Who was your first live band?

Inspired by comments on another thread, I thought this might be a bit of fun, and nostalgia, in the run up to Xmas 🙂

So, to kick it off:

Tyrannosaurus Rex (before they abbreviated to T-Rex), 1969, Guildford Civic Hall.

Tickets were 10s (50p) but they over sold, and ran out of space, so had to sit me, and around 40/50 others, on chairs along the back of the stage! Magic 🙂

Over promise, then under deliver = negative buyer experience, INR cases, unhappy buyers and sellers.
Under promise, then over deliver = Positive buyer experience, joy and happiness all round. 
If only eBay could get their heads round this basic concept, this would be a happier place for all.
Message 1 of 17
See Most Recent
16 REPLIES 16

the stranglers Guildford Civic hall about 1976!

Message 2 of 17
See Most Recent

@pixiesen2012 wrote:

the stranglers Guildford Civic hall about 1976!

Small world! I was living over Byfleet way then... you?

Over promise, then under deliver = negative buyer experience, INR cases, unhappy buyers and sellers.
Under promise, then over deliver = Positive buyer experience, joy and happiness all round. 
If only eBay could get their heads round this basic concept, this would be a happier place for all.
Message 3 of 17
See Most Recent

rosliston
Conversationalist

From memory was The Walker Brothers approximately 1964 at Stourbridge Town Hall. The Entrance Fee was just a couple of Shillings I think?

They were amazing.

Message 4 of 17
See Most Recent

Ripley

Message 5 of 17
See Most Recent

My brain is a bit fuddled on this one, probably due to the type of music I used to listen too, one notable early one was with a friend to see Robert Plant in Band of Joy it was a one off national gig, in the late 1980's. The biggest drum kit I have ever seen! Otherwise Pink Floyd at the old Wembley stadium, and Genesis in 1987.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 6 of 17
See Most Recent

Oh, just down the road then. I used to be a regular in The Ship.

Message 7 of 17
See Most Recent

the White Hart was my watering hole, played darts for them even when I was underage as my dad was the team captain!

Message 8 of 17
See Most Recent

Family, featuring Roger Chapman and Rick Grech and Blossom Toes at the Top Rank Suite Watford 21st February 1969.

There may have been earlier ones, but as they say, if you can remember it, you weren't there.

I do remember this for several reasons

1) The Top Rank in Watford was well known for mindless violence, skinheads, expensive Double Diamond and extremely aggressive bouncers. You had to wear a tie to get in

2) It was introduced by John Peel

3) The Top Rank management and staff had absolutely no idea how to deal with several dozen hippies turning up for a concert, probably because nobody tried to glass anybody

4) A local geezer had raided the local department store (Clements) and taken arm fulls of ties to hand out to those who arrived tieless and wouldn't be allowed in.

5) Both bands were excellent

6) At precicesly 11.30, in the middle of "The Weaver's Answer" all the lights went on, the stage started to revolve and we were "instructed" to leave.

I've had better evenings, to be fair I've had a lot worse, but it has stayed with me ever since.

Message 9 of 17
See Most Recent

Foghat... roughly 1970.

Message 10 of 17
See Most Recent

For a "Conversationalist" that's pretty sparce... #justsaying 

Message 11 of 17
See Most Recent

My first ever live concert was to see the late great Gene Pitney at the Finsbury Astoria.

The Troggs were special guests.

Sadly I also saw Gene on his very last tour to UK in 2006 before his untimely death in Cardiff  during that same tour.

Message 12 of 17
See Most Recent

Ah... the posh end of town 😉

Spent many an evening in there too; it was a bit more salubrious than the Ship, so more in keeping if my wife was with me. We very likely crossed paths then.

Message 13 of 17
See Most Recent

Robin Trower / John Miles at Mancs Free Trade Hall

Message 14 of 17
See Most Recent

I can not remember in what order I saw them, but in 1973 at the Liverpool Playhouse and the Royal Court Theatre, I saw David Bowie, (Ziggy Tour), Pink Floyd and Rod Stewart/Faces. Saw them mainly due to the people I knew at the time. I am a big Bowie fan and seeing him live was spellbinding and awesome.  Rod made everyone get up and bop. I never did like Pink Floyd and they left me cold.

Later in life, I saw Michael Jackson, T-Pau and Paul McCartney at least three times. 

Message 15 of 17
See Most Recent

I also used to love seeing Gene Pitney, we were due to see him in Tunbridge Wells but he died a few days before getting there.

Dare I say the first live band I saw was Gary Glitter and Glitterband at Alexandra Park, Hastings, about 1974. Name not to be mentioned now!

Message 16 of 17
See Most Recent

This makes me sound ancient, but I saw Eartha Kitt in Manchester in 1970. She was as fabulous as you would expect, and great value for money.

After that I saw a lot of the 60s bands who played locally, The Searchers, Billy J Kramer, The Moody Blues, great days.

******************************************************************************************