Starting sentances with the word SO is it a region thing or an annoying US ism to drive me nuts?

Anyone noticed lately, people starting a conversation or topic with the word ...So...as in ...So .i did this or i did that etc  it drives me nuts

Message 1 of 17
See Most Recent
16 REPLIES 16

Starting sentances with the word SO is it a region thing or an annoying US ism to drive me nuts?

I personally haven't noticed, but sure those conversations will now jump out at me. Woman FrustratedWoman LOL

Message 2 of 17
See Most Recent

sorry

Message 3 of 17
See Most Recent

So what?  🙂

Message 4 of 17
See Most Recent

It's nothing new, people have been saying it for at least a year to my knowledge. You hear it quite often when people are being interviewed on the news or asked questions on quiz shows etc. Like on Pointless the other night.

'What do you do for a living Carol?'

'So.....I'm a primary school teacher' Man Frustrated

These things are usually cyclic, I'm sure it will soon pass. Some years back a lot of people used to end sentences with 'Yeah' in a questioning tone as in 'I was on my way to work yeah?  It was annoying because it implied that the listener was just as stupid as the speaker. Fortunately you don't hear it so much these days.

One thing in particular that puts my teeth on edge is people replying to the most mundane questions with the word 'Absolutely!' Man Mad

Message 5 of 17
See Most Recent

It's funny you raise this as I've been thinking the same for a few months now. This morning I actually searched for the issue on the internet and the issue has been going on for a few years now, but I'm sure it's got a lot worse.

Apparently Mark Zuckerberg does it all the time. Perhaps he's the one that started it. Starting a question with the word 'so' has been around for ages, but now people are using it to start answers.

"So, how are you feeling?" sounds okay, but "So, what we are going to do is......" just doesn't. 

A similar thing happened years ago with people making statement and their voices raising a pitch at the end of the statement in the same way you would do so when asking a question. Apparently that started due to the TV show Neighbours when it was at it's peak in the late 1980's. Australians do it a lot and we just copied them.

I'm sure some other way of saying things will begin in the next few years..... "You, know what I mean?" Man Very Happy

Message 6 of 17
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Innit Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 17
See Most Recent

Drives me nuts too .............like

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 8 of 17
See Most Recent

It's been around for a while started off as a means of starting a discourse and has become an affectation especially among students. It is infuriating that it is used to start every spoken sentence,
Message 9 of 17
See Most Recent

I never really noticed it in speech, but see it a lot on these threads - "So I bought/sold this item..."  It just seems like starting in the middle of a sentence.

Message 10 of 17
See Most Recent

I also see a lot of very bad spelling on these threads.😏😟🙂

Message 11 of 17
See Most Recent

Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I was watching the two leaders on TV last night and even the PM starts a number of sentences with the word "SO"

So, I wouldn't be surprised if I did it and don't even know it......... Oh know! Is it an epidemic? Is there a treatment programme? Man Surprised

Message 12 of 17
See Most Recent

So innit like though know what i mean

Please do not feed the Troll
Message 13 of 17
See Most Recent

baybizz
Conversationalist

>> "Broadcaster declares war on the use of the word 'so'-  he is seeking to ban it from being used at the beginning of a sentence -  brands it a ‘noxious weed’ that invades everyday speech...

www.dailymail.co.uk article-3132195 so-so-wrong

+ 500 comments...

Message 14 of 17
See Most Recent

so not forgetting er like 'can i get'..........

Message 15 of 17
See Most Recent

Absolutely I have harangued my daughter for an excessive use of the word " like" it does my head in😀
Message 16 of 17
See Most Recent

All my friends' teenagers also say ...... 'like er....' all the time and it does my head in too!

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 17 of 17
See Most Recent