Why is ebay supporting animal cruelty through its sale of fur coats?

Namely the array of fur coats and other garments made from chinchilla, rabbit and fox etc. I am amazed ebay is supporting one of the cruellest industries on the planet. I assume it has no sense of ethics. Not only does auto-fill assist the search for these products, but also items specifics for "Material" and "Fur Type" are present to aid the seller! To be clear these are not sold as antiques, but new products.

Is ebay unaware of the cramped cages and squalid conditions in which these animals are so often kept on "farms" or are they only concerned as a business with legal compliance because the animals are not on the endangered red list?  Then again, how else could a trader have got away with selling endangered animal fur coats made from leopards, ocelots, wolves and lynx before police charged him in Sept. 2018.

Message 1 of 35
See Most Recent
34 REPLIES 34

@emc1477 wrote:

Namely the array of fur coats and other garments made from chinchilla, rabbit and fox etc. I am amazed ebay is supporting one of the cruellest industries on the planet. I assume it has no sense of ethics. Not only does auto-fill assist the search for these products, but also items specifics for "Material" and "Fur Type" are present to aid the seller! To be clear these are not sold as antiques, but new products.

Is ebay unaware of the cramped cages and squalid conditions in which these animals are so often kept on "farms" or are they only concerned as a business with legal compliance because the animals are not on the endangered red list?  Then again, how else could a trader have got away with selling endangered animal fur coats made from leopards, ocelots, wolves and lynx before police charged him in Sept. 2018.

They are allowing the sales of these legally sold items because they are legal!

Just because some people dont like fur coats why should ebay stop allowing them to be sold to people who do want to but them?

You only option is if you dont agree with ebays policies dont use ebay anymore!

Message 2 of 35
See Most Recent

OP

I suppose the bigger questions are:

1. Why are you supporting a site that supports something you're so diametrically opposed to?

2. What about the poor fish that will be caught by whoever buys your how to fish book?

Nobody ever cares about the fish.

Message 3 of 35
See Most Recent

I can assure you that the Responders so far on your Thread are the best of the best and are held in high regard on here. @emc1477
Message 4 of 35
See Most Recent

I too absolutely hate  fur and the cruelty involved especially when it comes from China.

However I think the issue has to be talen up with the law rather than eBay. It isn't against the law to sell or buy fur which is the reason it's sold in the first place. 

You could try lobbying eBay about it, maybe if enough people complain they may change their policies, you can always hope.

******************************************************************************************
Powered by cats Cat Happy
Message 5 of 35
See Most Recent

Obviously you're joking, especially when someone says the ONLY option if you disagree with ebays policies is not to use it anymore. 

I assume ebay doesn't care either as long as it keeps making a profit: the situation that allowed convicted trader Timothy Norris to continue selling coats and scarves made from ocelots, leopards, lynxs and wolves.

Ebay is out of step in an age where most shops and fashion chains have ditched fur thanks to successful complaints and protests highlighting the cruelty involved.

Message 6 of 35
See Most Recent

@emc1477 wrote:

Obviously you're joking, especially when someone says the ONLY option if you disagree with ebays policies is not to use it anymore. 

That's not what I said.

I said, by all means complain about policies to try and get them changed but the moment you start to believe a company operates in an unethical or morally unacceptable manner then by continuing to use their services you're trading your own ethics for convenience.

It's not really a hard concept to grasp.

Message 7 of 35
See Most Recent

I wasn't responding to your reply, though I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same person using different User ID's.

Message 8 of 35
See Most Recent

@emc1477 wrote:

I wasn't responding to your reply, though I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same person using different User ID's.

There's only one of us here.

I blame Brexit.

Message 9 of 35
See Most Recent

It doesn't really matter who you were replying to, more than one poster has posed the same question to which you have not provided a clear response.

Why do you continue to support ebay as a seller and a buyer if you have a problem with their ethics?

Every time you buy or sell an item you are putting money into ebay's pockets, you do realise that don't you?

Merry Everything & A Happy Always 🙂
Message 10 of 35
See Most Recent

@emc1477

Of course the other alternative to the wonderful Willslock and I being the same poster using two accounts is that more than one person has an opinion that differs to yours.

But hey, that would be crazy - right?

Message 11 of 35
See Most Recent

Tormented has been an Ebay Member a lot longer than me @emc1477  I only joined in 2003.

Message 12 of 35
See Most Recent

Smiley Indifferent  Smiley LOL

Message 13 of 35
See Most Recent

@ruby*tuesday wrote:

Tormented has been an Ebay Member a lot longer than me @emc1477  I only joined in 2003.

Careful, you'll invoke emoticons from those who've never quite been able to grasp the concept that there's a world outside the eBay boards and that quite a lot of us know each other in those weird and wonderful galaxies too.

Message 14 of 35
See Most Recent

Oooh, yet again a topic I agree with (the fur trade should be outlawed) but the way it's posed is offensive. If all you can do is accuse those who've joined your discussion of being dupes then you've already lost any support.

Thing is, I'd wager a good number of regulars on here feel the same about fur. You however aren't going to get any kind of meaningful debate on it if you're just accusing folk of stuff?

How about you talk about how you can still use eBay to make money, but are so vehemently against their "ethics"?
Message 15 of 35
See Most Recent

@emc1477 wrote:

Hmmm! now you mention it, I've never seen them both in the same room.Man Frustrated

****************************************************************************************

A consignment of geriatric shoe manufacturers.
Message 16 of 35
See Most Recent

@ruby*tuesday wrote:

You're a 'newbie' willslock!

Message 17 of 35
See Most Recent

@emc1477 wrote: Then again, how else could a trader have got away with selling endangered animal fur coats made from leopards, ocelots, wolves and lynx before police charged him in Sept. 2018.

How do you know ebay didnt help get him charged? Man Indifferent

Message 18 of 35
See Most Recent

@emc1477 wrote:

Ebay is out of step in an age where most shops and fashion chains have ditched fur thanks to successful complaints and protests highlighting the cruelty involved.

I don't know if you're old enough to remember the 1980s and 1990s, but the major reason why a lot of these complaints and protests were so "successful", was their bombing campaign to "highlight the cruelty involved".

They petrol-bombed the shops - charity shops and department stores, fixed bombs to the cars of those who worked in the shops, businesses and universities that they disapproved of, and sent letter bombs in the post.

That may meet your definition of a "successful" ethical campaign.

It meets my definition of a terrorist campaign.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 19 of 35
See Most Recent

@emc1477 wrote:

They'll be the shops and chains that still sell fur but lie and say its faux? Man Frustrated

https://news.sky.com/story/real-animal-fur-sold-as-fake-on-british-high-street-10832370

Message 20 of 35
See Most Recent