down for no reason, ebay support is absolutely useless in helping, seems customer service has been outsourced to a different country nowadays as they all no clue what they are talking about, i miss the days when i could get some actual help on the phone 

Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

Being Spam Reported

It doesn't matter what other people are doing, you are not permitted to display your contact details anywhere on the listing except for in the Business Seller information section.

You will lose your account if you continue.

Whatboutery isn't a reason to break the rules

Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

Being Spam Reported

This link explains eBay's policy 

"

Members are generally not allowed to include contact information in public content on eBay.

This applies to listings, eBay Shop pages, and eBay community content including blogs, reviews, and guides.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is considered contact information?

Contact information can include emails, phone numbers, full physical addresses, and online chat IDs.

Are there special requirements for business sellers?

Yes, the rules for business sellers are slightly different. Please read more below."

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/selling-policies/contact-information-listings-policy?id=4712#:~...

Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

Being Spam Reported

yeah please read what i said there is no contact info its just a card with my ebay name on it so my photos dont get ripped

Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

Being Spam Reported

Again, it is not permitted

When you upload photos to eBay they become property of eBay and are can be added, by eBay to the eBay catalogue which makes the photo available for all users

You agree to this when you sign up to sell on eBay

Your photos cease to be yours for your exclusive use - you cannot "stop other people from using them". It is a condition of using eBay to sell that your photos become available for all sellers to use.

If you do not agree to this, you must close your account and remove all images you uploaded.

eBay do not want your business card in the photo as it will prevent the photos being used by others.

Allowing photos to be used by others is a condition of selling on eBay

This is why they are removing your listings 

Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

Being Spam Reported

This explains the policy 

"What should I do if my image, video or text is being used by another seller?

When you create listings you give eBay and its customers permission, through our User Agreement, to use your images, videos and product details. Your content may be added to the eBay product catalogue, and may be used by other sellers in their eBay listings." 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/listing-policies/images-text-policy?id=4240

Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

Being Spam Reported

This is the listing policy 

What is the policy?

The following are not allowed:

• Photos that don't accurately represent the item
  • Placeholder images used to convey messages
  • Stock photos for used, damaged, or defective items
  • Photos with added borders
  • Photos with added text, artwork or marketing material
  • Watermarks of any type, including those used for ownership attributions

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/listing-policies/picture-policy?id=4370 

Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

Being Spam Reported

To be fair, some of your listing photos have a 'UK sneaker box' card in them showing both a website and Instagram address. That goes way beyond watermarking your photos with a card in view. It's doing that which might well have put your listings on eBay's radar to begin with and is why you are having listings taken down for 'no reason'. 

Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

Being Spam Reported

Watermarking photos is not permitted on eBay for the reasons explained above 

Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

Being Spam Reported

@myriad*seller wrote:

Watermarking photos is not permitted on eBay for the reasons explained above 

It was stated by eBay a while back that although that remains in their policy they would no longer be enforcing it.

If that's no longer the case and it's changed back to being enforced then it needs a rep to confirm or deny any change to that.

Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

Being Spam Reported

Certainly that's likely the case as it's too much for them to police. 

However as you can see in OP's listings, it's not as innocent as they say with a logo watermark business card. They have multiple listings with the other side of the card showing, one with Instagram handle and website which is absolutely against eBay terms for other reasons (such as encouraging off eBay sales). 

Either OP is trying to do another listing with that side of the card showing, or they've dug themselves a hole by bringing attention on themselves with showing this side of the card and some algorithm or auto bot is auto removing said listing (instead of removing their listings which show the Instagram and website, we all know eBay's programmers aren't up to scratch so it could be the bot is flagging and removing the wrong thing). 

It seems they've removed said listings now. 

Ultimately though eBay still has those listings in the sold history and it was pointless because the domain only goes to a holding page, perhaps with plans to set up a website in future and build traffic there for now. Fruitless really because any business thinking of going it alone would need to be big big to have the slightest chance of success via an independent website. A quick setup on a free/almost free platform won't cut it these days. It would require dealing with the beast of Magento or similar and that would require a good wad of notes if someone's coding isn't up to scratch (even the best fall foul to a jock...I mean.... Boot..strap error with coding)

Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

Being Spam Reported

yeah that business card with the instagram and website on is not allowed so i dont mind those being taken down, the instagram and website have both been changed since i took those photos, my issue was just that i have a card with just my ebay name on it, which loads of other sellers are doing, such as his HUGE seller in my niche (https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/onthemap) so they obviously arent having any problems with it, i have taken down all the photos with any business card in for now, will be annoying to see every seller in my niche with my exact photos, and makes it feel like me spending £100 on a lightbox for photos completely pointless,
i do have my own website so hopefully soon i wont be entirely relying on this platform

Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

Being Spam Reported

The business card infraction is directly related to the Watermarking policy, (see above) so the fact that OPs listings have been removed for breaching policy suggests that was CS told you was.... what you wanted to hear

Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

Being Spam Reported

@myriad*seller wrote:

CS told you was.... what you wanted to hear

CS told me nothing, it was posted.

Looking at the pictures this isn't about a simple watermark, it's about contact details. The .com part.

Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

Being Spam Reported

Same issue in my niche, to be honest. There's one seller who has a business card in every photo, a watermark on every photo, and even goes as far as to have their Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube in their item description - complete with the full address.

Report them and you get the AI telling you that the listing isn't against eBay's rules.

Then I put the web address (not a link, just the address) to a help guide for a product in my item description, and it gets taken down for falling foul of the linking policy. And heaven forbid I do something as simple as trying to explain our policy on Best Offers in the description ("if we make a counter-offer, please be aware that is our FINAL OFFER" is all I tried to say.) Turns out the word "offer" triggers all the alarms as eBay think you're trying to discuss making off-site offers.

Bet the aforementioned competitor could get away with it, though.

Message 15 of 16
See Most Recent

Being Spam Reported

You can still stand out from the crowd really. You're business account registered, have 30 days returns policy and have the logo on your profile picture. 

A touch up of your description format with some imagery there perhaps and that will provide a huge advantage. 

Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: