Tory leadership?

OK, how about saying who your preferred winner would be and predicting who will eventually win?

I'd prefer Leadsom but I think May will probably win.

Just for once..... is it possible to just stick to the topic? rant

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 84
See Most Recent
83 REPLIES 83

Tory leadership?

There is only one exit door that most Brexiteers are interested in going through...the one that says 'an end to the free movement of people'. Anything less is unacceptable.

Message 41 of 84
See Most Recent

Tory leadership?

I find it hard to believe that ALL trade deals take at least 2 years to negotiate, I wouldn't be surprised if that's just an EU thing; once again caused by it being necessary to get agreement from ALL 27 ( now ) member states ( the monster trundles on at a snails pace ). That being the case, while we are negotiating to leave the EU; a separate government department should be negotiating trade deals with Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, India, Japan, China, etc. etc. So that if the EU play hardball, at the same time one set of trade deals cease; the others start immediately. The 20% of German Cars that are sold to us ( for example ), can instantly be replaced by Japanese Cars; every bit as good and reliable and that applies to just about everything else we get from the EU............where there's a will........there IS a way......and over 17 million people say there IS a will.

Message 42 of 84
See Most Recent

Tory leadership?

>> #42: I find it hard to believe that ALL trade deals take at least 2 years to negotiate, I wouldn't be surprised if that's just an EU thing...

>> "You don't need trade deals to do trade...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leKEUT1TiLU&t=392

Message 43 of 84
See Most Recent

Tory leadership?

@baybizz wrote:

>> #42: I find it hard to believe that ALL trade deals take at least 2 years to negotiate, I wouldn't be surprised if that's just an EU thing...

>> "You don't need trade deals to do trade...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leKEUT1TiLU&t=392

As the Professor in your link says, if we bought all our imports on the World market without imposing any tariffs then overall our cost of living would immediately fall by 8%

What wasn't mentioned though was how we earn the money to pay for those imports.  Without a trade deal with Japan for instance then any exports into that country would attract import duty at the WTO rate which may be considerably higher than could be negotiated in a trade deal.

I can understand his point regarding the service industries which could possibly survive a higher relative world price but I don't understand how it would work with goods.  His report showing a benefit to the UK by being outside the EU is based on the assumption that the UK would not impose any tariffs on goods coming into the country no matter what tariffs we faced on exports.

Professor Minford was asked on the BBC Daily Politics show what would happen to Jaguar workers if their car sales into Europe for instance faced a tariff but Mercedes entering this country didn't - his only answer was that cars would be cheaper! - I'm not sure how that would work seeing as there isn't currently any tariff in either direction.

Message 44 of 84
See Most Recent

Tory leadership?

May be it's just me, but I'm amazed at how many people know SO little about SO much. If they have to make a decision about something, you'd think they'd find out as much about it as they could; wouldn't you. If it was their JOB, you'd think they'd definitely make a point in understanding the subject they make a living out of. Then again, so many people just don't do their jobs properly any more. The real amazement, is that people aren't even embarrassed at displaying their ignorance either......like it's par for the course. If I don't know something, I ask...........If I don't know and don't really want to know ( because it's highly unlikely to impact upon my life )......like how to be a brain surgeon........I just keep my mouth SHUT when brain surgery is being discussed......an ability so many people find almost impossible to do. The MP's in that you tube link, just sum up the ignorance about life, the ways of the world and business that most of them have...........but, of course, they're NEVER short of MOUTH !!

Message 45 of 84
See Most Recent

Tory leadership?

Evoman, Sajid Javid the business minister is in India at the moment starting talks on a trade deal.

China has also started initial talks on a trade deal.

With this in mind the government is going to hire 300 extra people to negotiate all future trade deals.

Message 46 of 84
See Most Recent

Tory leadership?

Encouraging, I was hoping that was the mindset.Smiley Happy

Message 47 of 84
See Most Recent

Tory leadership?

And what is it exactly that we would be trading with China for instance? We don't manufacture enough good quality stuff for them to be interested apart from-dare i say it, Whisky! they seem to like thatSmiley Very Happy

In return all China will want to do is dump mass loads of cheap cement and other building materials the same as they did for steel. Good luck with that one!

Message 48 of 84
See Most Recent

Tory leadership?

What an absolutely............. disgraceful shambles. What an absolute waste of time?

Words don't fail me but.................

Live long and prosper.

Message 50 of 84
See Most Recent

Tory leadership?

I just knew you would be impressed😀
Message 51 of 84
See Most Recent

Tory leadership?

Hmmmm, yes, come on, lets have a lot more posting from you, you've been quiet lately?

Live long and prosper.

Message 52 of 84
See Most Recent

Tory leadership?

Nothing but chamelons the brexit camp. They've been told all of them to wind their necks in (Boris,Gove,Leadsom)or else! Now their all gone who thinks really, that brexit will be endorsed in parliment the way it was set out or supposed to be?

Message 53 of 84
See Most Recent

Tory leadership?

I think Salmond should negotiate our withdrawal. He has the kind of sociopathic tendencies so invaluable when talking to those who don't speak Gaelic. And if ever you needed someone in a domestic crisis Salmonds yer man, can't wait to get his head on postage stamps but allowing for size he may have to settle for having it carved out of Granite on Ailsa Craig, pity the folks in Ayeshire having to stare at that for the rest of their lives.
Message 54 of 84
See Most Recent

Tory leadership?

No Archie I'm afraid the granite on Ailsa Craig is only allowed to be used for curling stones! 

Message 55 of 84
See Most Recent

Tory leadership?

That's fine I would be happy to see Salmond carved into a Curling stone and used as a door stop for the gents toilets on sauchiehall street.
Message 56 of 84
See Most Recent

Tory leadership?

Help! I can't keep up! I've been out all morning and have just returned to find Ms Leadsom has dropped out! I am sorry about that, but it was inevitable after the dirty tricks over the weekend. The good thing is we will have a new Prime Minister, and we can get on with the job in hand...i.e. Leaving the EU. I'm a bit uneasy about our new PM being a 'remainer, but to be fair she has tried to reassure people that Brexit means Brexit. Let's hope she keeps her promise.

Message 57 of 84
See Most Recent

Tory leadership?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk

as i said May Wins

Petal
Message 58 of 84
See Most Recent

Tory leadership?

So the Lib-Dems and Labour are calling for a snap election eh? I suppose that's a hope that if one were called they might, just might hang on to what bit of support and credibility they're clinging to?

They're also yakking on about a "democratically elected Prime Minister". We don't elect a Prime Minister, we elect a government by majority and the "winning" group leader becomes Prime Minister.

The country needs an election like it needs a hole in the head. There's far, far too much time and money wasted with elections of any sort and once every five years is enough.

Live long and prosper.

Message 59 of 84
See Most Recent

Tory leadership?

She did actually also say ( and I'm sure it was recorded somewhere ) that when / if she became prime minister, she would create a dedicated government department; to handle the negotiations of our Exit from the EU.......AND........she would put one of the avid Brexiters in charge of it............so we shall see what we shall see.

Message 60 of 84
See Most Recent