20% off fees for a year?

Some folks in a group I'm in have been offered 20% (some more) off fees for a year if they sign a contract saying they won't sell anywhere else like Vinted or Depop for a year.

They are all clothing sellers.

I might start selling my everything stuff on Vinted, it's really not fair. 

Private account sellers get all the deals,

Message 1 of 44
See Most Recent
43 REPLIES 43

20% off fees for a year?

@cotswold_curations wrote:

Some folks in a group I'm in have been offered 20% (some more) off fees for a year if they sign a contract saying they won't sell anywhere else like Vinted or Depop for a year.

Sounds like ebay are a little scared.

20% discount is not particularly generous

Message 2 of 44
See Most Recent

20% off fees for a year?

If legit..... eBay take note. We are not only going to be selling on depop and vinted very soon, as well as starting our own website to not sell on eBay anymore full stop. We'll take the 20% for now....

*Tumbleweed* hello? Anyone there?..... Ah I see, eBay would rather lose out entirely on around 13k of fees a year instead of letting us pay 2k less in fees to keep us on board. 

Anyway, how would they enforce it? If true the supposed contract would be worthless in law. 

Message 3 of 44
See Most Recent

20% off fees for a year?

I'll take 20%. I paid around 10k in fees last year... I'd rather pay 8.

Message 4 of 44
See Most Recent

20% off fees for a year?

I don't think they need to worry about depop, they seem to be on a self destruct mission. But anyway, on depop, unless registered as a limited company I don't believe the business details are shown and who knows how vinted will display seller details on vinted pro? I think I read somewhere that they won't be shown until the buyer places an order. It will be very difficult for eBay to monitor which business sellers breached their contract and nigh on impossible with a private seller. 

Message 5 of 44
See Most Recent

20% off fees for a year?

So Ebay are offering 20% off fee's for a year, if they sign a contract saying they won't list elsewhere, ok, so their going to reward sellers for not doing something they shouldn't be doing in the first place, because one of Ebays rules is that anything listed here, shouldn't be listed elsewhere 🤔

As pointed out as well, how do they police that one, they can't police half of what goes on at the moment!

Message 6 of 44
See Most Recent

20% off fees for a year?

@*knight-rider* wrote:

So Ebay are offering 20% off fee's for a year, if they sign a contract saying they won't list elsewhere, ok, so their going to reward sellers for not doing something they shouldn't be doing in the first place, because one of Ebays rules is that anything listed here, shouldn't be listed elsewhere 🤔

As pointed out as well, how do they police that one, they can't police half of what goes on at the moment!

I read it to mean you can't sell anything at all on other sites. Nothing to do with existing rules.

So you can't sell item A on Ebay and item B on depop and item C on Vinted  because A B and C should only be sold on Ebay

Message 7 of 44
See Most Recent

20% off fees for a year?

*waves frantically*

Hello eBay...... 😀

Message 8 of 44
See Most Recent

20% off fees for a year?

Business sellers shouldn't be on Vinted in the first place. 

Vinted will close your account without warning if they find out you are a business - and they scan accounts for tell-tale signs like selling a lot of the same thing or all/mostly BNWT items.

Of course if you're selling (for example) used/vintage stuff there's no way they could tell. Just like ebay wouldn't be able to tell if you sell on vinted or depop if you used a different username and different pictures for items.

Message 9 of 44
See Most Recent

20% off fees for a year?

"I don't think they need to worry about depop, they seem to be on a self destruct mission" - How so?

"and who knows how vinted will display seller details on vinted pro? " - Vinted pro isn't available in the UK. If you have a Vinted UK account and you're selling as a business on there, VInted will delete your account.

There are warnings about this when you list items: "A professional seller posing as a consumer or a non-professional on Vinted may be liable under the Fraud Act 2006. It is illegal under The Fraud Act 2006 to dishonestly make a false representation and intend to make a gain for themselves or another or cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss."

Although that warning could well be just scare tactics - who is the "another" losing out here?

Message 10 of 44
See Most Recent

20% off fees for a year?

Depop made it so you have to use integrated Evri shipping. Can't remember exactly but if you can still use custom, you basically have no protection even if you can prove delivery. I also heard they were going to be charging buyers a fee at checkout. I'm not that invested in it, I have an account but don't list new items as over the last few years some decisions they made don't make sense to me. 

Vinted pro is coming. There's a form ready online, looked like a draft version when I looked as I couldn't proceed past my address. Once I can sign up I'm going over there. 

Message 11 of 44
See Most Recent

20% off fees for a year?

I have just read this back, I am painting a landing and very tired so only skim read your message... I'm not sure what you mean re the 'another' point?

Regarding depop, there are other issues with the site going downhill but I'd rather not get into it on here. People who use it will know the frustrations with it. 

I do have a vinted account but it is personal only. I'd love to list over there it is so easy but am just waiting like a lot of other sellers who want to sell on there full time but are waiting to do it legitimately. 

Message 12 of 44
See Most Recent

20% off fees for a year?

Where in the policies does it say you can't sell elsewhere? I think they may of tried this a long time ago but competition laws are not allowed to state things like this. Companies can't even tell you what price you have to sell at or they can get find a percentage of turnover. 

Message 13 of 44
See Most Recent

20% off fees for a year?

I think Vinted have just announced they are accepting business sellers in the UK soon

Message 14 of 44
See Most Recent

20% off fees for a year?

Things must be getting bad.

We've been told for years that if you list on ebay you cant list the same anywhere else.  IMO a misinterpretation of a bit of clever wording by ebay.

But after at least ten years ebay has caught up with the fact that if they want Sole Agency it's Standard Market Practice to give a fee discount to get it and not try to rely on fear.

Message 15 of 44
See Most Recent

20% off fees for a year?

Ebay aren't talking about listing the same items. They are requesting contractual exclusive relationships with sellers to not list anything anywhere else. 

Message 16 of 44
See Most Recent

20% off fees for a year?

What irritates me is there are scattergun perks being sent out. Some private sellers get free fees until April, some business sellers get 20% off fees for a year like this one and others don't get a carrot. 

I have thousands of pounds of stock to list on eBay and I can't be bothered as psychologically they make me feel like I am being mugged off. Maybe I shouldn't read this forum and I wouldn't know about it and more fool me maybe for just breaking even on my shop fee and basic expenses each month but at the moment my enthusiasm for eBay is at an all time low. If they were more fair with their offers for everyone I would have a better feeling about it on here. 

Message 17 of 44
See Most Recent

20% off fees for a year?

@returns_andexdisplay wrote:

I think Vinted have just announced they are accepting business sellers in the UK soon

Good news. We'll be packing up entirely and going there when it happens (if our website isn't finished and launched by then)

Message 18 of 44
See Most Recent

20% off fees for a year?

It'll be interesting to see what ebay does next. We've seen free selling for some private sellers, the removal of listing limits, and now this in quick succession. ebay's clearly reacting to a problem. I wonder how many sellers have already been scared off by the new tax regulations.

Message 19 of 44
See Most Recent

20% off fees for a year?

It seems so - just had a look at the Vinted Pro signup form and they appear to want a business number from Companies House or whatever. I'm a self-employed sole trader so I don't have that - am I simply not going to be eligible?

Message 20 of 44
See Most Recent